Old 01-15-2018, 04:44 PM
Initiate

Question Any drawbacks to using a mod?

Sorry if this seems ignorant, but a decent amount of surfing hasn't turned up a clear answer yet. I'd really love to use one of the inventory/stash management mods out there and get away from the hours spent swapping things around between mules.

What are the cons? I'm afraid if I start using a mod, it'll somehow flag my characters and I'll be unable to play them multiplayer... which sounds ridiculous, but I haven't found any good sources that tell me exactly how it works.

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2018, 05:23 PM
Praetorian

You can play any mods you want, the servers aren't regulated by devs or anything. If you want you can even cheat, no one can stop you.

Mods will not flag you per se, but you have to have matching database files otherwise you will not be able to connect to games that do not have the same mod.

Unmodded campaign characters cannot play with mod campaign characters. Characters from mod X will not work with mod Y (unless explicitly designed to work together.)

An external stash tool will not affect your game at all, it's not a mod. (GDStash)
Old 01-15-2018, 06:56 PM
Initiate

So I can use GDStash and still play multiplayer games like normal? Sweet! Would dearly love to get rid of all the duplicate crap scattered amongst 15+ chars
[EDIT] My chars are all cloud-saved/synched... still not an issue?

Last edited by PaladyneAE; 01-15-2018 at 06:58 PM. Reason: correct/update
Old 01-15-2018, 07:15 PM
Praetorian

No idea, could be. I don't use steam cloud.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:21 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaladyneAE View Post
So I can use GDStash and still play multiplayer games like normal? Sweet! Would dearly love to get rid of all the duplicate crap scattered amongst 15+ chars
[EDIT] My chars are all cloud-saved/synched... still not an issue?
GD Stash is not a mod in the classical sense of the word, it is a tool that reads and writes GD save files.

So you can play MP with anyone and use it, as it does not change any game files.

As you use cloud save, you should be careful however. You can store items at any time, even while playing, provided you copy them to GD Stash and not remove them from the game stash / char (and thereby change the save file).

You should only retrieve items while GD is not running however, as doing so while it is running can result in either the change not being registered by GD or even in corruption (empty stash with a single page seems to be the most frequent one).

I am not entirely sure why these happen, the tool always writes back the file correctly, but whatever GD and cloud save then do after it has been written sometimes leads to this.

I do recommend local saves, they just make the whole thing a lot safer and more convenient.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:53 AM
Initiate

I appreciate everyone's help - I'll ensure my cloud saves are locally synched and give GDStash a shot.

Tags
inventory, mod, newbie, noob, stash