Old 11-14-2017, 04:59 AM
Speaker

Default Need help optimizing physical dw blademaster.

Hi guys

I am trying to make my dw physical blademaster tanky enough to survive crucible gladator (without any buffs) while still having high dps. Here is my current build atm:

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/r2BoAAkV

It is largely inspired by jaja's awesome commando build which is predicated on the 100% elemental/chaos->physical conversion from the sword. My biggest problem right now is Zantarin, he literally one hits me.

If anyone has advice/changes they would make to my build please share your thoughts!

edit:

made some improvements based on feedback from Ceno. also managed to squeeze out 5% more crit and a little more hp

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/YNngj792

also trying to figure out if it's worth going for shadow strike+night's chill do to the cold to physical conversion. don't know where I'd get the points, though...

also wondering about a couple other things:
1. Is break morale worth overcapping?
2. Is veil of shadow worth the points, or is it better to max night's chill for the added cold damage?

update 2:

maxed blitz. dps is much better

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/qNYzxvr2

Last edited by cam_robert; 11-14-2017 at 10:09 PM. Reason: updated build
Old 11-14-2017, 05:25 AM
Champion

Zantrain shouldn't be anywhere near one-shotting you with those stats. Just don't engage him in melee until immediately after his shotgun goes off, and if you leave melee range at any time make sure to bait his shotgun attack again.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:53 AM
Supporter

never use blitz or shadow strike to engage zantarin. it's annoying, but simple to avoid if you pay attention.

if you SS/blitz him, he will cast his %life shotgun skill exactly in this moment and then you take a dozen of those projectiles and die. if you just run up normally, he will probably also cast the shotgun skill, but you can either dodge the projectiles completely or only get hit by 1-2 rather than all of them at once.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:24 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK1980 View Post
never use blitz or shadow strike to engage zantarin. it's annoying, but simple to avoid if you pay attention.

if you SS/blitz him, he will cast his %life shotgun skill exactly in this moment and then you take a dozen of those projectiles and die. if you just run up normally, he will probably also cast the shotgun skill, but you can either dodge the projectiles completely or only get hit by 1-2 rather than all of them at once.
No reason not to use ss/blitz. The shotgun ability has a 2sec or so cast time and is very noticable. It also has a 5+second cooldown. Just keep him about half the screen away w/ cover nearby, hide when he casts it, and then engage. Once you are in melee range he won't use again unless you get too far away.

Ps the shotgun cast looks kunda like he is doing some weird dance with LOTS of red glow surrounding him. Very very easy to see if you pay attention to him.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:12 AM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silben View Post
No reason not to use ss/blitz. The shotgun ability has a 2sec or so cast time and is very noticable. It also has a 5+second cooldown. Just keep him about half the screen away w/ cover nearby, hide when he casts it, and then engage. Once you are in melee range he won't use again unless you get too far away.

Ps the shotgun cast looks kunda like he is doing some weird dance with LOTS of red glow surrounding him. Very very easy to see if you pay attention to him.
maybe i'm just unlucky, but he *always* casts that shotgun skill exactly when i charge him with SS/blitz. can't count how many of my crucible runs ended prematurely by not paying attention for a second, blitzing him and always getting oneshot by the shotgun that always goes off exactly that moment.

of course you can blitz him after he casts it, but you can't blitz him from a distance because he will only cast it when you get close enough, so you have to run up first and wait for the cast. if you just blitz him right away, it's an automatic game over.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:49 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK1980 View Post
maybe i'm just unlucky, but he *always* casts that shotgun skill exactly when i charge him with SS/blitz. can't count how many of my crucible runs ended prematurely by not paying attention for a second, blitzing him and always getting oneshot by the shotgun that always goes off exactly that moment.

of course you can blitz him after he casts it, but you can't blitz him from a distance because he will only cast it when you get close enough, so you have to run up first and wait for the cast. if you just blitz him right away, it's an automatic game over.
That sounds like a timing thing. You just happen to always want to blitz at the same time he always wants to shotgun.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:11 PM
Praetorian

That's a pretty strong build already, I think most of your improvement will come from knowledge and better playstyle (kiting etc.)

Your armor is high but with that HP you're definitely going to die sometimes in Gladiator with a DW build. I would just get the life buff since you get Tribute for free anyway.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:02 PM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyu View Post
That's a pretty strong build already, I think most of your improvement will come from knowledge and better playstyle (kiting etc.)

Your armor is high but with that HP you're definitely going to die sometimes in Gladiator with a DW build. I would just get the life buff since you get Tribute for free anyway.
Thanks weyu. going to practice crucible today and try and get the hang of kiting when necessary. DW just doesn't have the luxury of mindlessly facetanking like a shield build lol.

thanks everyone else for tips on dealing with zantarin

Tags
blademaster, crucible, dualwield, physical, soldier