Old 04-13-2017, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator

Well, I gave it a run. Not really sure what kind of feedback you are after, but as I mainly just set out to explore and really have no idea what percentage of the map I managed to reveal, I will just post these two screens that show you where I manged to get to.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170413085022_1.jpg
Views:	637
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	14157
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170413085017_1.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	14158

As long as you first accept my completely positive reaction to your work, if I have to be critical, my main critique is that you basically have to use camera rotation to navigate and find certain points. Not sure if you should really try to fix this at this point or not, but as a player that never rotates the camera, that was kind of annoying. After that, my main issue what that the mini-map felt less than helpful for finding the correct path a lot of times.

But overall, 99/100 for a map. Really happy to see somebody was dedicated enough to make it as far as you did.

@Ceno, the portal map in this mod is functional. Looks like Van Houck figured it out (I remember from my failed TQ map editing that that was like a 3-day learning event for me).
Last edited by jiaco; Tomorrow at 11:34 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:06 AM
Minister of Information

I found 9 Odd Stones - one of them in a Marked Rock... but thank you for the hint.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:37 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiaco View Post
@Ceno, the portal map in this mod is functional. Looks like Van Houck figured it out (I remember from my failed TQ map editing that that was like a 3-day learning event for me).
Time to decompile the source, since looking at vanilla was no help.

Some things:

You can go off the pathing from the position below:

Spoiler!

And from there, you can go as deep out of bounds as to here:

Spoiler!

All in all, this one spot in particular was my favorite little thing you did; a very nice transition between scenes:

Spoiler!

Your attention to detail is superb and your environments visually stunning. I intend to study your world quite a bit as I continue to work on Zenith. Hell, even Crate should take a look at what you've done, as I found Nydiamar to be vastly more captivating than Cairn. Having said that, if you do intend to start populating the world with enemies, I'll caution you that many of your pathable areas are very narrow and combat adheres to wider spaces.

10/12 shards found. I'll find the other two tomorrow, and looking forward to that special unlock.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:50 PM
Speaker

READ THIS:

--- Showing Regret (Level 85 and 100) play-through ---

If you are at Edge of Eternity, interact with the Lectern of Wisdom. You will be set to level 85 (or 100), get 50 Devotion points (or 55), 1000000 iron bits, faction reputation, and 3 attribute & skill points.
When killing certain enemies, your reputation will decrease, since I'm currently using the Black Legion as the faction. To get it up again, interact with the Lectern of Wisdom again.
(Only if < 100) To level up your (currently selected) Devotion-skills or get more iron bits, interact with the Lectern of Wisdom again. You can do this as often as you want.

--- Not Showing Regret (Level 1, 15 and 45) play-through ---

You will be at an alternate version of Edge of Eternity. The differences are:
  • Atmosphere
  • Removed merchants with endgame items
  • Added (all) faction merchants and two normal ones
  • Lectern of Questing
  • Portal leading to the other version of Edge of Eternity, which you can unlock if you have reached level 85
Lectern of Questing will grant you quests (currently one bounty). Only one can be active at one time. The quest requires you to kill a given amount of enemies (skeletons), but offers different rewards to choose from:
  • Leveling --- grants you 3 levels each time you complete it
  • Equipment --- grants you 3 random epic or legendary items each time
  • Crafting --- grants you materials
  • Quest --- completing those allows you to repeat one of the unique quests with rewards again
This quite simple quest is intended to ease the leveling progress. I chose skeletons as the bounty, since those are the most frequent enemies you will encounter in Nydiamar -- and this frequency increases the further you get in the world, e.g. the Desert spawns a huge(!) amount of skeletons (compared to the Abandoned House) to easily complete the quests. Therefore, you get rewarded for progressing the world.
While leveling up you will increase the required amount of kills too, to compensate the advanced / lower kill time. As an example: Leveling Tier I requires 50 skeletons to complete, Leveling Tier VI requires you 800. Tier VI unlocks if you have reached level 80, so it's justified, considering how long it would take you to get those last 3 levels by leveling normally.
Come back to the Lectern of Wisdom to gain Devotion points, faction reputation, some Attribute and Skill points and equipment.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do not go lower than those settings or else some areas are not going to look or work like they should. I'm sorry if you can't go any higher, sadly changing the areas so that they are not depending on your settings is not possible at all, but I'm trying to avoid it in future areas. Nonetheless, it's still possible to play through, but it will look terrible.

Set Shadows to High or higher.
Set Shaders to Medium or higher.
Set Reflections to Off.
Set Lighting to Medium or higher.
Set Weather to Low or higher.

Lowest possible settings will look like this, excluding the resolution (Picture occasionally won't load, for whatever reason):

You can use existing characters from your main game (not tested enough, may lead to crashes). Do the following to accomplish this:
  1. Go to your Grim Dawn (Documents) directory, where the saves are located ("Documents\My Games\Grim Dawn\save")
  2. Do a backup of your character (the one you want) in "\main"
  3. Copy your character to the "\user" directory
  4. Go into the game, create a new character, load (into the mod) at every difficulty once (don't play, just get in and then back to the main menu)
  5. Close the game & get back to your Grim Dawn (Documents) directory
  6. Now copy the folder called "Maps_maptest.map" in your newly created character folder to the character you want to play with
  7. Done - you can play now
You can download the folder (extract the folder from the .7z file) and skip step 4 and 5.

You can port a character to the main game too. Alternatively, you may just use the 'NydiamarMainCampaign' entry.

Here are the locations of the "Weird Stones", if you are struggling in finding them all:
Spoiler!

Edited this post so it's only about the shard locations, how to play and importing a character.

Last edited by Van Houck; 08-09-2018 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Added settings requirements
  This is the last staff post in this thread.   #15  
Old 04-13-2017, 01:28 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

Satisfying to see progress on your own skills, yeah?
Old 04-13-2017, 02:04 PM
Ascendant

Jesus Christ these look fantastic

--------
Useful mods-
Spoiler!
Old 04-18-2017, 02:53 AM
Speaker

Default Update 1 Post

This post is basically a bump.

Here are two more pictures, since I couldn't include them in the original post

Edge of Eternity

Choice

Some notes:
The balance may be off. Seriously, I managed to get through everything without dying, but there was that one pack, with just gazers, and one of them did cast that lightning, which did keep one-hitting me. Alkamos, no problem, but those gazers ... I removed some of them, basically those, which seemed like being able to cast lightning. But this wasn't expected at all, so there may be some "over the top" packs, which I did not spot. So, report back, if something seems like (absurdly) unfair.

Yes, pathing may be bad (but not that bad). Yes, you sometimes can't see anything. I may call it a feature.
On the other hand, I already did some improvements, but to compensate them, I somehow made the map darker. If it's too bad, I'm gonna change it.

If someone knows how to change the name of an existing faction, please let me know. Couldn't figure it out ...

And at last, how do I change the title of this thread?

Last edited by Van Houck; 04-18-2017 at 03:03 AM. Reason: Relinked Pics
Old 04-18-2017, 03:04 AM
Praetorian

This looks pretty damn cool. How long you been working on this?

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742 using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2017, 03:23 AM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by powbam View Post
This looks pretty damn cool. How long you been working on this?

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742 using Tapatalk
I have removed the link, but I did release the first "version" one year ago. So, since then, till now, with many breaks inbetween. Currently got quite some free time, so that Update 1 did not take that long.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:04 AM
Minister of Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Houck View Post
And at last, how do I change the title of this thread?
This requires moderator power - send us a PM or report your thread in the future. I changed it according to the title of your first post.

Last edited by eisprinzessin; 04-18-2017 at 06:01 PM. Reason: typo

Tags
map, mod