Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Community Section > Modding - Tutorials and Help

Old 05-02-2016, 02:59 PM
Speaker

Using symbolic links I got rid of that unpleasant saving problem. Basically, I turned my custom hero into a shortcut to my main hero. All progress between my main and custom hero is now shared. I did the same thing to my unlocked blacksmith formulas.
Somehow it doesn't work for the shared stash.

Here's how you do it:
Warning: the instructions below can ruin your save games if you do something wrong. To be safe, make a back-up of your whole save folder first.

You need to open notepad and copy+paste the code below. Later, you will need to turn it into a batch file, but first you must edit the path to your own save folders. Best is to use replace all (ctr+h) in notepad to make sure you don't miss anything.
  • USERNAME should be your username
  • CHARACTERNAME should be the name of your vanilla game hero
  • MODNAME should be the name of the mod that you are sharing your formulas with. The first time you play a mod a folder is made in the save folder, and MODNAME should be spelled the same. If you don't want to share formulas you can forget about this one.

When you are done, click save as, and in the following screen click save as again, select all file types, and add .bat to the name of your file. Save and you now have your very own batch-file! Before you run it, you have to make sure that there is no custom hero with the same name as your main hero, because if the file already exists the code will not work. The same is true for your formulas so if you want this you have to remove or back up (which you already did, right?) the files formulas.gst and formulas.gst.bak. Remove them from Grim Dawn\save\modname and not from Grim Dawn\save (!).

Finally, right-click the batch-file and select run as administrator.

If you are successful, deleting either your main hero or your custom hero in-game will delete both. If you ever wish to get rid of these symbolic link shenanigans you must manually delete the two formulas in save\modname\ and your custom hero folder save\custom\_charactername. Or you can use your back-up.

Code:
mklink /d c:\users\"USERNAME"\documents\"my games"\"grim dawn"\save\user\"_CHARACTERNAME" c:\users\"USERNAME"\documents\"my games"\"grim dawn"\save\main\"_CHARACTERNAME"

mklink c:\users\"USERNAME"\documents\"my games"\"grim dawn"\save\"MODNAME"\formulas.gst c:\users\"USERNAME"\documents\"my games"\"grim dawn"\save\formulas.gst
mklink c:\users\"USERNAME"\documents\"my games"\"grim dawn"\save\"MODNAME"\formulas.gst.bak c:\users\"USERNAME"\documents\"my games"\"grim dawn"\save\formulas.gst.bak
Old 05-18-2016, 08:39 AM
Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceno View Post
For some reason, when a main-campaign character is saved during a custom-game, the save is recreated in the main-campaign folder (i.e., 'main'). So if you want to keep your custom campaign versions of your main campaign characters up-to-date, repeat the above steps each time you exit a session. This does not apply to characters made in the custom campaign itself; they will save correctly.
This is probably due to an entry called "isInMainQuest" <bool>. At least this entry existed in tq and I'm pretty sure it does in some form for gd, too and makes the game use the main game directory to save the character if this is set to true (which it is by default when copying a main character over).
Old 05-21-2016, 12:41 AM
Initiate

i have tried everything i disable the cloud saves and i delete steam saves and the game dose not read the local save can some one pls help me to fix this problem
Old 05-21-2016, 01:05 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfe View Post
This is probably due to an entry called "isInMainQuest" <bool>. At least this entry existed in tq and I'm pretty sure it does in some form for gd, too
it does exist...
Old 07-13-2016, 02:46 PM
Supporter

Pointing out that Grim Dawg's solution is working fine for me. I'll add:

a) make sure the character you wish to link from /save/main doesn't already have a folder in /save/user with the same name

b) make sure you copy the exact path for both /save folders when you create your .bat file, to do that, you can shift + right click > copy path both folders. The .bat file will look like this: mklink /d "path1" "path2"
Old 07-25-2016, 02:21 PM
Initiate

If I've already been playing with Cloud Save, is there a way to get my character data? I don't see it anywhere and don't see any of the relevant folders being discussed in this thread.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:47 PM
Counsel

I've been trying to use the stasher mod for more space but somehow its not working out..
Main thing i have is that i only have a "main" folder in my GD folder but not a "user" folder like its shown at the beginning of the thread.
I copied my character to the mod folder and into the Stasher mod folder and even linked them symboticly with the main ones but no succes.
(PS cloudsaves are off, hell they were never on)
So if someone knows what i did wrong plz enlighten me
Old 09-21-2016, 11:30 AM
Initiate

Hi,

Sorry for posting here, but the Dail mod thread is closed.

I installed Dail mod. Now, under custom game I have two options, main map and resources. I was expecting ONE, so what to do now, please?

In the Mods folder I created there are now 3 Dail options, Dail, Survival and Rift. The install explanation is very vague, it says one uses eternal mod, the other Dga mod, how new users can know whats about, I have no clue.

Do I have to delete 2 of them so I can use the remaining one? And where to find detailed data about.

Thanks

Last edited by Valery; 09-21-2016 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:10 AM
Initiate

is it possible to pull custom game characters over to campaign, and if so do their equipment and such transfer? i understand its not probable with mods that have customs classes.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:39 PM
Speaker

Is there a way to transfer your stash over to the mod ?. I tried copying transfer.gst and formulas but the stash in the mod folder still is in it's default state.

Tags
custom campaign, mod, save, save file