Old 03-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Acolyte

Default Sitting/ Resting?

Just curious and dont know if its been offered, but will there be a Sit or Rest button for a little faster healing when out in the field but not engaged in combat? maybe save a bit on pots and such.
just thought ide throw in my well-rusted 2cents
Old 03-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Lord Advocate

There will be accelerated health/mana regen when not in combat after a certain amount of time.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:04 PM
Herald

Yeah, the accelerated health regenration is meant to keep you "in the fight" becaue you know, this is an action game.

Also, I'm sure it'll be easier to balance each fight knowing that the player will be at max health or near max health each time.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:47 PM
Acolyte

Slow regeneration sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renevent View Post
There will be accelerated health/mana regen when not in combat after a certain amount of time.
I was hoping it wouldn't be like Titan Quest because that game bore the hell out of me because of the 1 point health regeneration per sec.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:24 PM
Minister of Information

Items, charms and skills can modify regeneration in TQ. So, this is a question of your build - admittedly, this is regardless if you are in or out of battle. I'd assume (going off topic) this will still be something to think about in GD. From TQ.net -> My char became too tough...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormy Fairweather
With my trance up, I have 220 regen that goes to over 600 when adreneline proc's, which it does almost all the time thanks to resilience being maxed. I can completely ignore up to five machae archers without my health even dropping and that is without adrenaline proc's.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:59 PM
Lord Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElitesamuraI26 View Post
I was hoping it wouldn't be like Titan Quest because that game bore the hell out of me because of the 1 point health regeneration per sec.
In TQ there's skills that heal and of course potions. Also, you can make your health regen in TQ crazy fast. I'm actually playing a Defense/Warfare character right now focused on health regen.

With enough charms and +healthregen% I have my regen at around 75 health per sec, and when adrenalin kicks in it's like 300-400 health per second even in combat. I'm pretty sure I can get it higher too need a couple better pieces of armor.

TQ is hard like that makes you work for good results (which is what I love about the game)

Anyways based on what Medierra said this won't be an issue for you in Grim Dawn as all character regenerate health quickly out of combat.
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #7  
Old 03-23-2011, 12:05 AM
Crate Employee - Designer

The accelerated health regen is similar to a shooter. If you're not being hit for a few seconds it kicks in and will regenerated you from 1hp to full in about 5-8 seconds. It actually works a lot like a health potion where you tend to want to break away from enemies for a couple seconds to let the regen work then dive back in. Basically its like having health potions that you don't have to buy / activate except, you can't just sit in the middle of combat and pop them.

It works surprisingly well once you get used to it. I think it is a win-win because it eliminates the frustrating upkeep of buying and constantly downing potions to keep your health up while also making combat a little more dynamic.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:42 AM
Lord Advocate

Does health regen still play a part in combat though...if you invest in it?
Old 03-23-2011, 01:56 AM
Herald

It seems like every new ARPG is attempting to 'fix' the potion spamming problem, except for maybe Torchlight 2.

Hell, Medierra, if you have time look at the direction Path of Exile decided to go. It's unique, for sure anyway. I'm some-what impressed but can't decide until I try it.

http://www.pathofexile.com/news/2011...v-diary-flasks

I suggested things like adding a cool-down to the mechanic. It seems that they combined the idea of killing enemies refilling health, instead killing enemies refills these flasks that you can re-use. Flasks also have unique mods and utility. Anyways, I like how people are trying to fix what's wrong with certain game mechanics.

Last edited by Scryer; 03-23-2011 at 02:00 AM.
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #10  
Old 03-23-2011, 03:32 AM
Crate Employee - Designer

That sounds interesting.

Personally though, I like the simplicity of our current system. We still have health potions with long cool-downs on them for those "oh shit" moments when you just can't get away fast enough. I think they're mainly be useful in hardcore mode. What I really like about the fast-regen is that once you get used to it, you don't notice its there.

Health regen bonuses are probably even more useful because they speed up the time it takes you to fast-regen and get back in a fight. This can be especially valuable if you're fighting an enemy that makes it difficult to avoid being hit for several seconds.

It is hard explain how this system will really feel to you but it is one of the rare times in game design where I feel really happy with a solution. Usually as a designer you're just choosing the lesser of many evils. A lot of people are trying to address health potions and I've looked at other solutions (to consider whether I should steal them of course) but I really like what we have. I think it succeeds on multiple levels because it is simple, non-intrusive, it doesn't change the gameplay dynamic too much, which I don't think is what people really want but it does make you move more in combat.
Closed Thread

Tags
health, potions