Old 01-26-2017, 06:35 AM
Praetorian

Default [Mod] [Mastery] Occultist Redux

The Occultist is, at the time of this writing, in a fairly odd spot right now. Some aspects of it are overpowered, some are underpowered, but virtually the entire mastery is a 'support' mastery in the sense that its skills benefit other mastery's skills moreso than its own. In addition, there's a recurring problem with the Occultist with itemization, as there are too many Occultist-themed items with +Vitality Damage and +Attack Speed or +Chaos Damage and +Casting Speed, even though within the Occultist these sorts of abilities do not exist.

This mod attempts to fix all of the above. This mod is partially a sort of Feedback/Idea for Crate to take inspiration from as well as for the community to physically enjoy in the meantime.

Before I get into the specifics of the changes made, I'd like to take the time to answer a couple questions I imagine some of you may have.
Q: Will this be added to Cornucopia by default, given that Cornucopia is a rebalancing mod and you're one of its developers?
A: Not by my call. I wouldn't argue against its merge, but I also have no intention to merge it at present. Occultist Redux is not an attempt at rebalancing the mastery (although some over-performing skills were tweaked), rather, it's an attempt at redesigning the mastery toward something with more build possibilities and a broader sense of purpose all with the intent of making it fun.

Q: Why the Occultist?
A: As described above, Occultist is too much of a support mastery to feel complete. There's really only three ways to use Occultist as your main mastery, and that's with a Pet build, a DEE build or a SoC build. This mod attempts to broaden the ways you can 'main' Occultist while leaving its supportive nature intact, if not improving upon it. More importantly than that, I chose the Occultist simply because I've never liked the mastery since I first played Grim Dawn. It's been powerful, and I've made plenty of characters involving the Occultist, but I never found the mastery itself functionally fun.

Q: Will you rework--
A: No. I have no intention to rework any of the other masteries in Grim Dawn. I think they already do what they need to in order to synergize with themselves and function wholly.

VERSION 1.0
^download^

Changes to the Mastery:

Spoiler!

I hope you enjoy Occultist Redux. Let me know of any suggestions you have or bugs you find.
-Ceno

Last edited by Ceno; 11-05-2017 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:07 AM
Campaigner

Giving it a whirl, will let you know.

Using Bloody Pox build, i've heard that one was pretty scrutinized.

I see why it's an avoided skill. At lvl 12, I couldn't really even damage Milton Hart, and I was throwing all I had at him. I get that it's a sort of passive DoT, but with Fevered Rage, it doesn't even make a good support skill. Not giving up yet, i've been quick to judge and wrong before.

Last edited by Heathen; 01-26-2017 at 08:36 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:13 AM
Praetorian

Eh. I really haven't improved the damage of Bloody Pox...it still likely sucks. It just feels better while it sucks.

If you want it to do damage, get Cornucopia.

Thanks, though.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:24 AM
Campaigner

In the cellar, it was pretty ok, I mean, at least superior than auto-attacking everything to death. And I dig that newly effected enemies suffer the entire duration (I know it always has). But as you and everyone else knows, nobody in their right minds should really ever use it.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:35 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceno View Post
Merged Bonds of Bysmiel with Solael's Witchfire. Merged Manipulation with Second Rite.
Merged Mend Flesh into Summon Familiar. Merged Ember Claw into Summon Hellhound. Moved the other pet skills up a bit; the Familiar's other skills can be accessed one rank earlier, and the Hellhound's two ranks earlier.
In case anyone cares, these are the two I am most strongly considering to put into Cornucopia. I think it does a lot to open up Occultist as making hybrid pet builds a viable thing. Considering something similar for Shaman too.

# of level 100 characters I have atm: 73
Old 01-26-2017, 11:15 AM
Ascendant

Fuckin' Awesome work Ceno!! I haven't tried any mods yet but this new skill is compelling me to try it

Quote:
One of the big complaints with the Occultist is that it features a lot of flat damage seemingly benefiting a Weapon Attack, but features no such skill of its own. This goes back to the original problem of Occultist being a support mastery. Now, it has its own attack. This skill works with Weapon Pool Skills, like Fire Strike or Savagery do, and is centered around Vitality Damage. This skill has no Weapon Requirements.

Its modifier provides the skill with innate Attack Damage Converted to Health, +% Vitality Damage, and some flat Chaos Damage.

I tried to balance these skills similarly to Fire Strike while keeping in mind that it provides no AoE whatsoever and is only made available deep into the Occultist mastery.
P.S

You people working the Corncuopia should consider making your own game ;). Great job with this solo redux , Ceno

EDIT:

Is this the first rework of a class or does Cornucopia have other reworks as well?

--------
Useful mods-
Spoiler!
Old 01-26-2017, 02:22 PM
Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceno View Post
Q: Will this be added to Cornucopia by default, given that Cornucopia is a rebalancing mod and you're one of its developers?
A: Not by my call. I wouldn't argue against its merge, but I also have no intention to merge it at present. Occultist Redux is not an attempt at rebalancing the mastery (although some over-performing skills were tweaked), rather, it's an attempt at redesigning the mastery toward something with more build possibilities and a broader sense of purpose all with the intent of making it fun.
Even when u have answered it. Please at this to Cornucopia.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:18 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chthon View Post
Is this the first rework of a class or does Cornucopia have other reworks as well?
Let's not derail this thread, as it is it's own entity, but I will answer this here.

We have rebalanced over 60% of the vanilla game's skills in cornucopia. But as for reworking, as in replacing/drastically changing skills, we have only done a few. We added some transmutors, and raven's lightning or and lightning strike are very different in cornucopia. As just some examples.

# of level 100 characters I have atm: 73
Old 01-26-2017, 03:21 PM
Ascendant

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoomgod View Post
Let's not derail this thread, as it is it's own entity, but I will answer this here.

We have rebalanced over 60% of the vanilla game's skills in cornucopia. But as for reworking, as in replacing/drastically changing skills, we have only done a few. We added some transmutors, and raven's lightning or and lightning strike are very different in cornucopia. As just some examples.
Thanks /10char

--------
Useful mods-
Spoiler!
Old 01-26-2017, 03:58 PM
Speaker

As a single class the occultist feels way better to play. With the merging of the first pet skills they are way stronger. Maybe their merged skill should be toned down a bit. The ember claw of the hellhound quiet packs a punch without any pet damage bonus. The attack skill is a nice addition and makes a combo with the nightblade better to play.

Off topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoomgod View Post
In case anyone cares, these are the two I am most strongly considering to put into Cornucopia. I think it does a lot to open up Occultist as making hybrid pet builds a viable thing. Considering something similar for Shaman too.
Please yes! I always wanted to play a hybrid but it always felt like not having enough skill points to do it

Edit: Obvious Spelling errors

Tags
mastery, mod, occultist, rework