Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Classes, Skills and Builds

Old 01-05-2017, 02:22 PM
Campaigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoV View Post
I agree with everything you stated, except the red part.
Seriously, why vitality? Vitality has largest rr shred in game devouring swarm, not to mention cof.
All hydralisks have at least 100% resistance. Pointy black dudes and aetherial bouncers have very high, champions even 80%. Even skeletons and ghosts have 30-50%. Endgame bosses consistently have 80% or more. Coupled with the fact that there is not a single spell, proc or attack that does overwhelmingly high vitality damage, except maybe Phantasmal blades with the new and improved Demonslayer set AND the fact that the available constellations are all over the place and neither is very good, vitality+chaos are consistently the slowest content clearers in the game.

Just compare to lightning or piercing damage. Or aether. Or physical. Don't get me started on poison/acid.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:58 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralCash View Post
All hydralisks have at least 100% resistance. Pointy black dudes and aetherial bouncers have very high, champions even 80%. Even skeletons and ghosts have 30-50%. Endgame bosses consistently have 80% or more. Coupled with the fact that there is not a single spell, proc or attack that does overwhelmingly high vitality damage, except maybe Phantasmal blades with the new and improved Demonslayer set AND the fact that the available constellations are all over the place and neither is very good, vitality+chaos are consistently the slowest content clearers in the game.

Just compare to lightning or piercing damage. Or aether. Or physical. Don't get me started on poison/acid.
I have 3 vitality dmg builds (PB tricster, DEE/sigil conjurer and DW savagery conjurer) and 4 chaos dmg builds (2H ranged harbinger, DW pistol, DW melee and S&B melee) and majority of them are clearing faster than any phys dmg build I made including S&B BM and wichblade. With DW melee chaos pyro and DW melee vitality cojurer leading the ranks when game clearing time is concerned. Only thing that can measure with them aether dmg vise is 2H ranged vortex build and just because of vortex.
I cant compare it to lightning or pierce cuz those two dmg types are, due to many things, strongest when it comes to non dot imho but I can compare it easily with any other dmg type.

Sigil+cof alone on my vitality conjurer is more than -100% rr, If you add to that some flat rr reduction, % rr, maybe few more sources of -% rr, you diont care does some mobs or heroes have 80% or 100% vitality resistance, cuz after your rrs are applied they are below 0% no mater what.

P.S. My apologies to OP because of off topic things.

Last edited by JoV; 01-05-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:21 AM
Advocate

@OP: I don't want to sound like a 'dick', but I don't think you are playing to the strenghts of AAR with your build. Since I actually played a couple of days with a Chaos Warlock in 1.0.0.6. and managed to finish Gladiator Solo with it, let me point out some things:

1. Too low OA: AAR gets around 5-6 ticks/ second at max level and 200% casting speed. That means in order to get the most out of it you should have an OA around 2900-3000 or higher. Replace your amulet with Beronath and keep an Avatar of Mercy in your pocket for "stun-lockers" and the Crucible.

2. Insufficient radial coverage: AAR ticks fast, so you would want radial damage attached to it in order to cover the fact that you are basically a turret. Voidsteel gauntlets is the right idea but I suggest you attach Flame Torrent to AAR because it has a WDC, meaning you will life-leech and energy-leech (IEE) on an area. This is paramount for keeping your enegery levels high without overinvesting in spirit or 'bullshit' constellations. Last but not least: GET AGRIVIX !!!

3. Too low DA: Get a Golemborn at least and farm some nice Gollus rings.

4. Not enough resistance reduction: you have no manticore and no black star. I suggest you go with the Black Star. It gives nice resistance reduction and provides you with AoE. Generally, that means around a 5-6k dps increase in a couple of seconds. Without that flat resistance reduction, there are not enough "-%" sources in the game to pull off a competitive chaos build. Harbinger crossbow has a massive one, but it is not a caster weapon. Ergo, you are stuck with Manticore or Black Star.

5. Too much investment in Sigil. The +x Sigil buffs on the Black Covenant set is meaningless. In fact, it is a red herring. Vitality conjurers can pull it off due to massive additive sources of "-%" reduction to vitality. Warlocks...can't. The survivability boost provided by the Sigil in Ultimate and/or Crucible is very low for a Warlock. Even with mass destruction and 22/12 in sigil, you will still be killed if you want to facetank the Mad Queen. Why, because the sigil ticks and triggers the retaliation aura. Furthermore, going is Sigil forced you to take a BoM in order to get to the hard cap of AAR. Bad idea. Without those points you could:
a) Invest in Mirror or Conversion - which is much more useful from a survivability PoV.
b) Get Black Star and still have AAR and Disintegration at max cap.
c) Get more points into Devastation, i.e. the most powerful skill in the game that will now do aether, fire and chaos damage. Consequently, chaos Harbingers will not take one hundred years to kill.

Have a nice day, man and enjoy chaos AAR.

Last edited by Avatar of Dreeg; 01-06-2017 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:57 AM
Ascendant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar of Dreeg View Post
Seeing you here reminds me that you have a Black Flame AAR warlock that beat gladiator crucible. Any plans to post it?

--------
Useful mods-
Spoiler!
Old 01-08-2017, 07:43 AM
Advocate

I have updated the build slightly based on comments here. I would also like to address some concerns.

1. The Badge of Mastery was solely for the offensive ability and elemental resistance. This build sorely lacks elemental resistance, and I need to get it from somewhere. I can easily max out my skills without it. However, the comments motivated me to rethink my gear and I found a way to make Black Star of Deceit work by replacing one of my rings to cover the deficit in resistances (my green gear is all either Harmonious or of Nature's Bounty, you must focus on elemental resistance for gear). I have shifted skill points accordingly.

2. My energy regeneration is so prodigious that I have no use for energy leech. This is also why I didn't bother maxing out Iskandra's Elemental Exchange. I do not need any more. Therefore, I did not need Flame Torrent to trigger energy leech. As for the radial coverage I lose from that, I already do have Agrivix's Malice equipped. There is no need to tell me to equip it again.

3. I already feature resistance reduction from Eldritch Fire (yes, it does that). I don't need to switch to a suboptimal constellation like Manticore like the Aether builds do. This is reason #2 for not taking Flame Torrent (otherwise it is an appealing choice). Resistance reduction also comes from Solael's Flame, granted by Symbol of Solael. I have also now added Black Star of Deceit as suggested. That's 3 sources of resistance reduction. Is that not plenty?

4. Yes, my DA is low, but I don't think I can do anything about that without gimping other aspects of the build. I do not want to lose the +points to Destruction from the boots, or the auto Doom Bolt from the ring, and those are the only 2 pieces that could reasonably be changed out. If anyone wants to make a Chaos Ray character of their own, they should feel free to make their own choice about that. Follow me or don't, it doesn't bother me. I would like to say thought that in my own experience, the DA has not caused me any noticeable problems. If you must, feel free to put more points into physique. I stopped because I had plenty of health, but as I stated before, I have plenty of energy regeneration so it should not be a problem to pull at least some from spirit.

5. I have done the best I can for OA. If you must, you can change out the gear I mentioned before for more OA, but you'd have to choose between that and DA. As much as I would like, I just cannot have everything.

6. Sigil of Consumption is a healing skill, not a damage skill. You need to change your philosophy. I am not attempting to kill anything with it. Instead, it provides a sizable boost to your health regeneration in battle (doubly so since I have attached Dryad's Blessing to it). This helps you to facetank enemies when you are standing still with Aether Ray, or in your Ritual Circle.

7. Finally, Solael's Witchfire has a great looking evil aura, I have plenty of energy regeneration, and I just don't care. Feel free to do what you want. Note that you will have to bind the devotion to Aether-Ward Aura instead.

I don't wish to present my opinions as facts that everyone must follow. One of the things I enjoy most about this game is the great degree of customization allowed in builds. I wanted to make this build public because I didn't see much discussion going on about the Black Flame set and Chaos Ray builds, and I wanted to get one started. There may be room for improvement (because there is always room for improvement) but ultimately personal opinions will come into play at some point. I know you will have opinions that differ from mine, and I encourage discussion, because I like the Black Flame set and transmuted Aether Ray.

Lastly, I have figured out recording videos and posting to Youtube, but it is... slow. It will probably take a couple of days for Youtube to upload them all, but rest assured, they are recorded and uploading. I will update the post once again when they are done. I hope you will see that I have plenty of both energy regeneration and healing, and that the build is a fun and viable option for the new Port Valbury content (because that is what I recorded).
Old 01-10-2017, 05:41 AM
Advocate

I have updated the original post to include videos.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:16 AM
Emissary

Very nice videos
Old 01-10-2017, 06:23 AM
Advocate

Thank you.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:58 AM
Speaker

Default Leveling tips?

Any tips for what skills to invest in first during leveling?
Old 01-10-2017, 05:20 PM
Ascendant

Neat build. Add it to Build Compendium V

--------
Useful mods-
Spoiler!

Tags
albrecht's aether ray, arcanist, occultist, sigil of consumption, warlock