Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Classes, Skills and Builds

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 12:45 AM
Supporter

Default A question about Occultist / Witch Hunter

So, I recently purchased GD and I must say it is a very well put game. I love Occultist, finally I can have my Poison Necro without investing in Bone or Summon skills(imo Poison Necro always lacked a Ranged attack and to put the salt on a wound, your Skellie Mages used a Poison Bolt ). Now, onto the question at hand:

This is my current level 21 build, it simply waded through everything without as much as blinking(ok, the Warden kinda got me with those jagged daggers, then I panicked and drank a potion, idk why):

http://grimcalc.com/build/1006-KRSAa0

The questions:

1. Is Bloody Pox line needed? Also, does Pox work fully with Dreeg's constellation bonus poison etc damage(if I slot it)?
2. How good are Curse of Fatality and Blood of Dreeg?
3. About the upgrades on Dreeg's Evil Eye, any recommendations on those(I'm talking about "Blood Burst", "Terrifying Gaze" etc)? I find the "Focused Gaze" passive VERY GOOD. I mean, my EE deals like 2,2k over 6s. And I use it for single target, so I don't care that it has 4s cooldown.
4. I wanted to go Nightblade secondary, so I get the +% poison damage and various other things. Also, WH just fits with the setting of a game you've to admit.
5. Where should I go from Dreeg's Constellation in Devotions? Should I go towards the Akeron's Scorpion or towards the Bat -> the Rat? The final goal is Abom, ofc.

These are my two ideas:

http://grimcalc.com/build/1006-H2vEU0 (my pure Occultist)
http://grimcalc.com/build/1006-sda6Kl (my Witch Hunter build)

Any criticisms and advices are, of course, welcome.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:58 AM
Praetorian

I suggest you go Witch Hunter and not pure Occultist. The entire game balance is built around with dual mastery in mind and going one mastery only makes the game seriously hard. It's certainly doable in Veteran, but Elite and Ultimate i don't think so.

Curse of Fraility is probably the best debuff in the game. And if you go Poison, pick the Vulnerability modifier, it can multiple your damage by a lot.

Also yes, pick Blood of Dreeg. Heal, Offensive Ability, Health regen and if you pick the Aspect of the Guardian modifier (which you should) physical resistance and extra damage.
Old 11-27-2016, 01:07 AM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norzan View Post
I suggest you go Witch Hunter and not pure Occultist. The entire game balance is built around with dual mastery in mind and going one mastery only makes the game seriously hard. It's certainly doable in Veteran, but Elite and Ultimate i don't think so.

Curse of Fraility is probably the best debuff in the game. And if you go Poison, pick the Vulnerability modifier, it can multiple your damage by a lot.

Also yes, pick Blood of Dreeg. Heal, Offensive Ability, Health regen and if you pick the Aspect of the Guardian modifier (which you should) physical resistance and extra damage.
Why not? I mean, what changes on Elite / Ultimate? Provided that I'll even play them because I really don't like playing the same thing 3x. It's an outdated ARPG mechanic. Today you've far better methods of difficulty control. Just look at how Diablo 3: RoS, van Helsing and Victor Vran handled difficulty. All of them handle it very elegantly.
Old 11-27-2016, 01:24 AM
Praetorian

You'll have low health, not enough stats to equip items and several other things.

Also, in order to reach the aumont of points in either those two grimcalc you have to reach level 85. And you can only reach level 85 by Ultimate because it reaches a point in Veteran and Elite where mobs stop giving exp.

And i completely disagree about Diablo 3 and those other games difficulty methods being far better. But that's besides the point.
Old 11-27-2016, 01:27 AM
Praetorian

2 things happen if you go pure occultist. A. you get shit on B. you gimp your build for no reason. Doing much less damage, spend infinite time kiting, etc

1. Bloody pox is not needed, the poison part of the skill is pretty weak tbh. I do use my extra points on the wasting modifier for a huge -OA debuff, I would not bother using the skill outside of leveling though unless you have a lot of extra skill points from gear. % damage type bonuses apply to all abilities unless they are part of a skill line (that isn't a buff) like terrifying gaze. Using fevered rage early on is fun to speed up leveling, be careful though
2. Amazing. The slow is cute for mobs, the resist reduction on vulnerability is amazing for everything
3. Blood burst is very good. Terrifying gaze is really only worth 1 point for the cc, on the nightblade sir of things Merciless repertoire provides a bigger bonus and it applies to all your skills. Vile eruption is ok, it is much better if you are a spammer and not using the cooldown version. Still helps your damage/aoe a bit though. I prefer to level with the spammable dee though. Definitely grab a mark of dreeg too for a nice boost to both aoe and single dmg early on
4. Nightblade second is best especially if you use focused gaze. Arcanist is a tiny bit better for spammable DEE imo, but really just go witch hunter

http://grimcalc.com/build/1006-xmH3pS I'd go for something like this. Doom bolt and sigil are useable on this build, having the various buffs is a lot better. Devotions is what I use personally, wendigo gives you nice heals and behemoth/lizard combined with blood of dreeg/pneumatic gives a lot of hp regen. You can go more offensive adding in scorpion/eye, but will spend more time kiting and be more prone to getting bursted

Last edited by TomoDaK; 11-27-2016 at 01:31 AM.
Old 11-27-2016, 01:37 AM
Campaigner

There will be literally nothing you can spend your points on in just one skill tree after lvl 50. Also, mastery points give stats and health, having just 50 makes items hard to equip. Finally, why would you not get Nightblade as secondary? Resistance reduction is king in this game.

As for the questions:

1. Avoid the pox line like the plague, it's the most annoyingly complicated skill to use and the payoff is crap.
2. Those two are probably the best supporting skills in the game, and the reason why everyone and their mother runs some kind of Occultist these days. It's all about the resistance reduction.
3. DEE and Blood burst should be enough if you are using the transmuter, max Vile Eruption if you ever switch to the spammable version.
4. Absolutely, more resistance reduction from Night's Chill, more move/cast speed and a secondary heal from Pneumatic, Nidalia's Justifiable Ends is the strongest single target poison in the game while SS gives you mobility and finally Blade Burst line for some left click power and CC in between casting DEE.
5. Dreeg's is actually not that good for you since you have no way of abusing the 0.5 sec cooldown. Scorpion and Abom should be your primary offensive skills, they are insane. You want high regeneration on this build, since you don't have lifesteal, hence Lizard + Behemoth is a must. Manticore is important for resistance reduction. Hawk gives amazing stats. Rest is filler required to reach the requirements, take the cheapest ones. Don't forget to put 3 points into Ulzuin's torch, it gives more than just fire damage.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:36 AM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrwd View Post
So, I recently purchased GD and I must say it is a very well put game. I love Occultist, finally I can have my Poison Necro without investing in Bone or Summon skills(imo Poison Necro always lacked a Ranged attack and to put the salt on a wound, your Skellie Mages used a Poison Bolt ). Now, onto the question at hand:

This is my current level 21 build, it simply waded through everything without as much as blinking(ok, the Warden kinda got me with those jagged daggers, then I panicked and drank a potion, idk why):

http://grimcalc.com/build/1006-KRSAa0

The questions:

1. Is Bloody Pox line needed? Also, does Pox work fully with Dreeg's constellation bonus poison etc damage(if I slot it)?
2. How good are Curse of Fatality and Blood of Dreeg?
3. About the upgrades on Dreeg's Evil Eye, any recommendations on those(I'm talking about "Blood Burst", "Terrifying Gaze" etc)? I find the "Focused Gaze" passive VERY GOOD. I mean, my EE deals like 2,2k over 6s. And I use it for single target, so I don't care that it has 4s cooldown.
4. I wanted to go Nightblade secondary, so I get the +% poison damage and various other things. Also, WH just fits with the setting of a game you've to admit.
5. Where should I go from Dreeg's Constellation in Devotions? Should I go towards the Akeron's Scorpion or towards the Bat -> the Rat? The final goal is Abom, ofc.

These are my two ideas:

http://grimcalc.com/build/1006-H2vEU0 (my pure Occultist)
http://grimcalc.com/build/1006-sda6Kl (my Witch Hunter build)

Any criticisms and advices are, of course, welcome.
1. Bloody pox is much better than most people think, but you can't take it along with evil eye as you just don't have enough skill points at max lv.
2. Both of those spells are 10/10, many builds max both of them entirely. Blood of dreeg is more important for melee fighters than casters however
3. The only part of evil eye which is lack luster is the very last one, where it splits into pieces. This is because the chunks don't increase your single target dps much, so they dont work very well vs hard bosses
4. Nightblade secondary is ok, I had the same build basically. However in ultimate i found he was too squishy, and regretted building pure damage and wished I chose soldier
5. Go to Abomination and take everything poison along the way. You should have enough points to also get turtle.

As to the whole single class thing, it's "possible" but needlessly difficult because you will get one shot so much. On my main ultimate guy, with all resistances at 80%, the most damage I had taken was 8800 in one hit. You max health will be like 7000 with only 1 class AND good gear. Bad gear and maybe 5500.

Note that "at less than 40% hp" skills and the like DO NOT TRIGGER if the damage outright kills you. So you NEED enough hp to tank like 6000 damage hits (or more depending on if you want to beat nemesis bosses or just main storyline), to get everything to trigger and you wont die and can flee or potion or whatever

Here is my build suggestion:

http://grimcalc.com/build/1006-5w13Py

Last edited by Goat; 11-27-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:34 PM
Herald

Gameplay is stacking poison from various sources on debuffed enemy(COF,Nightchill,Manticore etc) while runing around healing with blood of dreeg & Pnuematic burst, you will hit minimum 50k ticks with just gear found on the way

Dual wield for quicker pb heals and get 2x slithtongues from body in the cave in wightmire
Old 11-27-2016, 07:54 PM
Supporter

Ok, I've some more questions if you don't mind:

1. Aspect of the Guardian's +% Poison / Acid damage increases only Blood of Dreeg's retaliate damage or ANY Poison / Acid damage?

2. Vile Eruption is to be used with a spam play style of DEE(meaning no CD, that is Focused Gaze)?

3. Why does everyone keep putting only 1 point into Curse? Isn't 3m radius awfully small? Keep in mind, putting points in increases the radius(imo, 6m is a bare minimum).

4.Wouldn't Pox be good with Solael's Witchblade constellation(this works as Pox right?) and other procs? That could get ridiculous especially with that double dipping of HP reduction(Eldritch Bolt).

5. Is Blood Burst really necessary? It seems so meh to me. Come to think, how does it work? If we were talking about the spammer DEE, the main DEE damage(huge one) would be dealt to the struck opponent while the BB to enemies around. How does this work with Gaze though? That smaller damage in 5m + x m(read outer radius) of AoE?

6. Shame about the lack of ability to go Single Class. But it is so when the difficulty gets cranked, I guess. Fun gets squished meh. But I already know how it'll end. Let's hope I'm wrong.

7. Veteran mode...any real description of its mechanics? It mentions that it buffs enemies' stats, but nowhere is it stated by just how much.

* I HATE the blinking Ethereal Nobles(why can I survive bosses on Veteran just fine while these are...so damaging and annoying?). They...fuck them! I mean, they can't really hurt me(Sigil knocks them out of blink / stealth), but god they are annoying! Yo, you better keep guessing with those sigils!

edit: I kinda modified the single class build by investing somewhat into NB: http://grimcalc.com/build/1006-nbkBQi . Or this: http://grimcalc.com/build/1006-LBMaJT . By tactically sacrificing ~20% dps, you are able to have either PB or Merciless Repertoire at 100% Poison / Acid. Intriguing.

Last edited by hrwd; 11-27-2016 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:39 PM
Praetorian

1. All damage
2. Yeah. Generally you just 1 point it cause you get 13 free points or w/e with end game gear so why not. The flat damage it offers really doesn't do anything when it's on a long cooldown. I always use it when leveling though
3. +Occultist/curse on gear will buff it up on it's own. You also really only need it for bosses or tanky heroes. If use mark of dreeg skill to proc tainted eruption (abomination) it kills any normal monster w/o a curse cast. You may find use for the slow early and bigger aoe early on though
4. Pox is great for proc against mobs, not so much against single target. Solael's witchblade is a entirely useless constellation for this build though, even if you put destruction to high level you will be doing very little chaos damage and 0 fire damage. % HP damage doesn't really do a whole lot. Enemies gain resistance to it and bosses become entirely immune to it later
5. Yes it helps aoe (especially early) and adds a nice amount to your dot. Also there's just the fact that there is nothing better to put points into
6. Certain single class can be viable with gear, but for some classes it's really really tough as they are just too squishy or miss really key skills from secondary class. I don't see the big deal though, all you do in mostly is gimp yourself for no real reason
7. I've never seen them listed anywhere. Just play it cause it's more fun unless you wanna level as fast as possible then go normal

Last edited by TomoDaK; 11-27-2016 at 08:42 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
build, nightblade, occultist, poison, witch hunter