Old 04-07-2016, 11:21 PM
Initiate

Exclamation Poison build useless?!

Hello everyone,

Since I am a new player with roughly 100 hours played I am not sure if the mechanic that I noticed is as intended by the developers, or a bug so it would be nice if someone could explain why things are the way they are in the following scenario:

My main char is a vitality dmg Conjurer with most abilities (totems, sigil, chaos bolt) having cooldowns. However it is not a problem at all to get the procs from items or devotions, because most abilities deal damage over time. Not Dots directly, but simply damage ticks in an area or individual attacks like the storm totem. In fact this leads to a SHITLOAD of procs. The most extreme example however is the Devouring Swarm that deals innitial vit damage and some bleed over 4 seconds. EVERY bleed tick can proc a COH ability from devotions. In my case I use the Wendigo's Mark and with a 25% COH it's needless to say that it procs all the time on pretty much everything.

Now for my second char I decided to go full poison with a witch hunter build, because hey, Dots seem to be fun right? Well... no. After testing for quite a while I concluded that poison Dots do NOT trigger COH Devotions. I don't know why, but it's a fact. So bleed ticks do proc Devotions, but poison ticks dont... what kind of logic is that?

Fun fact: The only poison damage ability (which i found so far) that actually triggers procs is the Poison Bomb ability provided by the Mutagenic Ichor component. And that is only because this ability creates an actual DoT-Area similar to the Sigil of Consumption. Also this ability sucks balls which is why its not realy a solution to the problem at hand.

As a result of this I don't see myself maxing out my witch hunter, since COH Devotions have some of the best late game scaling and it's just stupid that you can make a bleed build with 24/7 procs while with a poison build you can wait for days until you get 1 lousy proc.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:38 PM
Lord Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrManly View Post
Hello everyone,

Since I am a new player with roughly 100 hours played I am not sure if the mechanic that I noticed is as intended by the developers, or a bug so it would be nice if someone could explain why things are the way they are in the following scenario:

My main char is a vitality dmg Conjurer with most abilities (totems, sigil, chaos bolt) having cooldowns. However it is not a problem at all to get the procs from items or devotions, because most abilities deal damage over time. Not Dots directly, but simply damage ticks in an area or individual attacks like the storm totem. In fact this leads to a SHITLOAD of procs. The most extreme example however is the Devouring Swarm that deals innitial vit damage and some bleed over 4 seconds. EVERY bleed tick can proc a COH ability from devotions. In my case I use the Wendigo's Mark and with a 25% COH it's needless to say that it procs all the time on pretty much everything.

Now for my second char I decided to go full poison with a witch hunter build, because hey, Dots seem to be fun right? Well... no. After testing for quite a while I concluded that poison Dots do NOT trigger COH Devotions. I don't know why, but it's a fact. So bleed ticks do proc Devotions, but poison ticks dont... what kind of logic is that?

Fun fact: The only poison damage ability (which i found so far) that actually triggers procs is the Poison Bomb ability provided by the Mutagenic Ichor component. And that is only because this ability creates an actual DoT-Area similar to the Sigil of Consumption. Also this ability sucks balls which is why its not realy a solution to the problem at hand.

As a result of this I don't see myself maxing out my witch hunter, since COH Devotions have some of the best late game scaling and it's just stupid that you can make a bleed build with 24/7 procs while with a poison build you can wait for days until you get 1 lousy proc.
Dreegs Evil Eye definitely definitely Procs Devotion Procs. Not sure if it's only the initial hit or if the dot portion can also as I didn't test it.
But as you see in the Video DEE procs Guardians Gaze
Old 04-08-2016, 12:29 AM
Emissary

I wouldn't say posion is usless ... you do have to build around it though. It's not nearly as supported as bleed but there are 3 or so witch hunter builds that use posion.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:34 AM
Counsel

My melee witch hunter is built around poison and gets 125k poison ticks on bosses... Poison is far from useless
Old 04-08-2016, 05:36 AM
Advocate

DoTs will not proc devotion skills that require a crit, except on the initial attack. Use on hit procs instead.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:40 AM
Counsel

That is just not true. Dots that crit can proc on crit devotion skills
Old 04-08-2016, 06:40 AM
Acolyte

DEE will only proc stuff on the initial hit and NOT from the dot, i did some testing on a dummy

DEE dot: Will not proc anything, so it's kinda sad :/
DEE initial damage: Will proc whatever you have on it

if you ask me, Crate should make it so DEE and DEE's dot can proc stuff. as the dot is still from DEE
Old 04-08-2016, 07:03 AM
Initiate

I just finished ultimate with a 2h poison blademaster using night shades reach. Was a different build than you usually see for blademaster but I found it very effective and ultimate was a breeze. Farming rep to test on nemesis while leveling other chars
Old 04-08-2016, 08:05 AM
Initiate

The way I see it, for DEE it's working as intended because it's not duration skill. What I observed is, there are 2 kinds of DoT damage in this game: there is duration damage type (like poison, burn etc), and there are duration skills. First one doesn't proc devotions, because it doesn't hit. Duration skills proc devotions because they hit every second with whatever is listed.

For instance: DEE is not duration skill. It hits once, for 7 acid damage and apply poison DoT: 9 damage over 3 seconds. Devotions can proc once. Poison dots won't proc additional devotions.

Devouring Swarm is duration skill. It lasts for 3 seconds. Every second, it will hit for 3 vit damage and applly bleeding DoT: 3 damage over 1 second. Since the skill hits every second, it can proc devotion every second. However, bleeding ticks are duration damage type, not hits, and will not proc additional devotions. (like, if enemy is still bleeding after Devouring Swarm had faded off, the bleeding ticks will not proc devotions)

Last edited by turbodevil; 04-08-2016 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:22 AM
Initiate

I forgot to specify that I use DEE with focused gaze which gives the skill a 4 sec CD. I am aware that the innitial attack does proc devotions, but the applied DOT doesnt. So if you cant spam that skill you won't get as many procs which I think is stupid.
Closed Thread

Tags
devotion, dot, occultist, poison, proc