Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Community Section > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 06:56 PM
Initiate

Default Is it worth playing with a Controller? And a Few noob questions

Hello,

I am really enjoying this game, My wife and I play most nights. Currently playing in Elite Finally getting to see some legendary gear drop, not for my class but I do keep my fingers crossed

1 How do you respect your Dev Tree ? is there a way?
2 Is it worth buying a controller to play?
3 is there any way to reset faction?

Thanks
Old 03-09-2016, 07:06 PM
Praetorian

1. Yes, info in the game guide

Quote:
Resetting Devotion Points

If you change your mind about the Constellations you have unlocked, you can visit the Spirit Guide to unlearn Devotion Points for a fee plus an Aether Crystal.

If you unlearn a Celestial Power this way, it will retain all of the Experience you have accrued on it.

Note that you cannot unlearn Devotion Points invested in a Constellation that provides you an Affinity bonus which you need to maintain another Constellation.
However, a Constellation can potentially support itself with its own Affinity bonus if you remove points from earlier Constellations. In that case, you will not be able to remove points from it unless you fulfill the Affinity requirements through other means.

To learn more about the Spirit Guide, visit the Service NPCs page.

There are rumors that the most powerful enemies in all of Cairn sometimes carry Tonics of Clarity, which can completely reset all of your spent Devotion Points.
2. Very much indeed it's one of the best control setups I've ever used in an arpg, there's a thread here with all the info and set ups.

3. No, you can choose a different faction in each difficulty, but once chosen it's fixed for that difficulty.

Hope this helps and welcome to Grim Dawn
Old 03-09-2016, 08:10 PM
Initiate

Thanks for the info
Old 03-09-2016, 08:18 PM
Supporter

Worth buying a controller to play? That's largely up to whether you want to use controllers or not. Personally, I see no reason whatsoever to use a controller, or what would make it "worth it".

I would never spend money on getting a controller for a game made for mouse and keyboard, and I'd never get a game made for controllers.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:29 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xither1 View Post
2 Is it worth buying a controller to play?
It can be, yes. The 360 controller works very well if you decide to go that route but I suggest looking into the Steam controller. It's much easier to use and navigate the game and has an advantage over other controllers in this area, especially once you've gotten used to it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2016, 02:22 PM
Initiate

50 bucks for the steam controller and yes its worth it 100%. The default controller config is one the of the best I have used for any game.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:34 PM
Initiate

Yup, the Steam Controller is great with this game. I haven't really tried Crate's default config, but I love using my own custom config. It allows me to emulate M&Kb controls extremely well while having the comfort of a controller.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:49 PM
Initiate

I tried the game with the 360 controller, as I usually prefer direct control/movement over click-to-move. And yes, the controller is great, I feel, for moving, and rotating the camera.

However, I didn't like the auto-targeting you get with the controller. If there's a pack of monsters, you have to attack whichever the game picks for you. Often times, in the middle of a battle, if you're constantly changing direction, the game will target a random breakable (rock on the ground, etc.) I was using a blademaster, and it was frustrating to try to target healing/ranged mobs behind a pack with shadowstrike, using a controller.

So I went back to m/kb mostly because it allowed precise selection of mobs. I bound the rotate camera to my side buttons (mouse 4&5) so that helped.

edit: I should also add, m/kb was much better for inventory, also, using the controller to move items between stash and inventory felt slower.

Last edited by Druga; 03-11-2016 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:32 PM
Initiate

Not sure about the 360 but steam controller you target whatever is in front of you. So if you want to target something behind you just turn around. If something beside you just rotate your character. It takes some getting used to but once you do it gives you maybe 85% to 90% of the accuracy of a mouse.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2016, 04:34 PM
Initiate

M/kb is in most circumstances more accurate and precise but at this point in my life I just want to sit on my couch lol. For that I'll take a slightly less than perfect control scheme

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
Closed Thread