Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Classes, Skills and Builds

Old 02-28-2018, 09:37 AM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requnix View Post
Thanks for the response, Beoron! As somebody who leaves the game for 3-4 months then jumps back in, even though I've been playing since Alpha, it's easy to forget some of the "norms" relative to leveling, components, relics, etc. What I recommend is this:
  1. List components that are solid for bleed/vit (during leveling).
  2. Alternative Relic(s) to Hysteria, and what to use prior to end-game relic.
  3. Recommend skills to go for first relative to survival (e.g. sigil/totem vs. dreeg). A recommended guide order would be great.
  4. Complete devotion order from beginning to end broken down in a list like this (you have it in sentence format, but easier to read in list format).
  5. Advice for those who don't have the legendaries yet (possible alternatives).
  6. Details on bleed vs. vit damage while leveling; what to focus on.

BTW this is one of the best guides (with leveling) I've seen: http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65775

Keep up the great work!
Thanks for the input! Those are some good suggestions, I will revise the guide in a few days.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:41 AM
Supporter

Default Devotion change

After 1.0.5.0 I was curious about adding Kraken and it turns out it is pretty easy and only cost Jackal and Eel which is a reeeeally good deal in my estimation. Just adding up the increased damage on the tool tips of Wildblood Crusher, Rend, and Grasping Vines I ended up with an extra 1,700 damage. With how often those tick and with the bonus crit damage from Kraken and the build's resist reduction that is a big jump in damage. I am going to experiment with a few more things and maybe refactor a bit more.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:27 PM
Acolyte

I couldn't figure out how to add Kraken by just eliminating Jackal and Eel but here's my build with it added.

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/8NKmAzxV

I removed Bard's Harp and replaced it with Ulo the Keeper of the Waters. I also removed the aforementioned Jackal and Eel. I added Crane but deleted Lion. I removed Hawk and Scholar's light but added Fox. Wendigo, Bat, Empty Throne, Manticore, Huntress, and Rattosh the Veilwarden remain which are the heart of the build.

You could keep Hawk and Scholar's light and remove Fox but it'll cost you a point in Huntress and another in Crossroads. There are probably other ways to do it too but this is the option I saw:

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/eVL3Q0L2

I'm keeping Fox for now since it adds bleed damage.
This results in 6 active constellations which are all "chance on attack" and 5 passive (including Crossroads). I actually had to put a point in Doombolt just to have something to bind Cleansing Waters to.

I'm going to play it for a bit and see how it works out. The worst part of it is that I've got three new constellations to level: Rattosh, Huntress, and Ulo.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:26 AM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta View Post
I couldn't figure out how to add Kraken by just eliminating Jackal and Eel but here's my build with it added.

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/8NKmAzxV

I removed Bard's Harp and replaced it with Ulo the Keeper of the Waters. I also removed the aforementioned Jackal and Eel. I added Crane but deleted Lion. I removed Hawk and Scholar's light but added Fox. Wendigo, Bat, Empty Throne, Manticore, Huntress, and Rattosh the Veilwarden remain which are the heart of the build.

You could keep Hawk and Scholar's light and remove Fox but it'll cost you a point in Huntress and another in Crossroads. There are probably other ways to do it too but this is the option I saw:

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/eVL3Q0L2

I'm keeping Fox for now since it adds bleed damage.
This results in 6 active constellations which are all "chance on attack" and 5 passive (including Crossroads). I actually had to put a point in Doombolt just to have something to bind Cleansing Waters to.

I'm going to play it for a bit and see how it works out. The worst part of it is that I've got three new constellations to level: Rattosh, Huntress, and Ulo.
I am planning to expand the devotion section and add specific steps, but to get Kraken you fill out everything but Rattosh. It offers no affinity so I use it when I need to make self supporting devotions work. Using the points that go into Rattosh normally you fill out Kraken. After that you can remove the points from Jackal as Kraken gives you enough red and you can remove the points from Eel as Kraken gives you enough blue once it is finished.

As far as your alternate devotion setup I can see the appeal. I assume Ulo will break any entrapment on you? That would be nice. I like Hawk for the OA and crit damage but I could see passing it. I would like Fox over Scholar's Light of course, but points were just a wee bit too tight. I would have a hard time giving up Bard's Harp though. That energy regen is so helpful. I have considered an alternate setup using Harvestman's Scythe but so far I have not made the switch.

I might try a Mythical Mark of the Forbidden, that looks like it could be pretty effective. I wonder how much of a difference the -health regeneration makes on enemies.

If I can ever get a pair to drop I am considering using Dark One's gloves. I really like my current gloves, but the enemy damage reduction on Dark One's seems like it would be very potent.

Thanks for the input! As a general note, I will probably revise a few things and expand some sections soon. I hope folks are enjoying the build.

Last edited by Beoron; 03-05-2018 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Added a line.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:10 AM
Acolyte

Hi Beoron, I am a very novice player, intrigued by your build. Would love to give it a spin but have a couple noob(ie) questions if you don't mind.

1. I don't have crucible. Any changes to your suggestions in the guide if you lack crucible ?

2. The Build calculator seems to shows occultist as the first mastery you choose but in your leveling comments you speak about leveling grasping vines first. Did you take shaman mastery first or occultist and how far did you go into the initial mastery before spending points on the second.

Thanks
Old 03-14-2018, 05:37 AM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopiarocker View Post
Hi Beoron, I am a very novice player, intrigued by your build. Would love to give it a spin but have a couple noob(ie) questions if you don't mind.

1. I don't have crucible. Any changes to your suggestions in the guide if you lack crucible ?

2. The Build calculator seems to shows occultist as the first mastery you choose but in your leveling comments you speak about leveling grasping vines first. Did you take shaman mastery first or occultist and how far did you go into the initial mastery before spending points on the second.

Thanks
Glad to answer any questions as best I can!

1. Without Crucible it takes longer to get max level devotions but no biggy. Otherwise I wouldn't really change much. You could perhaps go a wee bit less defensive on components as campaign is easier but for nemesis and such I would probably stay fairly defensive. I suppose the worst part would be getting Rend quite a bit later, as it is really strong as soon as you get it.

2. Hm that is odd, I am pretty sure I went Shaman first. Once I get a little less busy I plan to expand the leveling guide, but in short, I would definitely start Shaman and rush for Grasping Vines. Maxing that gives a lot of great AoE damage quickly. I usually also max Briarthorn because it will be a great help early on. I would then either go after Devouring Swarm or Curse of Frailty for the resistance debuff, probably Curse of Frailty. You definitely want to have some bleed resistance debuff or a strong pet before Arkovia. I would then max whichever of Curse or Swarm you didn't max. Once you are feeling comfortable damage wise I would go after your ultimate skill of choice while picking up other skills along the way. The last core skills I leveled were the initial Bloody Pox skill and Blood of Dreeg as I feel they are less essential early on. Oh and once your Briarthorn starts dying a lot and you are killing faster feel free to ditch it or put it down to one point for the meatshield. So I definitely invest a lot more heavily into Shaman at first.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you need anything else.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:56 PM
Acolyte

I am very new, so maybe it is my mistake, but when I click on your Build calculator link it shows occultist tab to the left of the devotion tab, and shaman to the right. I inferred that meant occultist was taken first, but that seemed very inconsistent with what you had written thus my question.

Thanks very much
Old 03-19-2018, 08:28 PM
Speaker

Realy nice Guide

But can u be more specific(a bit)
What items to look for when leveling Bleed vit decay augments components that kind of stuf?
Old 04-14-2018, 07:39 PM
Supporter

Howdy! I finally got around to updating a few items. The main changes were to the relic and medal and I added another grimtools link to show what I consider perfect items for the build. I still plan to expand the leveling and devotion sections, but I have been rather busy lately.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:44 AM
Speaker

Can this build do Lokarr?

Tags
aoe, caster, conjurer, sustain