Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Classes, Skills and Builds

Old 11-20-2017, 05:54 PM
Initiate

Question

WolfOverclocked, have you tried using the Blind Sage constellation? I have been using it on my AAR Sorceress and I really like it.

The Elemental Seekers add quite a bit of damage and also act like a form of AoE, hitting additional targets and stunning them. The energy burn is also useful on those big aetherial abominations in Act 5, once they are out of energy they can't use their special attacks (which hit like a truck).
Old 11-20-2017, 09:35 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vurtne View Post
Crucible is funny, why not?
I think it's boring. Really boring. So, I don't play it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtanga View Post
I've considered similar with a Mage Hunter, but I wanted to do it on Druid for two reasons. First, is I have enough aether oriented characters. Second, I originally wanted to roll with Druid when I first picked up Grim Dawn cause TSS looked so damn cool, but I was swept away by all the other combinations I could create.

In the build I am planning, I'll have all the totems plus Wind Devils as well, but I want to try using Storm Totem as a means to proc its assigned devotion as opposed to being a more significant damage source. With my current plan on gear, I did my best to invest into whichever defensive devotions I could while still aiming for Ultos. At this point, it's a wait and see if this version will pay off as I got some ways to go. I can't wait to see how this build, and other builds of yours, will shape up now.
Ultos, Elemental Storm, and Murmur woud all be options I'd shoot for since the beam would be purely elemental at that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindaloo View Post
WolfOverclocked, have you tried using the Blind Sage constellation? I have been using it on my AAR Sorceress and I really like it.

The Elemental Seekers add quite a bit of damage and also act like a form of AoE, hitting additional targets and stunning them. The energy burn is also useful on those big aetherial abominations in Act 5, once they are out of energy they can't use their special attacks (which hit like a truck).
I think Blind Sage wouldn't work as well with my AAR set-up. It's elemental-based and the requirements are way out there compared to what I've got.

Also, the Energy Burn was replaced.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:49 AM
Initiate

As soon as I saw the patch notes mentioning AAR I thought "WolfOverclocked is gonna have a new thread...". Not sure if they listened to your (constructive!) complaints about AAR or just came to their own conclusions, but either way it's great to see they buffed it. AAR has always been one of my favourite skills just in concept and the visuals so it was a shame it got left behind for a time.

Returned to a level 85 sorc I haven't touched since Malmouth dropped and started playing him again. Re-specced to your setup and it's great - you're definitely right RE the cooldown reductions being key to the sorc. It changes mirror from an "oh shit" button to a reliable form of defense. All the other defenses are key as well since casters are still quick to die, but it's much easier to survive a few seconds between mirrors than to rely on those defenses full time. I do think it's a bit of an issue that crowd control abilities fall off sharply late game but most RPG/ARPG do that these days, so kind of expected.

Really glad they changed Aetherreach gloves too, that was just ridiculous not having the proc.

Cheers for another great guide as well :-)
Old 11-22-2017, 05:33 PM
Advocate

I put together an alternate devotion scheme with all 3 of Giant's Blood, Dryad, and Tree of Life, plus Turtle and the big armor node in Obelisk of Menhir. And Bard's Harp to solve energy problems for good. Would appreciate any feedback.

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/d2je5gmN
Old 11-22-2017, 05:48 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guurzak View Post
I put together an alternate devotion scheme with all 3 of Giant's Blood, Dryad, and Tree of Life, plus Turtle and the big armor node in Obelisk of Menhir. And Bard's Harp to solve energy problems for good. Would appreciate any feedback.

Obelist is pointless for caster armor build. Turtle is garbage, so is lizard. Try http://www.grimtools.com/calc/d2je5rmN this setup if you realy want all healing nodes.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:39 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asundai View Post
As soon as I saw the patch notes mentioning AAR I thought "WolfOverclocked is gonna have a new thread...". Not sure if they listened to your (constructive!) complaints about AAR or just came to their own conclusions, but either way it's great to see they buffed it. AAR has always been one of my favourite skills just in concept and the visuals so it was a shame it got left behind for a time.

Returned to a level 85 sorc I haven't touched since Malmouth dropped and started playing him again. Re-specced to your setup and it's great - you're definitely right RE the cooldown reductions being key to the sorc. It changes mirror from an "oh shit" button to a reliable form of defense. All the other defenses are key as well since casters are still quick to die, but it's much easier to survive a few seconds between mirrors than to rely on those defenses full time. I do think it's a bit of an issue that crowd control abilities fall off sharply late game but most RPG/ARPG do that these days, so kind of expected.

Really glad they changed Aetherreach gloves too, that was just ridiculous not having the proc.

Cheers for another great guide as well :-)
Thanks, glad you liked it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guurzak View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptirodaktill View Post
Obelist is pointless for caster armor build. Turtle is garbage, so is lizard. Try http://www.grimtools.com/calc/d2je5rmN this setup if you realy want all healing nodes.
I'd only caution about silo-ing yourself here with defenses. Too much defense might make your character too weak. However, if it works for you, then by all means go ahead!
Old 11-23-2017, 10:05 AM
Acolyte

Build looks awesome, I definetely should try it. BTW, could you please post some thoughts on leveling? What skill to use before getting final gear, constellations path, some intermediate gear maybe.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:07 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
Build looks awesome, I definetely should try it. BTW, could you please post some thoughts on leveling? What skill to use before getting final gear, constellations path, some intermediate gear maybe.
Here's me speedily leveling a Sorcerer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsmj...iKNChbYYDlO_rg

I'll put this playlist in the original post.

The tl;dr of it is to use OFF to clear trash mobs and get something like the nova attack from Cracked Lodestone to deal damage all while boosting your speed with Vindictive Flame.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:06 PM
Initiate

Hey guys

I was wondering if the spellbinder or magehunter would be better for an AAR build

any toughts ?

Tags
aar, albrecht's aether ray, arcanist, demolitionist, sorcerer