Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > Rants

View Poll Results: Would you cancel your internet to save NN?
Yes 4 16.67%
No, internet is too important to me 11 45.83%
No, NN is not important to me 4 16.67%
What is NN (Net Neutrality) 5 20.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-19-2017, 05:43 PM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamba View Post
NN = all content is treated equally, nothing gets eg slowed down / accelerated based on where the data is from
That was what I thought. Doing some digging... We've only had NN in America since the FCC started enforcing it in 2015. We've barely gotten to enjoy it.

Also, Pai's claim that these rules are stopping internet improvement is clear bull. What's stopping them is the old anti trust laws. When you access the internet, you do it through cabling owned by multiple companies. If one improves, but the rest don't, you won't notice any change in your service, and they'll have spent the money for no gain. If they ALL did it, everyone would get better internet... But they're not legally allowed to coordinate like that. The fact that companies aren't allowed to throttle our access isn't stopping them from providing or improving their service in any way.

EDIT: I'd consider dumping internet for the summer, but A) I don't pay for the internet around here, and more importantly, B) It won't stop the internet companies. They know perfectly well that we won't ditch the internet forever. If they lose three months, six months, a year of half of all Americans paying for internet... They'll STILL make vastly more money without net neutrality, in the long run. They can wait us out, we can't do the reverse. Too many people need the internet for getting a hold of people, or their jobs. It's a nice idea, but in this case... Protesting won't stop them.

Last edited by Nssheepster; 05-19-2017 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:10 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nssheepster View Post
Also, Pai's claim that these rules are stopping internet improvement is clear bull.
completely, even the providers basically disagree with that (it no affecting their investments) when they have to tell the truth instead of lobbying politicians to try to get bigger profits (see John Oliver...)
Old 05-26-2017, 10:37 PM
Praetorian

Even if everyone across the globe did it...what makes you think it would change anything? Our current (American) government is so disconnected from the people it's not funny; they do whatever the hell they want with impunity.