Old 04-21-2017, 01:40 AM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibugsy View Post
LOL! You started that line of conversation.
Actually, no, I did not. I started a conversation on Bill Nye.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by computertech82 View Post
Nye would be kinda right. When building a AI, you would put in conditions so you can keep control of it or not harm humans. Several movies do that (yes i know they are fiction).
The AI point here is totally fiction, the point of an AI is we do not know how to program it, we hope that we can make a program that can learn and basically write its own code. Some one saying that if we could accomplish that, that we could also somehow limit it or give it a kill switch, sounds ridiculius. If the AI evolved, it would be very easy for it to jettison those safeties put in place originally.

The one thing they do get right in fiction, is it would be a horrible idea to give an AI access to human history and expect to live.
Last edited by jiaco; Tomorrow at 11:34 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:29 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabarto View Post
If you consider what genetic modification actually is, then it's been going on for literally as long as agriculture has existed.
no, not in the way it is done now where completely alien sequences are added to plants that otherwise would never have gotten them

If you think what mankind has done for 1000s of years and what GMO does today are the same thing, then you bought into the company propaganda.
They are about as comparable as a horse drawn carriage and a spaceship, both serve the same purpose (move people and stuff around) but that is where the similarty ends.

Also, it is not just about what is safe for us to eat, but also about what kinds of mutations will happen in the wild that no one ever thought of. Definitely way too early for any conclusion other than to not be the guinea pig for it if you can help it

Last edited by mamba; 04-21-2017 at 05:42 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:39 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
As for the GMO, If the planet only grew natural foods, no modifications at all, well over BILLIONS (not millions) would be starving to death. That's right, we already went over the maximum population for just natural foods (that includes meats).
huh ? would like to know where you have that from, as far as I know we still have plenty of buffer left, esp when we eat less / little meat

The problem with food today is distribution, not production - unless you think of the kinds of grains etc we started out with some 1000s of years ago...

Quote:
In the usa, it's about 50 million dying from the lack of food.
that is poverty and a non-functioning society, the US produces more food than it can eat
Old 04-21-2017, 05:52 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Nye would be kinda right. When building a AI, you would put in conditions so you can keep control of it or not harm humans. Several movies do that (yes i know they are fiction).
The problem is, we are not building an AI, we are trying to get one to teach itself to be intelligent through trial and reward. Even if we get it to do something semi-intelligent we have no idea how it actually arrived there and what its 'thought-process' / rules are.
So adding conditions to that is pretty much impossible (you do via your reward functions, not directly) and definitely nothing you can rely on...

What probably will keep me safe for the rest of my lifetime is that we tend to underestimate how difficult this really is, for the past 20 years we always thought we were close to a breakthrough, but then that never came - and today we still think we are close to it...

Maybe we should work harder on human intelligence, the way things are going there is enough need right there

Last edited by mamba; 04-22-2017 at 02:18 AM.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:55 AM
Praetorian

Reminds me of the mistake in buying Diablo 3 mostly due to nostalgia from D2 and the faint hope that perhaps the developers will make a Diablo game worthy of the previous titles.