Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Ideas and Feedback

Old 07-09-2018, 03:18 PM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel7254 View Post
The problem with the "just use a mod" solution is that if you want auto-loot, then you have to forfeit using any other mods, or else get auto-loot as part of a package deal with other stuff that you don't necessarily want. Either that, or learn how to merge mods, which based on my limited research on the subject isn't exactly a piece of cake.
The tool I posted, Grim Internals, is just that, a tool, not a mod. No need to start a new character. And you can switch off any feature you donīt like.

Quote:
Based on what I've seen, however, it's pretty clear that auto-loot components is something that the Crate team is just not interested in doing, period. I only hope that the attitude behind it is ideological in nature, and not simply because people have already made mods for it - which I covered earlier.

I am pretty sure itīs ideological in nature. And I understand that decision. I just donīt like it. With the amount of stuff that drops, GD is a fucking clickfest no matter what, I donīt want to know what it is like for people with gout or other illnesses.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Well, auto pickup and polls/requests for it have been around for a long time.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find Medierra's post, but iirc he feels that having a loot all button would lose the magic of finding something special. Of course that's not the same thing as just looting components, but I think he wants a limit on what you gather automatically and what you have to actually click on to pick up.

rebel7254 and Norzan, yes dev time comes into it as does what the fans would like to see. But sometimes the devs have to make a decision on what will work best for them in the game. The one I remember is the bonus completions on components - originally they all had random completion bonuses. Zantai had a poll on whether to keep random completion or not because they were beginning to cause problems. The vote was overwhelmingly yes, but later the devs decided to remove them because they were making implementing other things more difficult.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showt...ponent+bonuses

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showt...ponent+bonuses
Old 07-09-2018, 03:37 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
You mentioned development time, but I don't think that's much of a concern here. I do not recall Zantai or other Crate devs ever mentioning the time or difficulty of implementing the feature, though I admit once again I haven't been around that long. Based on what I've seen, however, it's pretty clear that auto-loot components is something that the Crate team is just not interested in doing, period. I only hope that the attitude behind it is ideological in nature, and not simply because people have already made mods for it - which I covered earlier.
Dev time does concern because it has priorities. Having to do one thing means losing time that you could be using to make another thing instead. There's also the concern of a lot of players actually using this option, work has to be rewarded. Putting dev time into something and then barely anyone using it is a waste.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:10 AM
Acolyte

My own view is that not only should there be auto-pickup, but that the components shouldn't even take up inventory space - they should just get filed away in a limitless index page which tells you how many of each you have. That would streamline it even more and save on the amount of unnecessary clicking and tedium.

Someone suggested that Crate's refusing to have auto-pickup for a philosophical reason, that it would somehow devalue the components. That doesn't make much sense to me because if they truly felt that way (and actually thought it through), they wouldn't have implemented the auto combine or auto sort features either.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:25 PM
Counsel

You can always take advantage of save files to get stacks of maxed components, then you never have to pick them up again.