Old 03-01-2019, 05:12 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocMagnum View Post
A company of this calibre should have the know-how to develop the game in-house. Why subcontracting? Don't tell me they don't have the talents? Or maybe able developers left the company like I said above...
You'd think that but it is common practice. Even Nintendo entrusts their IP's on mobile to subcontracted mobile developers.

https://bgr.com/2018/04/27/nintendos...e-this-summer/
Quote:
Announced this week in an earnings report, Nintendo is partnering with Japanese mobile game developer Cygames to release Dragalia Lost this summer. Nintendo describes the games as “an all-new original action RPG” and reveals that it has been co-developing the game alongside Cygames.
And that's not even the first mobile game they've let someone else do. So, while ActiBlizz certainly deserves criticism, in this particular area, eh. They do it because they have no direct experience making mobile games and it is likely their understanding of the platform is lacking. Granted, I believe video game giants should definitely be putting together their own internal mobile teams if they want to break in to the market but right now it is not common practice for them to do so.

Last edited by powbam; 03-01-2019 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:30 PM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by powbam View Post
You'd think that but it is common practice. Even Nintendo entrusts their IP's on mobile to subcontracted mobile developers...
Well! You have a point there, powbam.

But NeTease, seriously? At least they should have chosen a respected, uncontroversial company to develop the game.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:05 PM
Praetorian

Quote:

But NeTease, seriously? At least they should have chosen a respected, uncontroversial company to develop the game.
I really didn't know anything about NetEase until the whole D:I controversy. I did eventually see comments that apparently the Chinese people in general might not be big fans of their practices tho.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:04 PM
Advocate

700+ fucking thousand dislikes, holy...
Old 03-02-2019, 12:45 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimer View Post
700+ fucking thousand dislikes, holy...
+700k people that does not have mobile phones confirmed!

YouTube: malawiglenn
Old 03-02-2019, 07:18 PM
Initiate

Quote:

I am betting they chose them mainly due to their familiarity with the China market. How to market in China is different than marketing in the US or Europe. That market has 1.3 billion people. That's lots of phones to sell to.