Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Community Section > Modding - Discussion

Old 04-16-2019, 10:58 AM
Advocate

And this is one of the reasons i don't use external programs to stash my stuff. Unfortunate, but good to see that my suspicions proved right.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

What suspicions proved right? The items weren't lost since a backup was made and if cloud saving screws up the programme it's not the programme's fault.
Mysterious as the dark side of the moon.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:15 AM
Campaigner

As long as you follow the steps in the correct order, there isn't any problem. I don't know why you think that proves anything, but it doesn't.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:49 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by medea fleecestealer View Post
What suspicions proved right? The items weren't lost since a backup was made and if cloud saving screws up the programme it's not the programme's fault.
technically it is not so much that cloud save screws up the program but rather that cloud save sometimes gets confused by the stash changing based on an external event, ie outside of GD.

GD Stash saved the stash correctly, cloud save then wiped it instead of showing the changed data. You can get the same result by simply copying a different transfer.gst into the save dir. The fact that the file changed outside of GD is what confuses cloud save, regardless of how that change was caused.

But I agree, no suspicions should be confirmed by this, other than doubts about using cloud save...
Old 04-16-2019, 06:05 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kekkuli View Post
And this is one of the reasons i don't use external programs to stash my stuff. Unfortunate, but good to see that my suspicions proved right.
Nothing was proved right here. I'm actually shocked to see someone who has been around this forum since 2015 even say that. That's more than enough time within which to dispel general close-minded ignorance. Or at the very least use some actual facts and at least read the sequence of events that occurred, in writing, in this thread rather than just outright ignore them. As you clearly just did.

Brings to mind a friend I have who thinks he 'knows' on some level how computers work, programs work and all that jazz. I often have to help him fix crap but he's very close-minded and 'sure' that he's right but to me it's obvious that he doesn't know half as much as he thinks he does. His 'beliefs' about how various things work are rather amusing to someone who does actually know. The problem with it tho, is that he gets really angry if you try to correct his flawed knowledge. He takes it exceedingly personal because he can't manage to believe that he might somehow be wrong and that his assumptions he's built up over time somehow might be wrong.

Nowadays I don't even bother telling him when he is way off-base. I just let him go right on thinking that he's right and that he 'knows' what he 'knows' because it's just not worth the time arguing with someone who refuses to come to grips with the fact that everything he believes is actually wrong.

Example: Alot of 'older' people not used to the idea of computers often fit into this category. My wife's mother for example, believes that when she turns on the computer this is the internet. She's on. She's 'doing it'. My friend has the same mentality in regards to certain beliefs he has regarding how things work with computers.

You remind me of him with that statement.

Last edited by powbam; 04-16-2019 at 06:30 PM.