Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Bug Reporting

Old 05-24-2018, 02:00 AM
Initiate

Default Game process start and then closes without anything happening

Hi I've been running around the Steam and Grim Dawn forums and various thread for a while but I have not been able to find a solution that works for my problem. If this is not the right place or if a thread exist with the solution for this problem and I was just to incompetent to find it plz point me in the right direction.

I've been playing the game for a while now but a couple of days ago there was a small patch that was uploaded and installed when I tried to start the game. I waited till the patch finished d/l and the clicked to start the game. I saw the usual : Steam is starting the game and then nothing happened. Basically the game looks like it starting, I see the process appear in the task manager and then it disapear. Nothing happens, no window, no black screen, no error msg.

I've tried pretty much everything I've found: Closing steam, checking file integrity, Repair tool, /d3d9 launch option, deleting option.txt, reinstalling the dependencies (I can only manage the C++, Framework and DirectX tell me I have higher version installed and won't let me uninstall). I have d/l and installed the latest drivers for my video card, unistalling the game and everything else and running cc cleanup all with multiples reboot and still nothing changes. I've tried starting the game after stopping my AV and firewall, checked the exception list (game was still there) erased and remade the exception, started the game directly from the game folder, run as admin (didn't need to b4 but I still tried), checked the compatibility mode and that about sums up all I've done. I played the night b4 and everything was fine and as far as I know, nothing was patched except for Grim Dawn b4 the problem started

I'm running on Windows 10 64bit
Intel Core i5-660k CPU3.5G
16G of RAM
AMD Radeon R9 390

Thank you for your help

Last edited by corladon64; 05-24-2018 at 02:39 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:56 AM
Praetorian

Welcome to the forums corladon64, shame it's with a problem.

Gutted and baffled to hear this and you seem to have covered almost everything that I'd suggest and I wish I could think of something less dramatic as a first suggestion, but the only thing that springs to mind is a complete scrub and re-install of the game.

Actually one brief thought while typing, please check your folder permissions for the grim dawn folder in documents\my games in case the read/write permissions per user have somehow changed. I cannot think why (well apart from MS) but it's worth a quick check just in case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Properties.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	18820  
Old 05-25-2018, 03:39 AM
Initiate

Hi Jacknet, thanks for the welcome. I would have also preferred to start posting on a more fun subject.

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked and my folders permissions are all as they should so another dead end I'll keep trying.

When you mention a complete scrub what are you referring to? Formatting? or a specific sequence of uninstalling the game and the components?
Old 05-25-2018, 02:22 PM
Praetorian

Oh well, that didn't work then

****** BACK UP FIRST ******

By scrubbing I mean removing the game and all saves / settings / installed / related folders etc and reinstalling a completely fresh copy of the game and try running that "as is" and if that works then gradually add your saves, blueprints, stash etc, etc one by one.

After deleting Grim Dawn via Steam.
  • my Documents\my games\Grim Dawn - BACK UP.... BACK UP.... BACK UP... and BACK UP yet again elsewhere. If you're sure it's very safely backed up then delete this.

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\folder of numbers\219990 - (default Steam install location for cloud saves.) If it exists - BACK UP.... BACK UP.... BACK UP... and BACK UP yet again elsewhere. If you're sure it's very safely backed up then delete this.

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn - (default Steam install location) if it's left behind simply delete.

• DOUBLE CHECK you still have ALL BACK UPS.... not that I'm being cautious much

• Empty your recycle bin

• Probably worth restarting Steam after all that

• Reinstall GD via Steam and click play.... Have a conveniently padded wall nearby to beat your head against when it makes no difference

• Good Luck

****** BACK UP FIRST ******
Old 05-27-2018, 03:16 AM
Initiate

Hi again, I'm back! I'll report my findings, sorry if it's a bit tedious to read, but I like to leave details for future reference in case this happens to somebody else and/or someone see a clue I missed.

I tried the complete scrub. I made a small search for Grim Dawn to make sure I got everything backed up. I then proceeded to uninstalling the game and deleting every folder related to it. I then ran CC cleaner and rebooted b4 starting the install again. Once completed I start the game and ... nothing's changed (good thing the wall was too far cause I forgot to install the padding).

Since I really wanted to play some ARPG I then decided to install TQ anniversary edition until I manage to fix GD. When I start the game: SURPRISE!!! it doesn't work. Thought it's not the same problem as GD. So I start running trough the forums again and I then come across a small trick I haven't tried yet: completely closing steam and then try to run the game from the .exe in the folder. I try and to my surprise both game start to give me the same msg about the Steam Service not working and a prompt to fix it. I click on the link and I d/l and reinstall steam. After that I retry the game and MIRACLE!!! They start, but I can't click on anything in the game menu. I reboot my computer and try again and then nothing is working again.

Out of anger I decided to uninstall Steam completely (after backing up the save files of course), clean the registry and reboot the computer and then reinstall Steam and d/l the game yet again. Once all is done, I try again to start the game from the exe while Steam is closed: I'm still getting the msg about the Steam Service not working. I started searching for a solution to that. I tried running the repair command line, didn't seem to change a thing. Then I realized that I was'nt running the exe as admin. I changed the setting and try again: I suddenly have a green bordered steam window opening and another green bordered window with GD. I start dancing until I realize I still can't click on anything in the game. (I hear the music, I can move the mouse cursor and switch trough the characters with the arrows on the keyboard but I can't select anything with mouse buttons, space or enter keys). I ran the repair tools to see if something was amiss and then another instance of Steam starts, this time without the green border to do the integrity file check. That one baffled me for a while. I started searching again and from what I understood, the green border indicate a program version running in compatibility mode for an older version of windows. What I don't understand is why it would do that because I didn't set the new GD.exe or steam to run in compatibility mode. So this is where I'm standing and I'll continue my search to find a solution for this damn problem. If anybody as an idea, don't be shy, I'm open to suggestion.

Last edited by corladon64; 05-27-2018 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:44 AM
Campaigner

What the whating what? o_O

Okay, none of that should have happened, steam is meant to install with all the correct permissions and without any compatibility settings. The steam service not starting either is really odd, windows should start it as soon as a steam game is started due to how the steam exe wrapper works.

Makes me strongly suspect the route cause of this is the OS, though it could also be another program that's f*cking with permissions and compatibility settings etc.

Unfortunately 9 times out of 10 the best way to deal with this is a complete reinstall of windows if don't find anything else that could be the cause. Mainly as given the mess windows permissions are, MS has never made a tool to fix them, so everything has to be done manually or via a 3rd party program. But that's not guaranteed to work, as I've found out the fun way with my music folder...

Anyhow, to reinstall Windows without loosing your files, simply copy the folders within C:\Users to somewhere safe, preferably another hard drive, along with any movies/music etc folders that aren't nested in a user folder. And use a suitable backup program for your browser settings/favourites etc, makes setting things back up an ease. Oh and certain games, particularly older, pre-Windows XP ones, stores any saves within their installation folder, so check any of those if you have saves you don't want to loose.

The rest of it's pretty simple, and the windows installer will ease you through the process, though you may want to format the hard drive you're going to install windows on. Since otherwise you end up with a windows.old folder that hogs space and can take ages to delete.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:13 PM
Initiate

Hi, small detail I might not have written clearly about was that the green bordered window only opened when I was starting the game from the exe when Steam was completely closed. If Steam was running then nothing happened. The game process started and closed a few seconds later.
Old 05-28-2018, 01:11 AM
Initiate

Hi so I finally found the solution to my problem it was: my firewall Comodo (and me partially)

I've been running with Avast as an antivirus and Comodo as firewall for a while. When new useless of duplicate functions where brought online I usually just deactivated them (like comodo antivirus function wich is really sensitive) so basically I thought I had deactivated all those extra functionality but some were still active. I accidentally discovered (when some other random programs started having trouble) that the green border the windows of GD and such where not indication of compatibility function with older version of windows like I first thought, but indicated that Comodo was running the programs in SandBox mode (isolated from the rest of the computer). The exception list I had made seems to only apply to the firewall part of the program. So to cut the problems (it as starting to prevent other programs from updating), I decided to uninstall the program and everything seems fine now

So sorry for the trouble and thanks for the help everyone!
And on another note: Anyone know a good free firewall software?
Time to go kill stuff!

Last edited by corladon64; 05-28-2018 at 03:38 AM.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:24 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by corladon64 View Post
Hi so I finally found the solution to my problem it was: my firewall Comodo (and me partially)

Time to go kill stuff!
Hey! Please don't feel bad, I'm impressed at the effort, work and clear descriptions of what you've tried and the results. It really does help, even the "this did nothing" as it's so very helpful in future cases.

Really glad you've found, and solved, the problems. As for firewall (and possibly AV) I really, really struggle to admit I'm going to suggest this as for many, many years this is the very last company I'd let do this, but with the amount of pop up's and other shite from previously good AV's I had enough one day and tried it..... Shock Horror.... in Win 10 I've given up on all the free AV's and I now let Win 10 sort the AV and the firewall. It has all the options to allow etc that I get with any other product and the thing that got me to stay with it is it doesn't keep popping in my face with announcements etc.

Cannot believe I've just recommended Microsoft for AV and firewall...damn how the world changes
Old 05-28-2018, 09:58 AM
Campaigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by corladon64 View Post

I've been running with Avast as an antivirus and Comodo as firewall for a while. When new useless of duplicate functions where brought online I usually just deactivated them (like comodo antivirus function wich is really sensitive) so basically I thought I had deactivated all those extra functionality but some were still active. I accidentally discovered (when some other random programs started having trouble) that the green border the windows of GD and such where not indication of compatibility function with older version of windows like I first thought, but indicated that Comodo was running the programs in SandBox mode (isolated from the rest of the computer). The exception list I had made seems to only apply to the firewall part of the program. So to cut the problems (it as starting to prevent other programs from updating), I decided to uninstall the program and everything seems fine now

Time to go kill stuff!
I have never been so happy to have been proven wrong :P

Congrats on fixing it!

Strange fluffing behaviour though, since usually anti-virus makers usually don't configure their anti-virus detection such that it sandboxes any old program, let alone messes with games of all things. Sure cracked ones can be vectors for all sorts of fun stuff, along with dodgy trainers, but those are invariably caught during the initial scan when the files are downloaded. That and steam pre-screens everything anyhow with enterprise level anti-virus software, so it hasn't to my knowledge ever been a vector for viruses. So sandboxing anything downloaded to steam's cache and steamapps\common is utterly pointless.

Also - I now recall Comodo's caused issues with games in the past, but that was so long ago I can't recall anything else. At least it's not Norton though.

/sigh

Oh well, for everyday needs microsoft's inbuilt firewall and the one that should be baked into your router's firmware usually do the job. Especially if you're not using the cheap ass router ISP's usually hand out for free when you sign up.