Old 05-28-2011, 11:36 AM
Counsel

Default Secrets places-Areas.

I know it has been talked about before and in some thread's.

How about making a Vote on who want secrets places or not.
Easy to find or not
Finding small fragments of a map to some underground lvl ( xp-items-miniboss fight )
hidden basements rooms

I Vote for all kind if secrets places/Rooms/dungeons Etc +1
Old 05-28-2011, 12:15 PM
Champion

Count me in.

I love finding secret places and searching all over for them. Finding Secrets is like 50% of the game-fun for me. Take several FinalFantasy-games. So much to find outside of the mainstory.
Anyone who remembers the Weapons from FFVII? Trying to get all G.F.s in FFVIII? Trying to finish the Chocobo-Sidequest in FFIX? Searching for all the ultimate Weapons in FFX? Good times, good times.

I know something on that scale is impossible in GD but a few secrets, like the secret bosses in TQ would be nice

"Buying things enhances my gaming experience."
Old 05-28-2011, 02:21 PM
Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code187 View Post
Finding small fragments of a map to some underground lvl ( xp-items-miniboss fight )
hidden basements rooms
I Vote for all kind if secrets places/Rooms/dungeons Etc +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Count me in.

I love finding secret places and searching all over for them. Finding Secrets is like 50% of the game-fun for me. Take several FinalFantasy-games. So much to find outside of the mainstory.

I know something on that scale is impossible in GD but a few secrets, like the secret bosses in TQ would be nice
I absolutly agree, it will be very nice, if we can find some secret places outside of the story where you can find special things like monster(bosses), items or special quest
Or a doungeon sounds very interessting, fight against monster, which will be stronger and stronger.

Last edited by Moschl; 05-28-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:23 PM
Campaigner

I agree. though you should of made it a poll.

it is better to die for the emperor then to live for your self.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:30 PM
Emissary

I think for this to work well, the loot system needs to work on a work applied == reward given basis. I.e, if I found the secret and got through to the end chamber after 15 minutes, I want the loot chest to have awesome stuff in it, every time. TQ did that pretty well.

Diablo 2 struggled a lot with this, you'd often go through half a dungeon out of your way only to open a chest at the end for NOTHING whatsoever. If you don't get rewarded properly for taking the time to find the secrets you may as well not have them and leave it to the chests in the quest path.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:59 PM
Lord Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumshoe View Post
Diablo 2 struggled a lot with this, you'd often go through half a dungeon out of your way only to open a chest at the end for NOTHING whatsoever. If you don't get rewarded properly for taking the time to find the secrets you may as well not have them and leave it to the chests in the quest path.
Finding good stuff in D2 was much more satisfying because the event of that was much rarer. The harder you work for it, the more satisfied you are when you find something. TQ was too slutty with them and handed them out like candy at Halloween, D2 went overboard the otherway with the astronomically low chance to find the best stuff (which were high runes). Although players did have something to aim for when playing D2 for the rest of their natural lifes...
One way to balance it out is dump truckloads of endgame equipment in the game, so players keep finding new, interesting stuff that is neither overpowered, nor underpowered, just offers different playstyles.

Awesome stuff is a relative, subjective term. There needs to be a proper balance for dropping. I'm afraid this differs per gamer.

Anyway, secret areas, yes cool. Not necessarily easter egg areas, just cool, secret stuff.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:41 PM
Acolyte

And random secret stuff, then you don't come in an area and say "OK, let's find the secret place" .
Old 05-28-2011, 10:43 PM
Lord Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeckhyl View Post
And random secret stuff, then you don't come in an area and say "OK, let's find the secret place" .
Lol, actually that's very important. To let secret areas remain secret
Old 05-29-2011, 12:06 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeckhyl View Post
That's kinda the point of the "secret" part.

btw: <- finished all secrets in Chrono Trigger.^^
Only one wasn't possible because of a bug or something. Even looked it up but some trigger(lul) or whatever didn't work.

"Buying things enhances my gaming experience."
Old 05-30-2011, 12:43 AM
Emissary

Good news for those who do want secret/hidden areas (which is probably the vast majority of the community)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medierra
I feel that being able to see an expansive world map stimulates the imagination and drive for exploration where you can see far off, cool-looking areas on the map that you want to get to but aren't necessarily sure whether it is even possible and aren't sure what you might find there. A lot of older games were like this where they'd have cool semi-hidden locations (not even hidden really but just areas that the main story didn't direct you to) that weren't even part of the story but you might stumble upon them if you ventured off to the right spot on the map. . . . Personally, I think it is important to create optional content like that because even for the portion of the audience that never finds it, it plays a role in creating the "magic" of the game. To me, part of this magic is feeling like a game is more than just a carefully scripted series of events that designers intended for me to see and that I may find things in a game that most people don't. Whether this is true or not doesn't matter, it's all about create the right perception.
It'll be so much fun just stumbling off into some little cavern you happen to trip over during exploration. How could it possibly be bad?

Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/klo0ga
Closed Thread

Tags
world