Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Developer Section > Development Updates

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 12-07-2016, 06:36 PM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamba View Post
Nothing. If you use cheat engine any endgame content that could be added is lost on you as you simply get the best gear and level 85 within minutes...

Play the game the way it is meant to be played and farm Ultimate / Crucible. If you are breezing through both, it is time to try a different build
I started game as soldier but didnt find what I expected and I changed. That's all. It wasn't even cheating and it doesn't affects anything about endgame content
Old 12-07-2016, 06:42 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirah View Post
I started game as soldier but didnt find what I expected and I changed. That's all. It wasn't even cheating and it doesn't affects anything about endgame content
I interpreted your

Quote:
I tried some builds with cheat engine.
as creating some level 85 chars with different builds to see how they are faring. Certainly sounds like more than one respec
Old 12-08-2016, 02:22 AM
Campaigner

Quote:
I'de somewhat advise against that train of thought. Early on, I gave Nightblade a try and hastily stopped/deleted the character halfway through Act 1. 400 hours later and I decide to give it a proper chance and it's become one of my favourite characters.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:43 AM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellcat View Post
The irony is that exactly the crucible was supposed to be this part of the game, supposed to create a game within a game, the filler to entertain the players bored of the story line and those willing to push the limits. A substitute of endless dungeon, rifts, maps, call it whatever. And it failed, IMO.

On the other hand, you have a few experience in the game, though you claim for optional endgame content. You haven't even reached the endgame in the story line, why do you want more?
I'm aware that the lack of optional content and the inability to play a single character forever, is the major gripe of the players coming from fast paced MMO-ish aRPGs like D3 and PoE. And they obviously have their reasons. But let's take into account that these games got only late game and the story line is just a filler, which you breeze through in a couple of hours on your way to rifts/maps. While GD is a completely different game by its core design - it encourages exploration, full clears, rerolls.
These all are different games, with different philosophy, rules and design. And it's incredibly hard to make a universal game, able to please all of these audiences. Mind it.
How does grim dawn reward full clears? Once you hit 85 and level your devotions trash mobs are a nuance. They offer you nothing and trickle in annoyingly while picking up mats or scanning greens on the ground. Many people rush through the leveling process in GD as well. I prefer full clears there but now that I know where the content that I need to explore is located (shrines) I'm not as anal about it. Still find the leveling process fun though.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:50 AM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper0n View Post
Endgame is what you want it to be (for me its to get to nemesis monsters and try to defeat them). I don't think any game has randomly generated monsters. As for maps I don't know how this will add variety to the game (it's basically the same tiles just arranged differently) all you are doing is just killing monsters paying no mind to the map layout anyways. You can always try out SoT and BoC to satisfy you dungeon needs. D3 rifts are no different, it's the same thing same monsters same tile sets, If you play rifts for about 2 hours you've played pretty much everything D3 has to offer in terms of map variety.
Still managed to feel rewarding. D3 didn't always drop loot like candy. I farmed for a very long time for a furnace.

Imo if crate is going to buff and patch sets every patch it's just going to punish the people who don't play the game almost completely. It creates fotm builds. I'm not going to play a game with a punishing loot system that nerfs the good stuff just as you come close to reaching it. Carrot on a stick games just can't work like that if you want to keep players. I may be over reacting. We'll see once the patch notes drop.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:35 AM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
Still managed to feel rewarding. D3 didn't always drop loot like candy. I farmed for a very long time for a furnace.

Imo if crate is going to buff and patch sets every patch it's just going to punish the people who don't play the game almost completely. It creates fotm builds. I'm not going to play a game with a punishing loot system that nerfs the good stuff just as you come close to reaching it. Carrot on a stick games just can't work like that if you want to keep players. I may be over reacting. We'll see once the patch notes drop.
D3 has been dropping loot like candy now, and the Greater Rift system ends up being so rewarding that many OTHER THINGS you can do in D3 end up not only being irrelevant but also feeling like a CHORE. And do you know what the D3 Devs have been doing throughout the game's lifespan after ROS? They've been making fotm builds. I'm sorry if I'm rebutting, but your post has some irony to it.

I've never felt that way when playing Grim Dawn. One of the fun things about Grim Dawn is that you can do pretty much WHATEVER you want and it's bound to complete at LEAST ultimate campaign. And gear is mostly balanced in the game because they'll have some form of utility, be it in the form of boosting offensive capabilities, or defensive capabilities.
Primal Strike Warder
Ranged DW Commando
Lightning DW Trickster
Old 12-08-2016, 04:42 AM
Speaker

Quote:

The nerfs are not as bad as you think they are, just minor adjustments. Again D3 is not a good example of balancing, "increased 3000% damage to x skill" is not exactly great balance.

The reason it feels rewarding is because of the animations/combat imo,(I have to agree they nailed the combat) it just feels too good. The game is sadly as deep as a puddle. 3 stats for every build is not exactly deep.

Last edited by viper0n; 12-08-2016 at 04:46 AM.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:47 AM
Herald

Quote:
How does grim dawn reward full clears? Once you hit 85 and level your devotions trash mobs are a nuance.
Well, I was about the game design in general. While leveling, game definitely encourages you of doing full clears - there are plenty of side quests and secret areas, with rewards. It tickles you to keep on exploring and doesn't encourage "follow the road" mentality.

So called "end game" is a different beast. I know it's hard to persuade someone that farm past 85 is charming. As in the first place it isn't much, though it still appeals to a great part of the population here.
The major problems face players used to online MMOs/aRPGs, where a single char can be played forever and it's still intriguing due to the frequent drastic balance changes and meta shifts, combined with constant pumping of new content (the quality of which is often debatable).

A game able to please everyone's taste simply doesn't exist.

P.S.
I'm not against adding additional endgame content, not in the slightest. Just don't want it to be implemented the way some people think it should.

Last edited by hellcat; 12-08-2016 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:00 AM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceno View Post
It is a bug. The Cadence tooltip suggests it hits with both weapons, but in practice only connects with one.
Yeah, I was writing exactly about this bug. It frustrates my Blademaster.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:55 AM
Campaigner

Bravo for bug fixes! I hope All-Terrain Wave Skills get packaged in this update too.

Tags
grim misadventure