Old 09-16-2013, 10:56 AM
Advocate

Default physique is ALWAYS better then cunning imo

physique lets you use a weapon + all armor, the downside? you have less offensive ability, but guess what, you can wear armor that gives +80 OA on every part, which there is no need for cunning (if you use a mace it has no pierce damage)

cunning is worthless because if you have no physique , you cant wear any armor at all, but hey atleast you can still use 1 weapon right?

physique = 10 items with attributes, cunning = 1 item with attributes
Old 09-16-2013, 11:45 AM
Counsel

Ill have to disagree with you a bit there.
If you are going Soldier you get enough Physique from the stat points and Military Conditioning to equip everything.
If you are going Demolitionist you only need to put a couple stat points into Physique to equip everything.
I cant speak on how much Occultist needs as Ive never played one.

There is no rule that says every single skill points must be invested in cunning. People who do that, myself included, make up for it through gear. For example my Demolitionist has only put 2 points into Physique early on and has one piece of gear with +8% Physique on it. This gives him enough to wear the heaviest of armors and his high cunning allows him to equip the biggest crossbows.

Cunning at the moment is vital to any build relying on auto attacks. The reason is with B12 the difficulty has been brought up some. Even with high cunning and OA you still get a bit misses and deflections. Trying to make up for low cunning with +OA items means you are going to be missing out on other vital stats like +% damages, resistances, attack speed, etc. So saying that cunning is "worthless" and you "cant equip any armor at all" is more then a bit of an exageration.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:22 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando450 View Post
physique lets you use a weapon + all armor, the downside? you have less offensive ability, but guess what, you can wear armor that gives +80 OA on every part, which there is no need for cunning (if you use a mace it has no pierce damage)

cunning is worthless because if you have no physique , you cant wear any armor at all, but hey atleast you can still use 1 weapon right?

physique = 10 items with attributes, cunning = 1 item with attributes
I play a Witchblade (Soldier/Occultist) and right now, my physique is higher than my cunning, but only because I have several pieces of armor with either +physique or +% to physique. Plus, I have Military Conditioning at rank 2, which is another +5% to physique.

I put pretty much every point into cunning when I level and my physique still rises above my cunning due to the gear I'm wearing and Military Conditioning.

My point being, like you mentioned about cunning, physique is easy enough to come by and saying that cunning is worthless is a little misleading.

Kickstarter Contributor - Hoarder's Edition - 5/2/2012
Old 09-16-2013, 01:04 PM
Praetorian

Before B12 I was working on a HC crit melee build that cleared the Hallowed Hills at level 13. Guess which stat I maxed.

I like to try builds that are not heavily gear dependant so you can make them with whatever you pick up or farm as you are leveling up. As you can imagine you don't find alot of really good OA gear at level 13 and i found cunning to be invaluable to making the crit build viable enough to go up against mobs twice my level.

"You have served the Black Legion well. We do not forget our allies."
- Deathmark Vallar
Old 09-16-2013, 02:15 PM
Lord Advocate

You can get all the physique you need from putting skill points in your class. That way (at least with soldier) you are able to wear any armor that can drop in the game right now - without having to spend a single point in physique.

So it comes down to whether you want more hit points or more damage. From my personal experience you get a ton of HP just by advancing your class - enough to do some serious tanking - so I actually prefer to put almost all my attribute points into cunning, because you know... offense is the best defense. The faster the enemies die, the less hits I have to be able to tank

I once tried to build a pure physique soldier in B11 with as much health as possibly - but I didn't play it far. Was boring somehow

Last edited by hooby; 09-16-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:47 PM
Supporter

What happens if you find some really nice drops, but they happen to have no OA? Then you're kinda in a rough spot because you've pigeon holed your character into needing OA on almost all his gear. Putting some points into cunning allows you to be more flexible with your gear.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:39 PM
Champion

I must add to all above that Cunning also affects your physical, piercing and bleeding damage from weapon attacks. You never get much phys melee damage without high Cunning.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:26 PM
Praetorian

I still tend to initially keep all three stats balanced, with focus then falling behind eventually - even though that might change, now that some of my gear requires more of it

I like to choose my gear based on its bonuses and not be limited by desperately needing a specific one
Old 09-17-2013, 11:53 AM
Advocate

I split them 30% physique and 70% cunning. Works great for me with melee characters not dying in hardcore.

Reveal the Will-o'-the-wisp!
Closed Thread

Tags
attributes, builds, damage