Old 05-21-2012, 09:32 PM
Supporter

Isnt that why games have different "level settings"? To accommodate a varied player base in both "hardcore /mediumcore/ softcore" and age groups?!

It seems as though many writing in the forums want / hope Grim Dawn to be hardcore only and anything less will be sad. Holding onto specific ideas about how something...... ANYTHING..... "should" be will ALWAYS lead to disappointment.

Games need to be simple enough at the start to allow progress. Then as one progresses you can adjust your character as the game allows. And it is this that most "hardcore"players enjoy a lot ..... Fine tuning their characters to a level of play that they associate with best. This takes a fair amount of time and skill and produces great satisfaction.

Just don't lose sight of the fact that it's a game and they are played for enjoyment. Everyone's idea of enjoyment is different, so too are the reasons they actually play. Whatever your underlying reasons are ...... they involve a challenge!

Last edited by eisprinzessin; 05-21-2012 at 10:15 PM. Reason: please use formatting options in moderation
Old 05-21-2012, 11:29 PM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa View Post
Isnt that why games have different "level settings"? To accommodate a varied player base in both "hardcore /mediumcore/ softcore" and age groups?!
That doesn't account for the game's design.

One example: Skyrim vs. Oblivion. There are no character attributes (agility, strength, endurance, etc.) in Skyrim like its predecessors; they dumbed it down to keeping only the health, fatigue, magicka. My character is essentially the same as every other Skyrim character with neither strengths nor weaknesses. How droll. I have zero attachment to my character.

Another example: In Guild Wars, you have hundreds of skills to choose from, given in piecemeal during levelling as to not overwhelm you from the start. You can bring any eight with you. I love that system and it's what drew me to and kept me in the game. (a magazine review called it RPG with CCG elements; having been a MtG player, I had to buy it)

Contrarily, in GW2, you are locked into a certain set of skills. I won't get into it but it is stifling and I can't create the character I want or play how I want. Granted, I only played the beta for 3 days and I'm hoping there is far more to the system than what I saw. Having played GW, TQ, Torchlight even, GW2, thus far, for me was a disappointment.

That is what I (and likely others) mean by "hardcore" vs. "casual". ("requires thought" vs. "requires pulse")

Last edited by Rolo42; 05-21-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:42 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo42 View Post
If you haven't seen Mike Judge's movie, Idiocracy, do so pronto; it's silly amusing and eerie prophetic.
Heh, loved that movie. It's so sad we are slowly going towards that era. =))

Best music label of all times: www.g7welcomingcommittee.com/

"Boxed Deluxe Edition" support
Old 05-22-2012, 07:54 AM
Campaigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roq View Post

Perhaps going back to Wizardry 1 style would be a bit *too* retrogressive, but it did add greatly to the challenge and the tension when you have to try to get a dead party member back to the surface, knowing that your whole party could get wiped forever...
Wouldn't hurt my feelings any. I would love to play a modernized Wizardry 1. Many fond memories of playing Wizardry, tinkering with character classes, drawing out the maps on graph paper..
That being said, if Wiz ever did get remade, I do NOT want to draw the maps on graph paper any more, please include an automap..
Old 05-23-2012, 02:22 PM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Tucker View Post
Wouldn't hurt my feelings any. I would love to play a modernized Wizardry 1. Many fond memories of playing Wizardry, tinkering with character classes, drawing out the maps on graph paper..
That being said, if Wiz ever did get remade, I do NOT want to draw the maps on graph paper any more, please include an automap..
Totally agree. Would play any of those early Wizardry games again with an automap - and wouldn't hurt to have some dungeon graphics as well as in the later D.W. Bradley games...

The wiz games though were balanced around the idea that you couldn't reload, although still pretty difficult. But subsequent games tend to have the philosophy that it doesn't matter too much if you casually kill off the player since they can easily reload. So I reckon that games really need to be designed with this in mind from the start.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:27 PM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by i.n.s.a.n.e View Post
Heh, loved that movie. It's so sad we are slowly going towards that era. =))
I wouldn't say that we are going to that era in terms of intelligence. This is because intelligence is not hereditary. I'd say we'll get to that point in the same way as how it happened in Brave New World. That is that we will become dumb because we will choose enjoyment and pleasure over rationality, hard work, and achievements. And because of that we will never think and never learn because we will be to preoccupied with having fun.
Closed Thread

Tags
difficulty, game design, interview, press