Old 10-18-2015, 05:23 PM
Supporter

Default [B27]Conjurer: The Corrupted Paladin

Hello altogether Iīm having so much fun atm with this build that I decided to try to present it here in an adequate way. But Iīm still relatively new to the game and I never have made such a thread(or even recorded some gameplay for that matter^^), so please be nice, ok?

The Corrupted Paladin
Once a proud and honourful member of his order, this paladin has been captured by the enemy and was long declared dead. But somehow he returned alive one day. No one can imagine the horrors he must have seen, the pain and tortures he suffered, and he doesnīt want to speak about his captivity at all. But, while he certainly is in some way corrupted and can no longer use his former might and skills, he somehow seems to have learned some dark magic, and, even more important, his desire for vengeance seems limitless, making him even stronger than he was before...

This bit of lore just came to mind^^ So this is a hybrid with the aspects being RETALIATION / CHAOS SPELLCASTER / % CHANCE WHEN HIT PROCS.

Pros:
-high base stats due to having 85 points in masteries
-decent retaliation
-some AOE for ranged mobs/heroes/bosses(sigil)
-good burst dmg against bosses(doom bolt/possession)
-good survivabilty due to high armor/good HP/mostly decent resistances/good healing ability(sigil/blood of dreeg)
-amazing procs that go off quite often and deal very high dmg
-just very fun to play

Cons:
-no spammable skill, slightly hurting clear speed because of waiting for CDs(although I donīt really feel the build needs one, and i.e. chaos bolt could be very easily added to it)
-very low DA, meaning getting crit a lot(but we WANT to get hit al lot)
-VERY gear dependant, especially the proc items and part of redemtion set are essential for this build
-a few low resistances, that being, amongst other, the dmg types he deals himself, making him very prone to reflect mobs

Hereīs the base build: http://grimcalc.com/build/JTvCec
And with bonuses: http://grimcalc.com/build/qs7v32
Attribute distribution is included in the build links.

Aand hereīs a gameplay vid of a quick cronley run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITYJPC5Yl6g

Gear:
Can all be found here: http://gracefuldusk.appspot.com/ In brackets are component completion bonuses.
Weapon: Voidblade + Symbol of Solael(Total Dmg)
Offhand: Rhowari Spellweaver Codex of Solaelīs Malice + Symbol of Solael(Total Dmg)
Head: Faceguard of Redemption + Runestone(OA)
Shoulders Shoulderguards of Redemption + Spined Carapace(Total Dmg)
Chest: Cloth of Unspeakable Invocation + Ancient Armor Plate(Chaos Dmg)
Hands: Handguards of Redemption + Spined Carapace(Total Dmg)
Legs: Legplates of Valor + Ancient Armor Plate(%HP)
Feet: Desecrator Treads + Mark of Modrogen(%HP)
Amulet: Avarice of Androneus + Attuned Lodestone
Ring 1: Rhowari Void Seal + Roiling Blood(Aether Resistance)
Ring 2: Harmonious Diamond Signet of the Dranghoul(crafted ) + Roiling Blood(Chaos Resistance)
Medal: Mark of the false Gods + Arcane Spark(%Spirit)
Waist: Rhowari Waistguard of Attack + Spined Carapace(Armor)
Relic: Blight(+1 Second Rite)

I find the build to be well balanced with this gear/skills/attribute distributions, but of course it can be tweaked and changed in many ways and there are lots of gear alternatives, but, as I said before, I consider some parts as essential, especially the redemption set parts and the 3 doom bolt proc items, imo the procs are the sweetest thing about this build

Leveling Tips:
Umm, not much here because I didnīt have too much trouble leveling, but I have to say I started with the occultist, took DEE at first for dmg, then sigil, and respecced from DEE to Doom bolt as soon as I reached that. I donīt remember exactly when, but I took the shaman at some point to add some survivability to the build. But other than that(and the nice %retaliation dmg from oak skin) thereīs nothing essential here for the build, so as long as you donīt feel too squishy you can stick to occultist for some time...farming and crafting for the right gear/affixes is another topic though^^. Luckily rep grinding is only necessary for the Rovers(although Kymonīs do have a very nice chaos/sigil medal, but at the time I realized that I had already chosen the Order -.- So Iīll have to wait for the next difficulty mode to get that).

I think thatīs it, hope I didnīt forget something important^^. Have fun with the build, I certainly do

Edit: Yes, of course I forgot something: the augments are as follows:
2x Troll Wart Powder
1x Breath of Life
1x Modrogenīs Sanctity
1x Spirit of Vengeance(how fitting^^)

Last edited by Blood_wedding; 10-18-2015 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:55 PM
Acolyte

This actually looks really neat/fun! I didn't think it was possible to stack up so much retaliation (it looks like a lot of the non-heroes/bosses outright kill themselves?)

It seems like you're mostly using Occultist, though. Is there any particular reason you've paired it with Shaman over another mastery? Sorry if I'm overlooking something, I might be missing something.

It does look pretty neat, though. Thematically and mechanically. Really tempted to try something like this with maybe Soldier instead of Shaman (or investing a bit more into Shaman) to give it some spammable melee component.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:31 PM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0range View Post
This actually looks really neat/fun! I didn't think it was possible to stack up so much retaliation (it looks like a lot of the non-heroes/bosses outright kill themselves?)

It seems like you're mostly using Occultist, though. Is there any particular reason you've paired it with Shaman over another mastery? Sorry if I'm overlooking something, I might be missing something.

It does look pretty neat, though. Thematically and mechanically. Really tempted to try something like this with maybe Soldier instead of Shaman (or investing a bit more into Shaman) to give it some spammable melee component.
Thank you!
Yes, I took Shaman almost exclusively for the +% Total Retaliation Dmg that Oak Skin gives(and that isnīt shown in grim calc). Otherwise my retaliation wouldnīt be that high because Iīm not using the full redemption set. But aside from that soldier is also a very nice second class.

Edit: And when the lvl cap is raised, the 15% dmg absorption from Primal Bond will come in handy, too, giving 48% dmg absorption while Possession is active. Very neat for a build that intentionally gets hit a lot^^

Edit 2: I also tried out a melee version of it, and there I went without the retaliation and with Soldier instead of Shaman, just using Scythe of Tenebris with Cadence and Sigil. It seemed also very viable and fun, but I had only 1 of the doom bolt procs, so I wanted to max that to 3 and add some retaliation as another layer to it, so I started this build.

Last edited by Blood_wedding; 10-18-2015 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:33 PM
Acolyte

I was thinking of a Witchblade with the full Redemption set (so throwing on the shield to boot). Keep the Retaliation, but use Cadence with the transmute to have some more active damage rolling as well. Probably drop Doom Bolt.

Obviously the retaliation wouldn't be as strong, though. Unfortunately, melee shaman seems pretty much all lightning and physical damage, which doesn't really synergize with anything else in the build.

Two things I have no idea about are whether you retaliate when you block, or if you have to actually take a hit for the retaliation damage to trigger. Secondly, if "Total Damage" bonuses apply to retaliation damage as then Squad Tactics would make up at least some of the lost damage from Oak Skin.

All just thoughts. Maybe none of that would work together.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:58 PM
Supporter

Quote:
I was thinking of a Witchblade with the full Redemption set (so throwing on the shield to boot). Keep the Retaliation, but use Cadence with the transmute to have some more active damage rolling as well. Probably drop Doom Bolt.

Obviously the retaliation wouldn't be as strong, though. Unfortunately, melee shaman seems pretty much all lightning and physical damage, which doesn't really synergize with anything else in the build.

Two things I have no idea about are whether you retaliate when you block, or if you have to actually take a hit for the retaliation damage to trigger. Secondly, if "Total Damage" bonuses apply to retaliation damage as then Squad Tactics would make up at least some of the lost damage from Oak Skin.

All just thoughts. Maybe none of that would work together.
Total Damage doesn't apply to retaliation.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:12 PM
Supporter

Quote:
Yeah, that would be a nice variation too. But personally I donīt like sword and board so much, always feels lacking in dmg. Of all different melee weapon types, I like 2-handed the most. And if you want to have the full redemption set you are forced to take a shield. But thats just my personal taste. And I think itīs a more common retaliation build than mine...

Quote:
If you take the full redemption set you get almost exactly the same amount of retaliation as I do, because instead of the bonus from oak skin(which is +100% at 10/10) you would have the full set bonus, which is also +100% Total Retaliation dmg. Meaning that getting BOTH would even lead to much more retaliation, but as already stated, I didnīt want to take the whole set because then I wouldnīt have the doom bolt proc of the focus.

And if you want to take Shaman instead of Soldier, you can at least take Savagery as melee skill instead of Cadence. But yeah, it also has some lightning dmg on it, and overall I think Soldier is the better alternative for melee retaliation builds, because it gives a lot of other nice skills to add(i.e. Fighting Spirit, Field Command, Squad Tactics, etc.

Quote:
If I understood it right you have to be hit to retaliate and Total Dmg bonuses do not count towards retaliation, only Total Retaliation Dmg does.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:23 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood_wedding View Post
If I understood it right you have to be hit to retaliate and Total Dmg bonuses do not count towards retaliation, only Total Retaliation Dmg does.
Retaliation will activate on blocked melee attacks.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:49 PM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceno View Post
Retaliation will activate on blocked melee attacks.
Ah ok, thanks. This means you retaliate if you block the hit, but if the enemy misses you donīt, right?
Closed Thread