Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Classes, Skills and Builds

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 05:11 PM
Speaker

Default [B28] Indestructible 3: Rancor, Night Knight (Swoard & Board Blademaster)

IMPORTANT!
Guide is a bit outdated, I m too lazy to update it, but you can find latest version of the character save file using this download link https://yadi.sk/d/BhosaMKmmm2c3
Enjoy!

Hello again, and now I want to share latest ‘Indestructible’ series build – Rancor, Night Knight.

BUILD IDEA
The aim of the build was to make well-balanced melee character. He is not like kill-them-all-in-a-few-seconds guy (I wandered with some demolitionists who can do such tricks). Good blademaster, arcanist, occultist, summoner, etc can easily outperform it by means of clearspeed. However, this character can withstand pain and decently strike back. Here you can see previous Indestructible and Indestructible 2 character builds.

DISCLAIMER
Yes, it’s kind a heresy to make a blademaster without dual wielding. But that works and a lot of Nightblade options can go even without 2 blades.

BUILD LORE
Usually Nightblades and Blademasters are skillful and agile warriors and assassins who strive to make fight as fast as possible as they rely on speed and cunning more than on armor and protection. But there’s a few Order called Night Knights under the command of Black Legion who use opposite tactics. They are heavily armored, skillful at use of shields and patient. As they are given order, they can spend hours at battlefield until the last of their quarry is feast for the crows. In groups, they are frontier line who assist and protect arcanists and demolitionists.

GRIMCALC

http://grimcalc.com/build/YlSVFN

Yes, there are plenty of 1-pointers, which I also dislike.
But so is with 60 lvl cap.

STATS
Physique = 30
Cunning = 30
Spirit = 0
In future levels, I think, spirit should be raised, as now its 267 with 233 required for Avarice of Androneous.

DEVOTION
Assassin (and Assassin's Mark on primary strike) - nice debuff
Eel to get competion bonus
Shieldmaiden (not complete) for shield goodies
Lion to get completion bonus
Anvil - very good proc on block
Hawk +5% OA Yuppiieeee!

SKILLS - SOLDIER
Oleron's Rage = 12 points. +17% to Offensive ability + flat trauma damage? Yes, please!
Markovian Advantage & Zolthan’s Technique = 1 point. With +3 to all Soldier you get solid weapon proc.
Fighting Spirit = 1 point. The same story as with Markovian & Zolthan’s.
Overguard = 1 point. One point is enogh as your shield defence is good even without it.
Blitz & Blindside = 1 point. RMB skill for charging and dealing with small groups (2-3) of ordinary enemies.
Shield Training = 12 points (9+gear bonuses). Keep this MAX as you need Shield recovery and block chance. When you have Shied recovery over 100%, can respec it to save some points.
Veterancy = 1 point. Works well with +3 to Soldier skills. Also with lesser physique requirements for armor you can put not all points in Physique.
Field Command & Squad Tactics = 12 point first, 9 point second Very nice buff to pimp OA and DA, as well as armor. Total damage from squad tactics is nice, and you don't really need high attack speed.
Decorated Soldier = 8 points. It gives you physical damage and elemental resisitiances, boosting both defence and offence.
Scars of battle = 1 point. Good one-point armor buff, especially if combined with Praetorian set.

SKILLS - NIGHTBLADE
Veil of Shadow = 1 point. Very good skill. At the moment it’s not maxed due to the lack of skill points, but I will definitely do that in the future.
Pneumatic Burst + Shadow dance = 6 points first, 4 second. Again, it’s a brilliant skills, but lack of skill points hurt em.
Phantasmal armor = 1 point. Along with Arcane Spark this skill helps you to sustain your energy reserve without drinking potions.
Blade Barrier = 1 point. One point is good, it’s your ultimate defensive tool for emergencies.

GEAR
HEAD = Praetorian Faceguard @ Runestone for DA, health and good armor as well as set bonus )
SHOULDERS = Praetorian Shoulderguard @ Silk Swatch
Alternatively you can use Glory of the Silver Knight for really strong anti-Chtonian attack and more damage.
CHEST = Praetorian Chestguard @ Hallowed Ground with Counterstrike for enjoying the set.
HANDS Squire's Handguards (crafted) @ Antivenom Salve. Try to get 29-30% shield recovery. This is crucial.
LEGGUARDS Shadeleather Leggins with max cunning (3% is the best) @ Silk Swatch for piercing and bleeding resistance.
BELT Warpath girdle @ Antivenom Salve for +1 Soldier skills.
BOOTS Desecrator Treads @ Mark of Mogdrogen for OA and damage.
SHIELD Templar's Faith @ Mark of the Myrmidon @ Demathran Chitin Augment. Try to get as high block chance as you can (seems like 9% is max) and physical damage. Use Lichguard for fighting Death Vigil's and Trogs.
WEAPON Tyrant's Axe of Ruin (bought in a shop on Christhmas sale) @ Shard of Beronath @ Mehrir's Blessing Augment. As you're using counterstrike and other procs you can basically equip any one-handed weapon with +% physical damage and OA.
RINGS
Good ring with +100 OA, traded for some good weapon in multiplayer @ Roiling Blood

And custom ring from Gollum that boosts DA greatly @ Roiling Blood.
Try to get completion bonuses for blood with Chaos/Aether resists with Roiling Blood.
Alternatively, use Twilight signet for fighting Order of Death Vigil's or Trogs.
AMULET Avarice of Androneous given to me by cadpgamer1992 @ Arcane Spark.
MEDAL Badge of the Crimson Company @ Vicious Jawbone. Cunning, more cunning!
RELIC Juggernaut for +1 to all Soldier skills, OA and physical damage.

OFFENCE AND DEFENSE
Numbers are pretty good balanced together.
With Fighting spirit ON offensive ability is 2200+.

PASSIVE DEFENCES
1. Shield. 100% shield block and recovery. Sounds very powerful, though I wouldn't say this char is invincible. But it gives him very solid defence.
2. Evasion Chance. You get 7-8% from Shadeleather Leggins and 7 more from Shadow dance.
2. Resistiances. Try to get them around 40-80%. Vitality is another story, equip Lichguard and Twilight signets.
4. Armor. Your armor is quite high and absorption is ~98% thanks to Praetorian set and Scars of battle passive.
5. Health regeneration. Will be around 70, not so high, but enough for healing.
6. Juggernaut relic healing Will heal you on rare criticals.
7. Mehrir's Will. This is your last resort)

ACTIVE DEFENCES

What I love about this build is that he has a lot of ‘emergency’ buttons for tanking. So watch the battlefield and hit buttons when needed.
1. Overguard. With it you will have like 92% shield block, 100+ recovery and boost of health regeneration. Use it when you are bored or slightly endangered.
2. Pneumatic burst. Saves you a lot of potions, boosts your speed and DA. Grreeeeat! Use it as often as needed.
3. Blade barriet. Ultimate defense for 3 seconds. I suggest you using it in really difficult situations, like Trap chest in SoT. Works great as well.
4. Mehrir's Bullwark. You are going to have this in the future. IMO is weaker than overguard, but still works as an alternative for healing potion.

PASSIVE OFFENSE
1. Targo's Hammer BRILLIANT! No cooldown and decent damage.

ACTIVE OFFENSIVE OPTIONS
You have fewer options, than in Indestructible 2, but higher OA makes them more formidable.
1. Beronath's Fury YESS! Saves you a lot of skill points.
2. Blitz Great for killing small groups of mobs, charging and debuffing bosses.

TACTICS. LEVELLING
Up soldier tree first, start with maxing cadence and you will cut fast through enemies.
Equip Guardsman set and wear it till lvl 40.
At lvl 30-32 I recommend you switching to Counterstrike, equipping Squire's Handguards and Sentinel Seals.
At lvl 35 equip Juggernaut relic.
At lvl 40 - wear Redemption set, Legplates of Valor and Chosen star of War.
At lvl 50 you are good to wear all top gear.

TACTICS.
Take it easy and kill everyone. Tap Pneumatic burst or Overguard or Blade Barrier or potion if bored or endangered.

VIDEOS
All recorded at lvl 50.

Mogara Manticore Boss Run

Sunken Reliquary run
Alkamos Boss Run

PROS AND CONS
Pros.
+ Ultimate survivability combined from shield, HP, DA, resistances and armor. No deaths so far.
+ Perfect balance between offence and defense – 2100 OA and ~1600 DA at lvl 60
+ Good crowd control in single player.
+ Fun to play, as you don't need to concetrate hardly, can drink tea and basically use only mouse in most cases.

Cons.
- Top surviviability requires some top and rare items.
- In multiplayer quite a lot of builds can outperform you in terms of damage and mobs (especially bosses).

P.S.
As usual, thanks for reading and I’ll be looking forward to your comments and suggestions.

Last edited by Mr Fender; 01-09-2016 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:06 PM
Counsel

Interesting concept and bonus points for the excellent format on the post! Myself I dont care for the lets dump 1 point into many skills builds. However I see the point and what you are going for with this one. It'd be useful in multiplayer with the afore mentioned builds that can kill em all in seconds.

Level 85 Elementalist, 2H Firestrike

retired lvl 85s ~ Spellbreaker Blademaster Conjurer
Old 10-03-2015, 06:47 PM
Speaker

Thanks. Yes, in multiplayer he also really helps less protected builds to tank Alkamos and so on.
BTW Added Alkamos video)

Last edited by Mr Fender; 10-03-2015 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:16 AM
Counsel

LOL! You're that dude I went with in SoT multiplayer. Along with another sorcerer, we REKT the SHIT out of the death rooms. It was as easy as breathing. XD
Primal Strike Warder
Ranged DW Commando
Lightning DW Trickster
Old 10-04-2015, 01:12 PM
Acolyte

Hello Mr Fender,

that is a very nice build and your post have a good structure

I have noticed that you have skilled Breath of Belgothian. I think it is since b27, that this skill work only with two weapons. Next one is, that both subtitle from "PROS AND CONS" are "cons."

Greetings
BG

» http://titanquest.4fansites.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11943
Old 10-04-2015, 03:54 PM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadpgamer1992 View Post
LOL! You're that dude I went with in SoT multiplayer. Along with another sorcerer, we REKT the SHIT out of the death rooms. It was as easy as breathing. XD
Yeah, that was fun. They died faster than I managed to click anything))))
Old 10-04-2015, 03:55 PM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Guard View Post
Hello Mr Fender,

that is a very nice build and your post have a good structure

I have noticed that you have skilled Breath of Belgothian. I think it is since b27, that this skill work only with two weapons. Next one is, that both subtitle from "PROS AND CONS" are "cons."

Greetings
BG
Thanks! Oh, as for Breath of Belgonian, one free skill point is great!
Old 10-09-2015, 10:59 AM
Emissary

This is great. Just what I was looking for when making a soldier so thank you!

Just a few questions though.

I know nightblade have a few decent heals with only 1 point and will be better when level cap increases but are they needed atm ? I wanted to stay pure soldier and it's only 300 hp loss.

Why is counter strike the main offensive skill and not cadence, Would cadence not be better for fighting bosses ?

What is orleons attack, sorry if i missed it. You said you hit very hard with that.

And where did you farm all that good gear ?
Old 10-09-2015, 02:09 PM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crixus View Post

Why is counter strike the main offensive skill and not cadence, Would cadence not be better for fighting bosses ?

That's because without dual blades your only AoE is Zolthan's technique and 95% of time you are going to battle crowds, not bosses. Counterstrike really shines with crowds, try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crixus View Post

What is orleons attack, sorry if i missed it. You said you hit very hard with that.

It's an attack you get with Oleron's blood materia installed in your weapon. Highly recommended thing.

As for healing, yes, I will invest more points (up to 8) in Pneumatic Burst, but now I concentrated on getting decent OA and DA, so you really won't need a lot of healing. Well, Nightblade here is not only because of healing - he adds a lot of Cunning (= OA and damage) by his "+" and Anatomy of Murder skill.

As for epics I recommend farming bosses AND keeping all the stuff and then trading with other playes. Remember, some blue robe can be a rubbish for you soldier and invaluable for some other player's arcanist character.

Last edited by Mr Fender; 10-09-2015 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:56 PM
Emissary

Thanks for the advice. I can't wait to get my soldier up to 50. I wanted to make a shield char at the start but messed him up and didn't really know what I was doing so this is great
Closed Thread

Tags
blademaster, indestructible, mr fender, soldier, tank