Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Classes, Skills and Builds

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 10:20 AM
Speaker

Post [B27] Indestructible 2 - Sword&Board Commando

Greetings and welcome back to the another one shield to tank them all build.
It's my second build here, the first one is Indestructible Warder.

BUILD STORY AND CONCEPT
Some time ago I decided to make the most tanky character. And I think it's Warder thanks to its 15% Primal Bond damage absorption, Modrogen's Pact aura and Wendigo Totem combined with all defensive features of Soldier. If you go all Physique, you will end up with great DA and surviviability. The problem is that with shield it lacks offensive options, as Shaman is designed primarily for 2-handed weapon style. So I decided to make a well-balanced tanky character with decent OA and DA, good shield capabilities and offensive options. Here we go!

INSPIRATION

Soundtrack.

MORADIN - LVL50 B27 SOLDIER + DEMOLITIONIST BUILD

GRIMCALC

Flat.
With gear bonuses.

STATS
Physique = 20
Cunning = 20
Spirit = 10

SKILLS - SOLDIER
Cadence & Fighting Form & Deadly Momentum = 1 point each. This character isn't really LMB auto-attacker.
Markovian Advantage = 1 point. With +3 to all Soldier you get solid weapon proc.
Fighting Spirit = 1 point. The same story as with Markovian.
Overguard = 1 point. One point is enogh as your shield defence is good even without it.
Blitz & Blindside = 1 point. RMB skill for charging and dealing with small groups (2-3) of ordinary enemies.
Veterancy = 13 points (8+gear bonuses). Keep this MAX as you need Shield recovery. When you have Shied recovery over 100%, can respec it to save some points. Also with -20 physique requirements for armor you can point not all points in Physique.
Field Command & Squad Tactics = 1+ point first, 1 point second Very nice buff to pimp OA and DA, as well as armor. Total damage from squad tactics is nice, and you don't really need high attack speed.
Decorated Soldier = 8 points. Max this as it gives you physical damage and elemental resisitiances, boosting both defence and offence.
Scars of battle = 1 point. Good one-point armor buff, especially if combined with Praetorian set.
Counter Strike = 20 points (16 + 4 from gear). Max this as it's your primary offensive skill.
Oleron's Rage & Mehrir's Bullwark = 1 point each. Oleron's is good for Bosses. Unfortunately, it works not such good as with Blademasters or 2-handers, but still is a decent boost. Mehrir's like a health potion for emergencies.

SKILLS - DEMOLITIONIST
Blast Shield = 1 point. Additional piercing & Fire protection.
Vindictive flame = 1 point. Small OA and helth regen boost plus some chance of stun. Never mind the damage)
Flame Touched & Temper = 1 point first, max second Flame touched is just for the aura but Temper is very good as it boosts physical damage and armor.

GEAR

HEAD = Praetorian Faceguard @ Runestone for DA, health and good armor as well as set bonus )
SHOULDERS = Praetorian Shoulderguard @ Resilient plating for piercing resist. Alternatively you can use Glory of the Silver Knight for really strong anti-Chtonian attack and more damage.
CHEST = Praetorian Chestguard @ Hallowed Ground with Counterstrike for enjoying the set. Alternatively, you can use Obsidian Plate-Cuirass for more fire damage and Chaos resist.
HANDS Squire's Handguards (crafted) @ Consecrated wrappings. Try to get 29-30% shield recovery. This is crucial.
LEGGUARDS Legplates of Valor @ Silk Swatch for piercing and bleeding resisitance.
BELT Warpath girdle @ Antivenom Salve for +1 Soldier skills.
BOOTS Desecrator Treads @ Mark of Mogdrogen for OA and damage.
SHIELD Templar's Faith @ Battered Shell @ Mehrir's Blessing Augment. Try to get as high block chance as you can (seems like 9% is max) and physical damage. Use Lichguard for fighting Death Vigil's and Trogs.
WEAPON Devil's Cudgel (crafted) @ Oleron's Blood @ Mehrir's Blessing Augment. As you're using counterstrike and other procs you can basically equip any one-handed weapon with +% physical damage and OA.
RINGS Sentinel's Seals @ Roiling Blood @ Survivor's Resilience. Try to get completion bonuses for blood with Chaos/Aether resists. Seals are offesive stuff as they have 15% to strike hard on block. With 2 seals chances are good) Alternatively, use Twilight signet for fighting Death Vigils and Trogs. In multiplayer when tanking guyz like Alkamos I heavily recommend you to equip +% DA ring instead of one or both Sentinel's Seals.
AMULET Warmaster's Pride @ Attuned Lodestone @ Survivor's Resilience. +1 to all skills are very good. Though for ultimate tankiness and 100% shield recovery you can use Shieldmaiden's Guard.
MEDAL Chosen Star of War @ Attuned Lodestone. Try to get one with +5% Shield Block Chance and 30+% physical damage.
RELIC Juggernaut for +1 to all Soldier skills, OA and physical damage. As I have seen on Graceful Dusk, Citadel relic would be perfect for this build.

PASSIVE DEFENCES
1. Shield. ~65-68% sheild block and ~96% recovery.
2. Resistiances. Try to get them around 40-80%. Vitality is another story, equip Lichguard and Twilight signet.
3. Armor. You'll have a lot of armor thanks to equipment and Temper buff. Absorption is ~98% thanks to Praetorian set and Scars of battle passive.
4. Health regeneration. Will be around 70, not so high, but enough for healing.
5. Juggernaut relic healing Will heal you on rare criticals.
6. Mehrir's Will. This is your last resort)

ACTIVE DEFENCES
1. Overguard. With it you will have like 92% shield block, 100+ recovery and boost of health regeneration. Use it when you are bored or slightly endangered.
2. Mehrir's Bullwark. IMO is weaker than overguard, but still works as an alternative for healing potion.

PASSIVE OFFENSE
1. Counterstike I strongly suggest you to use it, because it strikes quite hard, is excellent as AOE for crowd control and doesn't burn mana.
2. Sentinel's Seal Retribution. ~1000-2000 physical damage with 15% chance on block. Solid.
3. Lighting novas You will get these from Attuned Loderstones and Squire's Handuards. They seem to be low-damage skills, but activate very frequently.
4. Retaliation Lighting from Loderstones, Piercing from Desecrator Treads. Minor damage but still something).

ACTIVE OFFENSIVE OPTIONS
This build is quite versatile and you can choose different offensive styles. Some of them are included in grimcalc, some of them not - it's for you to choose.
1. Cadence + Additions If you like striking things, it's your choice.
2. Blade arc + Laceration Great AOE, slightly weaker than Cadence against bosses.
3. Blitz Great for killing small groups of mobs, charging and debuffing bosses.
4. Oleron's rage . Toggle for bosses and heroes.
5. Mortar Trap . Now this is very good for bosses and large groups of monsters. Burns energy, but is very effective cause this build has a lot of +% to physical damage.
6. Grenado . Hits hard, but personally I don't like it.
7. Flashbang . Solid debuff, but for this build I don't want tapping a lot of buttons)
8. Stun jacks . Should try, maybe they are good)
9. Fire strike . I'd prefer Cadence cause of the +Soldier skills gear.
10. Canister bomb . I like visual effects and range, but don't think it fits the build very good.
11. Thermite mine . They are pets and you have nothing for it. Skip it.

TACTICS. LEVELLING
Up soldier tree first, start with maxing cadence and you will cut fast through enemies. Equip Guardsman set and wear it till lvl 40.
At lvl 30-32 I recommend you switching to Counterstrike, equipping Squire's Handguards and Sentinel Seals.
At lvl 35 equip Juggernaut relic.
At lvl 40 - wear Redemption set, Legplates of Valor and Chosen star of War.
At lvl 50 you are good to wear all top gear.

TACTICS. SINGLE PLAYER
Stock energy potions, cos you will need them.
While battling crowds, charge to archers and casters and align yourself just in the middle of the crowd so Counterstrike strikes everyone.
With bosses, summon Mortar if you have one, put Overguard when needed. Toggle Oleron's rage for some time saving.

TACTICS. MULTIPLAYER
Counterstrike, Sentinel's Seal and Attuned Loderstone procs works well only when monsters attack you. In mp they can aggro for another players. So basic tip is to go and strike first (that's you role - to protect squishy characters). Also for tough and hard-striking bosses like Alkamos I suggest you to swith some gear to more defensive-wise (DA, resistiances and so on).

PROS AND CONS
Cons.

+ Ultimate suviviability combined from shield, HP, DA, resistiances and armor. No deaths so far.
+ Good crowd control in single player.
+ Balanced offence and defence.
+ Fun to play, as you don't need to concetrate hardly, can drink tea and basically use only mouse in most cases.

Cons.
- Top surviviability requires some top and rare items.
- Quite slow at bosses and single targets as proc chance for Counterstrike is lower.
- In multiplayer a lot of builds outperform you in terms of damage and mobs (especially bosses).
- Needs a lot of energy potions and drinks them regularly, especially if you use Mortar Trap.

P.S.
Thanks for reading. If you have any comments or suggestions, feel free to post them

Last edited by Mr Fender; 10-03-2015 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:20 PM
Advocate

Grenade would be another nice offensive tool.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:30 PM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fender View Post
6. Grenado . Hits hard, but personally I don't like it.
Actually I mentioned it, but it's not my style)
Old 09-30-2015, 03:05 PM
Champion

Just another builds "Loads of stats and passives. 1 point to everything". A bit tired from such builds on the forum.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:10 PM
Apostle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grohuf View Post
A bit tired from such builds on the forum.
Submit some of yours and enlighten us?
Old 09-30-2015, 04:15 PM
Speaker

Quote:
Just another builds "Loads of stats and passives. 1 point to everything". A bit tired from such builds on the forum.
Well, Soldier has a lot of passive skills, that are great for tanking, so what?

As for one-pointers, they are all customizable.
You can stop at 40 points in soldier without Oleron's and Mehrir's and spend 12 points to something else. For example, for bumping Fighting Spirit.
You can skip blast shield and vindictive flame, it's all optional.
Markovian advantage and Mehrir's Will really don't deserve more than 1 point in this build.
You even can skip cadence and blitz, but it's counter productive as you have +3 to soldier skills and having something on LMB and RMB is handy.

The point of this build is not in 1-pointers, but in certain crucial skills, as Veterancy, Military Conditioning, Decorated Soldier, Counterstrike and Temper combined with certain gear that make this build really tanky.

Other skills and offensive options can be highly customized (see Offensive options block).
Old 09-30-2015, 06:57 PM
Champion

You put your build as some sort of fire based tanking character. But in fact it has not anything from fire. And it has not anything significant from Demo tree.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:04 PM
Speaker

Quote:
You put your build as some sort of fire based tanking character. But in fact it has not anything from fire. And it has not anything significant from Demo tree.
Actually I didn't say a word about fire thematics. I just said it's like an Indestructible tank. It's physical based)

Maybe it's the picture that confused you, it's from Disturbed 'Indestructible' album, so the idea was this character is not burn by fire, not struck by lightning, not suffer from poison, etc - is Indestructible)
Old 09-30-2015, 08:35 PM
Herald

Quote:
Did you actually even look at his build?

He clearly took the defensive options from demo and maxed temper to boost his physical damage/internal trauma/armour.

Just for the record, picking "demo" does not mean you "must" focus on fire.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:05 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck_King View Post
Did you actually even look at his build?

He clearly took the defensive options from demo and maxed temper to boost his physical damage/internal trauma/armour.

Just for the record, picking "demo" does not mean you "must" focus on fire.
Temper? Don't make me laugh. He could pick any other mastery. And pick any other passive from it. Result will be the same.

I almost got to level 50 by such build:
http://grimcalc.com/build/yuxp7O
Not pure tank of course but can clean almost everything without running. I'm a bit messed up physique/spirit ration making hard to equip heavy armor on legs and shoulders.
BWC with High Potency + VF gives very good boost to your DA allowing to stop to recieve crits. MS compensates low hp pool and caster armor on some slots (of course I played with caster chest+head+focus). Also it increases effectiveness of your health regen by 50% (I had 136%). BWC with High Potency + OFF gives good aoe damage. Single target damage comes from items (conflagration or Fireblast).
I played by selffound character and gameplay was very easy (including SoT and all other challenge areas). Easier then playing by some sort of tank with shield. Troubles cause only energy drain (I hate this stat in this game).
Skills from items greatly boost your character if they fit your build.

Last edited by Grohuf; 10-09-2015 at 08:08 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
build, commando, demolitionist, soldier, tank