Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Developer Section > Developer Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Should we expand auto-pickup to potions?
Hell yes! My gimpy fingers can't click as well as they used to! 525 52.55%
No, that seems like a bit too much automation and would diminish the reward of it. 390 39.04%
Can't say I really care. 84 8.41%
Voters: 999. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1  
Old 04-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

Default Auto Potion Pickup

We have auto-gold pickup... is this the next logical step?

I tend to be a bit reserved when it comes to the idea of auto-picking up items but potions are something that you ALWAYS want. Is this going too far or would it be a welcome relief from excess clicking?
Old 04-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Praetorian

It's good! I normally try to pick up pots as often as possible, but sometimes it gets tedious once you have like 80 pots... but then when I run out, I often think, damn, I'd still have some if I picked up the 30 pots that dropped from Typhon.

Also, how would that be managed in teams? Could you have them distributed or easily tradeable? Splittable stacks unlike in TQ where if you dropped a stack of 100 pots you felt like stabbing yourself? I just had a nightmare-day dream of some asswipe stealing all my pots when they drop in MP games...
Old 04-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Herald

I would really, really love it if there was a hotkey to toggle it. That way I could turn it on or off on-the-fly in case my inventory started getting flooded.

I'm all for automation and macroing as long as it still comes down to what you intend to do.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

I still would like to know more info about potions though.

Perhaps potions should scale and there should only be 1 sort? I know I don't want to pick up (and even filter out) lesser potions when I have a higher level character.
But if potions are usually worth picking up, I'd love to have an auto-pick up filter for it.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:47 PM
Counsel

I'm with Yerk. How are the potions going to work in this game?

But this would be a pretty nice feauture.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:52 PM
Supporter

Here's a question: If monsters were carrying potions, why aren't they using them? If they can't, why are they carrying them around in the first place - they're not carrying pine cones around for fun either.

Before saying more than that - I can't help saying more anyway, but still -, I'd need the answer to the question that the previous two posters made. In the case of the potion system not having any major changes (pot prices going up, cooldowns being longer and so forth, making them something that you'd think before "spamming"), I'd say it would be better if potions never dropped at all (except for higher grade potions from high grade containers) - you can get as many as you want from shops anyway - so basically a useful potion drop is nothing more than a gold drop in disguise - and picking up a lower grade potion is harmful - potentially even lethal, if the player didn't notice he ran out of the "real potions" and was running on fumes from the crappy ones.

Last edited by cel; 04-02-2010 at 12:00 AM.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

They're not using gold either
Nor are they using certain modifiers on their weapons, like "-% damage received from undead, "%damage to demons".
Old 04-01-2010, 11:58 PM
Supporter

Are the stacks going to be limited?

I didn't start picking up every single potion drop until Defiler came out for TQ and I didn't have to worry about inventory space.

I am also interested in how potions will be handled in GD. I have to say that the health management in DIII is one of the better features I am looking forward to. It will be nice for once not to worry about collecting and managing essentially "extra-HP-in-a-jar" in an RPG.

If the potions end up being the same as in TQ I would like to see a way to map stronger and weaker potions to different keys. That way I don't have to waste strong potions on normal mobs and save them for boss fights. And I would be for auto potion pickup if the system stayed relatively the same (but maybe larger stacks for lesser potions and shorter stacks for major potions).
Old 04-02-2010, 12:03 AM
Praetorian

Kirii: They've already confirmed the stacks were larger. I don't remember the exact size, but I want to say around 25 pots..
Old 04-02-2010, 12:04 AM
Lord Advocate

I thought it was actually 99? Regardless, I would only vote 'yes' if the stacks were very large and potion types not so numerous where the auto-pickup of them would become a hindrance.

Tags
energy, health, loot, potions