Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Classes, Skills and Builds

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 12-26-2018, 05:05 PM
Lord Advocate

Default [1.0.7.1] Expelliarmus! <7 min. Crucible Glad.150-170 0 greens facetank PRM Mage Hunter[c+][vid][g3]

*a picture of a famous ex-mage resorting to dual-wield autoattacking out of anguish and despair

Foreword

So someone in Russian Grim Dawn discord asked me if I ever tried making a Panetti's Replicating Missile build. I never did. In fact, I have never even touched Mage Hunters and PRM used to be below mediocre before last patch. So after quite a bit of testing and a lot of failed or sub-par specs I made a spec that is what I believe an ultimate PRM build - a very fast and consistent Crucible farmer that facetanks everything and utilizes only legendary and epic items, so it's basically dirt cheap to assemble compared to most builds and has only one drawback: its clear times really rely on your computer power (but even with my old PC it does sub 8 minutes runs easily so sweat free 3 runs in one blessings duration with 3 blessings + 1 banner is always easy).

The Build

<<<<<GRIMTOOLS>>>>>

Why Lightning PRM?

I have tested Elemental version (Ultos + Seekers) and it was just ok. Clearing times were average, kiting was required sometimes, and sometimes build could die. I have also tested Fire Version which turned out to be pretty miserable (at least in my hands). Stats with fire devotion route were always awful, proccing both Seekers and Meteor was a choir, survivability was shit. So since Invoker set doesn't allow for a cold version, I have came to my last resort. Suffocation, no breathing but this Lightning mage delivers hell of a beating (ugh, my guides are becoming lazier every time).

How is it compared to other casters?

It's very flashy and very easy to pilot. You don't need to kite ever, the only "dificulty" is not messing up ghoul/mirror/nulification rotation when you are cornered by 2 Reapers. This Mage Hunter is pretty relaxing and very forgiving spam-caster kind of build, you don't need to think about positioning or about skill rotation or about kiting.

But what of the era of melee/ranged builds?

This build is comparable in speed to some of the best ranged builds and some medium top-tier melee builds, like Belgothian BM/Infiltrator or Korba Trickster. It's definitely much cheaper and more accessible than those mentioned builds tho.

Gear

Getting resists capped without green gear is a pain on a Mage Hunter. OA/DA is also very painful to get to a decent level. Nevertheless, current gear set is optimal, imo. All resists are covered, physical resist is at okay-ish level for a caster with a Seal, belt was a last minute change from Scales of Beronath and it turned out to be pretty huge damage boost for this build (hard cap of important PRM nods + 3k OA on a build with 90% crit damage). New Iskandra relic is pretty great. Cindertouch gloves is what pushed this build into top-tier category (conversion and proc are pretty big deal).

Skills and Devotions

Devotions are pretty self-explanatory - standard lightning route + a little twist in a form of Bat devotion. You can swap Bat for Fiend for a tiny bit more damage, but I think Bat is what really pushes the build closer to immortality. Skill points distribution is standard, I chose Word of Pain as a proccer because we have a decent boost to its second nod that helps us a bit in tough melee encounters.

Gameplay

Stay in seals, cast debuffs and spam, use Nullification generously. Save mirror for the really rainy day. Place more Inquisitor Seals around to move freely and proc Bat more often - they have very low cooldown and live very long because of the mods on the wand. Only somewhat dangerous Nemesis combo is double Reapers. But just stay in seal and keep your cool, if they already procced your ghoul, don't use mirror untill Ghoul is up, after that, use mirror and after mirror use Nullification. During that time, you can kill dozen of Reapers.

Stats

Permanent buffs + Word of Renewal

Magical

Panetti's Replicating Missile damage breakdown

Videos

My 7:50 run on a slow PC

Mercymaker's 6:36 run

John Smith's 3x runs (older spec but still sub-7 minutes runs. Should be faster with the final spec)

Mad Queen 13 seconds kill (meh single target damage)

Lokkar fight (literally lost a track of him mid-fight)

In Conclusion

Thanks to John Smith (Arthur Petrov) and Firozo from Russian Grim Dawn discord (which is in fact Russian Twitch streamer Safarel's discord) for testing the build and discussing different ways PRM build can go.

Last edited by mad_lee; 12-27-2018 at 07:01 PM.
  This is the last staff post in this thread.   #2  
Old 12-26-2018, 05:14 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

I can't tell if you're my biggest fan or my biggest hater.

Whatever it is, this relationship seems abusive.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:19 PM
Lord Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zantai View Post
I can't tell if you're my biggest fan or my biggest hater.

Whatever it is, this relationship seems abusive.
1500+ hours invested in this relationship and you have never once bought me dinner or made me a compliment! Abusive indeed!
Old 12-26-2018, 05:25 PM
Campaigner

One of the best features is the 3-4 button (or so) build. The PRM numbers have improved quite a bit with the last couple of patches.

The tanking part comes primarily from the GD default Inquisitor skills, with PRM has 16? adcth with the helm - and Mirror/Maiven. So not a lot of moving parts.

So Nice! is my tldr.

(But I do get sick of seeing Inquisitor in most everything - even of late - although it is understandably the logical choice in the current mechanics/support... Deathmarked being the exception.)

Last edited by hammyhamster1; 12-26-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:40 PM
Lord Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammyhamster1 View Post
It's a nice 3-button (or so) build. The PRM numbers have improved quite a bit with the last couple of patches.

The tanking part comes primarily from Inquis, with PRM has 16? adcth with the helm and Mirror.

So Nice! is my tldr.
Thanks! It's a indeed a very simple and powerful build, no cooldown reduction or mirror chaining magic tricks, just hold mouse one (and cast seal + debuffs) untill everything dies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammyhamster1 View Post
(But I do get sick of seeing Inquisitor in most everything -even of late- although it is understandably the logical choice in the current mechanics... Deathmarked being the exception.)

Well, actually...
Old 12-26-2018, 05:57 PM
Praetorian

My only thing would be the weapon, isn't Arcanum sigilus or w/e its called better? It definitely is as far as survivability is concerned, but im not sure if its more or less damage than panetti r wand
Old 12-26-2018, 06:04 PM
Lord Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valinov View Post
My only thing would be the weapon, isn't Arcanum sigilus or w/e its called better? It definitely is as far as survivability is concerned, but im not sure if its more or less damage than panetti r wand
I think 22% weapon damage would be a bit overrated in this build. Survivability is already top-tier, this build doesn't die, you can get through Crucible without a single mirror cast pretty much, so little extra leech won't do anything. Damage-wise I am pretty sure Panetti Wand is better. And it's definitely adding quite a bit to surviviability too with its mod to Inquisitor Seal.

Added a Mad Queen video and Lokarr video to the op.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:40 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_lee View Post
So since Invoker set doesn't allow for a cold version, I have came to my last resort. Suffocation, no breathing but this Lightning mage delivers hell of a beating (ugh, my guides are becoming lazier every time).
yah if you could go ahead and never post again that'd be great
Old 12-26-2018, 06:59 PM
Praetorian

I'm pretty happy about this.

# of level 100 characters I have atm: 110
World First Slayer of Callagadra, World First Slayer of FG secret boss
World First all achievements unlocked, World First Last-Secret-Getter
Old 12-26-2018, 07:13 PM
Supporter

Nice build you've got here.

But for me personally this is not a caster, it's just an auto-attacker that scales of CS rather then AS. It just doesn't feel like caster, maybe it's my bias, but I like to mash buttons and feel the impact form skills.

Anyway sorry for my little rant, keep good builds coming.