Old 12-29-2017, 01:45 PM
Initiate

Default Why did you buy the old TQ engine?

Hey guys,

can anyone (preferably the devs) explain to me, why you bought the old game engine back instead of creating a new engine? (General answers like "It's a lot of work" not appreciated :O) )

Thank you
Greetings
Old 12-29-2017, 02:05 PM
Praetorian

You already answered your own question, it is a lot of work to create an engine... so why use the TQ one ? because they were familiar with it.

Initially this was a much smaller project by 1.5 people, so to get this done at all, they used an engine they already knew. If they had not had that engine, GD would not have ever happened.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

What mamba said.

"In an update provided to the Grim Dawn Kickstarter project on April 18, 2012, Crate revealed that the core of the company consists of only two full-time employees, with additional work being provided by former Iron Lore employees when needed.[8]"

Also:

"Several months later on August 19, 2008 Crate announced the acquisition of the Black Legion intellectual property that has been in development at Iron Lore Entertainment before that studio closed. Iron Lore had attracted significant interest from publishers while pitching Black Legion in late 2007 but had not been able to survive long enough to close a publishing deal. Crate had hoped to pick up on the momentum that Black Legion had gained but due to the U.S. economic recession publishers opted to pass on a large project from the studio.[4]

After nearly a year of silence, Crate announced on July 27, 2009 that the company had acquired licensing to use Iron Lore's Titan Quest game engine for their new action role-playing game project.[4] On January 21, 2010 Crate announced that the name of their new project would be Grim Dawn.[5][6][7]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crate_Entertainment

I suspect that Black Legion may have been being developed using the TQ engine and if they wanted to move forward with it that's what they needed to buy.

With limited funds and staff it's just easier to work with what you know rather than creating an entirely new engine from scratch or having to buy a much more expensive newer one.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:55 PM
Herald

Sadly unreal engine was not "free" back then
Old 12-29-2017, 04:43 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaron View Post
I do not think that creating new game with Unreal engines is very similar to making mod to existing game.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:52 PM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grohuf View Post
I do not think that creating new game with Unreal engines is very similar to making mod to existing game.
Not to mention that I played a lot of Marvel Heroes which used the Unreal Engine. It was far from ideal for an ARPG, at least in the hands of those developers.
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #7  
Old 12-29-2017, 05:14 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

Because the alternative was we don't exist.

Besides, what do you think most modern engines are? They're just iterations of engines created many years ago. Grim Dawn's engine is for all intents and purposes a new engine at this point with all of the tech changes we had made to modernize it.
Old 12-29-2017, 05:45 PM
Initiate

I am really amazed what you guys at crate made out of this engine and the game you created. I think every engine is setting restictions to the progress in game development. I just hope that you guys are still in love with what you made out of this engine and that it is still fun to work with it.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:19 PM
Initiate

To be honest: Yes, I thought every new engine was built from scratch. I didn't know that they're just iterations of older ones.

Thank you for your reply(ies)!
Old 01-09-2018, 04:47 PM
Ascendant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaron View Post
Is unreal even good for isometric perspective games? I was told Unity was the way to go for Isometric games

Also, even for Grim Dawn II it seems (unless I am mistaken) they plan to update the existing engine rather than make a new one. Which kinda makes sense since it already does what they want it to. I know of one or two game RPGs that tanked due to custom engines but they're too obscure, the most prominent example that comes to mind would be PoE. From what I've been told their engine still causes a lot of problems

--------
Useful mods-
Spoiler!

Tags
engine