Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Early Access > Ideas and Feedback

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 05-08-2012, 01:26 PM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbringer View Post
@Skellt

It happened several times that I wanted to start Steam offline and it didn't want to start like that because it wanted to go online to update stuff, only that I had no connection at that time. So basically I had no offline working. I had to wait few days to come back where there was connection, start for a couple of seconds online and then I could use offline... but it was too late, Steam took the shame. I will give it a second chance after I try again to forbid any kind of automatic updates, but I wouldn't bet my life this will not happen again.
Regarding this. You are correct in that Steam would not start correctly when without internet. It used to be that to go into offline mode, one had to be online and tell steam to restart via offline mode (see edit). I've been caught out myself before... However, I am speaking in past tense in my last sentence. Having just tried it now by pulling the network cable out from my PC (with steam not active in the background, the process shut down) I was in fact able to start steam in offline mode. It comes up with a box where the option to start in offline mode is made available.

Secondly, the auto update is a little wonky when I've used it. Sometimes the games just ignore it and will continue to update anyway. Team Fortress 2 has been a prime candidate, though I suspect it might be due to updates to the source engine perhaps. It is easy enough to fix however, simply pause the download and it remains paused, no matter how many times you log in and out of steam. It just sits there ready to re-download when you require.

Of course, part of the trouble with the updates via Steam is that it looks for variations in the files. So even if a few lines of code were added or altered in a multi-gigabyte file, it will have to redownload the full file. It is one of those annoying features. Imagine my annoyance when, with my piddly 10GB per month download limit, I was trying to play Section 8: Prejudice. I manage to successfully get it downloaded. Then next day it ends up needing another multi-gigabyte download. I had to wait until the end of the next month to get the update. Frustrating as anything.

For what its worth, I don't see Steam as some sort of savior of gaming. In fact, I grow very concerned about their market share. But it isn't some sort of evil application that burns puppies, pillages villages and rejects good games (while letting questionable shit get through). Actually, it does the latter, but that is for another time.

*Edit: Just to add regarding steam offline mode. Once in offline mode, a person could then remain in offline mode until they chose to go online. When I knew I'd be without internet, I'd have to keep in mind that I needed to restart in offline. That would be all I had to do for the few weeks without internet I'd endure. However, this is no longer necessary.

Last edited by Josho; 05-08-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:26 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbringer View Post
@Skellt

It happened several times that I wanted to start Steam offline and it didn't want to start like that because it wanted to go online to update stuff, only that I had no connection at that time. So basically I had no offline working. I had to wait few days to come back where there was connection, start for a couple of seconds online and then I could use offline... but it was too late, Steam took the shame. I will give it a second chance after I try again to forbid any kind of automatic updates, but I wouldn't bet my life this will not happen again.

As for the second point, I always prefer not having to take back what is mine... today's rights aren't what they used to be... but people seem to be ok with that. I guess old people die for a reason... or go to GOG...
hah thats why :P i didnt mean Offline mode, i meant offline, as in go in the folder and open the shortcut yourself, just as you would with any other game, you don't need to go through steam with 95% of the games that way

Its in your steam folder, i can give you path tonight..

Thats why i wanted to clear up things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josho View Post
*Edit: Just to add regarding steam offline mode. Once in offline mode, a person could then remain in offline mode until they chose to go online. When I knew I'd be without internet, I'd have to keep in mind that I needed to restart in offline. That would be all I had to do for the few weeks without internet I'd endure. However, this is no longer necessary.
And as stated above, you dont even need to be in offline mode :P

And all i'm saying is, Steam is nearly the only way to get PC games here in QC.. so i can only assume that it is coming for you guys as well,

And the market share depends really on what games you have

For instance, Grim Dawn, 30% is alot yes, but its also insane exposure.

But to Lets say Arkham City, Skyrim and whatnot, its just taking their profit since everyone would buy regardless.

And as merdierra stated. Steam is often not as worse as retailers.

So digital distribution is the future imo, and we'll eventually move to that, with a few rare cases of hey here is a boxed collector edition kind of thing.
So instead of downloading in 70 different places, i myself prefer to download directly from steam

Steam Username : Skellt

Last edited by Skellt; 05-08-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:23 PM
Speaker

Love being able to join my friends games from within steam. Makes gaming with others that much easier.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:16 AM
Initiate

There should be diversity and choice. There should be a version of the steam and not steam.
I am personally not too keen on steam and I prefer playing on the DVD.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skellt View Post
And as stated above, you dont even need to be in offline mode :P
I know... However 95% is quite generous. Some games will launch without looking for steam, most games (or the majority I tried) will insist on Steam launching in, as a bare minimum, in offline mode which is all I had available. I think it depends on how what the executable file calls upon before it will load.

I just tried by disconnecting my ethernet cable and launching a myriad of exe files associated with a number of my games on steam. So for a purist that were to buy a game from Steam, then uninstall Steam to remove DRM from their system, I think it is pot luck as to whether they can launch without steam. Of course, if someone went to that sort of extreme, then what is the point of obtaining a game by that method

I think you and I are saying the same thing, just in different ways. For what its worth, I haven't bought a game from a physical store in a long time now
Old 05-09-2012, 11:49 PM
Supporter

I loved Titan Quest too much . I bought too copies main game and expansion . I saw Torchlight II pre-order . Last minute I saw it have a DRM (One time activation) And this killing me . I changed my plan and give money to Grim Dawn . Now I am happy . It looks like TQ too Finally yeah I want this game totally DRM-free
Old 05-10-2012, 07:11 PM
Speaker

Ok I pledged for 40. That's in memory of TQ, and for GD will be the true successor of the first Diablo.
I hope I won't be disappointed by a missing feature in the non-Steam game.

Last edited by Vifarc; 05-17-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:50 AM
Supporter

Personally I want this game to be like TQ /IT.. Load it from a disc / exe file and run it .... Not to have to run it through a 3rd party..

If it goes through Steam I shall no longer support it.

Grim Dawn.. like TQ/IT is the last of the unique games...

Keep it that way please.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:53 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa View Post
If it goes through Steam I shall no longer support it.

Grim Dawn.. like TQ/IT is the last of the unique games...
Just FYI - TQ/IT goes through Steam as well. I don't see any reasons for not "allowing" GD to go various ways and terrorize developers like that. I prefer Steam but I absolutely don't mind the game selling on disks or direct digital download. Imagine every one of us would demand his/her own exclusive distribution way treatening to stop support the game if developers dare to add any "not liked" one.
OR, if I get you wrong and you just wanted more distribution ways that just Steam... well, sorry then But if you want people to get you correct you should add a simple word "only" to your sentence. "If it goes through Steam only" makes a big difference with what you said
Old 05-16-2012, 04:30 AM
Supporter

It's as simple as this if you want it on steam put in the code and or buy it from steam? If you don't want it on steam buy it directly from Grim Dawn website, problem solved? Really not sure why people think it's mandatory to be on steam, it should just be an added bonus for those (like me) who enjoy steam.

Tags
achievements, distribution, steam