Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > Totally Random

Notices

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 05-04-2012, 02:09 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by garkham View Post
In 10 years, if everything is digital, I won't buy any game anymore. For me equation is : stuff = buy, digital = piracy. I do not buy wind. Unless biiig exception as Grim Dawn.
Hehe, with me it is the opposite, if it isn't on Steam I *might* buy a physical copy, but more than likely I simply won't bother getting / playing it. Just way more convenient and taking up less space too

Last edited by mamba; 05-04-2012 at 02:15 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:40 AM
Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamba View Post
Just way more convenient and taking up less space too
Yeah it suck to have to enter the CD/DVD every time you want to play. Forcing you to get a no-cd crack. That's why steam is so successful, if you want something, you can play it in with only few mouse clicks.

I can say I will often play my boxed editions more than my digital editions when I'm bored, because a box between 10 others stands out way more than an icon in an ocean (>250...).
Old 05-04-2012, 10:11 AM
Speaker

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
Saying that it is okay to pirate a digital version of people's work is just a self-serving justification to ease your conscience. Once you install the game on your computer, there is no difference where it came from, you're still playing the same game.
Thanks medierra for your point of view. I don't try to justify myself nor saying it's okay to pirate. But what I feel inside is that for games (as for CDs and movies) is that it lacks something when I have them digitally only. And this lack prevents for wanting to spend money for them, unless rare exceptions such as Grim Dawn. This feeling won't disappear with the evolution of the society, because I'm a "collector" and need those physical pieces of shit on bookshelves.

I own probably 600 games, 40 CDs and 3 movies - physically. I love going to the cinema or concerts too, it's kind of a digital pleasure ; but when it comes to have it permanently home, I need something outside my hard-drive. It's the same when I play.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:53 PM
Champion

Haha poor you Abel, it took me 1h to download the whole game.

But yeah, i always ended up cracking my cd games to play without cd because it was less of a hassle to go get the cd and then put it in, put the other in its box, go store it...

The era of digital is awsome to me, places where internet lacks, yes are at a loss currently but hey can you remember 20 years ago when playing a 8 bit game was a boner?
Except some really really rare cases, internet will soon be everywhere

Steam Username : Skellt
Old 05-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skellt View Post
Except some really really rare cases, internet will soon be everywhere
Hot bread?
Old 05-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Supporter

Yeah, it really sucks for me. Needles to say online games give me troubles hahaha. So for me, at least now physical is way better :-P

We are that much closer now.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:07 PM
Speaker

I don't like sport too, but standing up, going to store a game and taking another. I can still handle. And for a long time.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:23 AM
Herald

I personally prefer a physical copy of all my games.
Maybe I am a hoarder at heart...or maybe I'm just anal that way.
But the point I really wanted to make is that its good to have options.
Both forms of media can be accommodated...that way those of you who like Digital can still download everything you want, and people like myself can still buy a physical copy.
It is going to be a sad day when one version is forced.

Keep in mind that not everyone has good access to the Internet.
I myself live in a bad area of Southern California (near the Mexican border) that has crappy Internet services. There is a better service available, but I cannot afford it, so I put up with the crummy service that I do get, even though I lose connection multiple times throughout the day.
It is the reason why I won't be getting Diablo 3. After all, what is the point of buying a game that I can't play..?

But I enjoy to collect favorite pieces of software, whether they be a video-game, music cd, or movie on dvd or blu-ray. It is like my little treasure.
BTW
I must have like 4 or 5 copies of Titan quest on dvd lying around.

Would love to add Grim Dawn to my collection.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:11 AM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albedoshin View Post
The Highest one i have found to date is only 10GB per month and then anything over that will be extra money to the bill. Downloading Skyrim puts me over my cap in one day, then i have to wait a whole month for my next download or just bite the bullet and pay a hugh bill. Thats one of the problems i have with the digital over physical.
Holy crap you guys have bandwidth limits? I pay $59 for unlimited bandwidth at 20/10 speeds (FTTP)....not too bad I guess, there's better out there. And I thought AT&T was outlandish for imposing a 250GB limit! I mean, if it's a physical limitation for the ISP to provide unlimited bandwidth, ok, but I get the feeling they just enjoy the extra $$...

Now, on topic, I personally love digital downloads. It's convenient, and I always have it for when I switch PC's, or want to manage the space on my HDD it's really easy to swap games out. I do, however, still have my old boxed versions of all the old Black Isle/Interplay (my favorite company ) games and D2/Starcraft

Last edited by jmb42088; 05-05-2012 at 04:19 AM. Reason: added quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Champion

yep most of the ISP offer roughly 30 to 100 gb limit.

sometimes 250 through DSL

and then some unlimited plans with buisnesses, you can get them for your house but still

Steam Username : Skellt

Tags
distribution