Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > News In Gaming

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Lord Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnmck View Post
@ Renevent
I am curious to know what your thoughts are regarding this game as you play more & more of it.
& Thanks for the insights.
No problem

Ok so now about 10-11 hours into the game and about to leave the 3rd island and I *think* I'm also finally about to get a ship. So far I'm really enjoying the game. I have to admit that enjoyment is peppered with a whole lot of frustration though lol. The combat can be infuriating at times, but I have to admit it's getting much easier.

Updating your stats does very little it seems for combat (aside from maybe hit % for guns), or at least it's hard to 'feel' the improvements. With that said, the last few hours of the game I've been dumping tons of gold into various trainers and since then I've definitely become more powerful. With some melee upgrades fighting with a sword the frustration is much lower, though I'll admit occasionally even animal enemies remain frustrating at times.

I just got a rifle (sided with the inquisition) and they are pretty fun to use. It doesn't make things that much easier, but at least it adds a bit to the variety of combat.

The best thing about the game is definitely the exploration aspect. Going through the jungles, beaches, caves, and ancient temples is very fun. Feels a bit like Indiana Jones! You find treasure maps (yes, X marks the spot), hints to legendary treasures and weapons, and I really just enjoy exploring the world of Risen 2.

While I am not a fan of the pirate setting I have to admit I am enjoying the way it's presented in Risen 2. It's actually the first RPG I've played that I don't feel bad for being a dirty rotten scoundrel...I am a pirate after all!

Anyways that's pretty much all I can think of for now, and if you have any specific questions just let me know I would be more than happy to answer them.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:38 AM
Supporter

I also am about 11 hours in. Just got my own ship and started my crew. The atmosphere/combat/quests and pretty much everything reminds me perfectly of Risen 1, frustrations and all. I AM LOVING IT! I put 60 hours into one play through of Risen 1 and I think I will put as much or more into this one. Reviews and some official forum guys are claiming to "finish" the game in 10 to 30 hours but I think they are really missing the magic of a PB game.

With my ship now I can go back and visit Tacarigua and explore everything I missed.

Renevent

(Quest spoilers)
How did you sabotage the cannons? I just had to start a fight with the guard and knock him out. Seemed like the least elegant way but I couldn't think of anything else. I figure there is a better way to do it if you learn voodoo.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:47 PM
Lord Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirii View Post
I also am about 11 hours in. Just got my own ship and started my crew. The atmosphere/combat/quests and pretty much everything reminds me perfectly of Risen 1, frustrations and all. I AM LOVING IT! I put 60 hours into one play through of Risen 1 and I think I will put as much or more into this one. Reviews and some official forum guys are claiming to "finish" the game in 10 to 30 hours but I think they are really missing the magic of a PB game.

With my ship now I can go back and visit Tacarigua and explore everything I missed.

Renevent

(Quest spoilers)
How did you sabotage the cannons? I just had to start a fight with the guard and knock him out. Seemed like the least elegant way but I couldn't think of anything else. I figure there is a better way to do it if you learn voodoo.
Yeah I don't see how anyone can beat this game in 10 hours unless they seriously ignore everything in the game and just follow the main quest as fast as they can. I'm like 17 hours in and not anywhere near the end as far as I can tell. I just got to a whole new island and barely scratched the surface there, and from what I understand there's like 2-3 more islands I haven't even seen yet.

That quest is probably the most poorly designed quest in the game. I tried everything I could think of, coming back at all hours of the day, talking to everyone, ect...he just wouldn't move. The best I could do was come in the evening so that at least the dude from the warehouse was gone. Then I would make sure no guards were passing by and then beat up the dude by the ammo room and disable the cannons like that.

Was so frustrating trying to finish that quest, and in the end the only solution I can find was so inelegant. I have no idea if voodoo would help in this situation, maybe it does.

Last edited by Renevent; 05-03-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:25 PM
Supporter

Did some pure exploring and grinding last night. All the darn chests I find have too high of a lockpicking skill and I can't mark them on my map. One of the few drawbacks (in my eyes) of a console friendly UI.

So I read that if your lockpicking is high enough you could break into the small shack behind the cannon guard and light the explosives. That will knock him out and the cannons.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:14 AM
Lord Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirii View Post
Did some pure exploring and grinding last night. All the darn chests I find have too high of a lockpicking skill and I can't mark them on my map. One of the few drawbacks (in my eyes) of a console friendly UI.
I actually did get in the shack and looted the bombs, but didn't think to use them like that. I figured the guard would still attack me. Maybe that is the solution though!

Anyways TOTALLY agree with you about not being able to mark things on the map.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:09 AM
Herald

Since I lack the money to get this, I've been watching walkthrough videos on youtube, and I'm losing interest in this game the more I see it.
It seems very unpolished. For example, the guy I was watching killed a turkey and picked up chicken meat. There is a ton of pop-in...and the animations seem a bit weird at times, as well as some other little problems.
While little things, combined they are turning me off to this game.
granted though, it is just video, and I'm sure that actually playing is different, but so far I am not liking what I am seeing.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:56 PM
Lord Advocate

I'm a beast in combat now!

Ok, not really but basically I'm doing pretty damn well now. Nothing more to really add other than I am still enjoying the game a lot. I also was able to craft my first legendary weapon, which maybe is why things are easier now heh.

I think thats part of the charm of PB's games...you start out ripping your hair out but when you eventually overcome or find that sweet item it's all worth it.

Last edited by Renevent; 05-04-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:47 PM
Speaker

OH heck... don't convince me to purchase yet another game
Old 05-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Lord Advocate

Just beat the game...Steam says it took me 29 hours to do so not bad I think

Like all Gothic/Risen games the journey is definitely more important than the destination. I did pretty much damn near every quest, found almost all the legendary weapons and items, and think I did well overall.

Anyways thoroughly enjoyed the game blemishes and all.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renevent View Post
Just beat the game...Steam says it took me 29 hours to do so not bad I think

Like all Gothic/Risen games the journey is definitely more important than the destination. I did pretty much damn near every quest, found almost all the legendary weapons and items, and think I did well overall.

Anyways thoroughly enjoyed the game blemishes and all.
Excellent, thanks for your vote on it. I think I will have to indulge myself
Closed Thread