Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > What Else Are You Playing?

Notices

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 04-30-2012, 02:39 PM
Speaker

Well, there will be tinkering with skills / builds, but not in a classic, "mechanical" way of simply buying the skills that are currently in fashion or going by a cheat sheet with the current "best build" from the forum.

The ability to "reskill" anytime and anywhere and that they are more closely tied to certain items / magical effects / whatever, creates a more dynamic type of tinkering where you can work on your build, adapting it to ingame situations and the items you find.

To me it looks as if that is the plan.
If it works in the actual game? Your guess is as good as mine.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:45 PM
Supporter

Talking

Oh, it works just fine. Granted, you only get to play a very small part of the game in the beta but over the 100's of hours i played the beta i was still switching my skills left and right to try and find what worked well with what skill and what rune to use. As for switching skills on the fly, once you hit Inferno at lv 60, when you switch your skills you loose a Magic Find bonus that you build up from killing specials so it kind of forces you not to change so you can get better loot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
Well, there will be tinkering with skills / builds, but not in a classic, "mechanical" way of simply buying the skills that are currently in fashion or going by a cheat sheet with the current "best build" from the forum.

The ability to "reskill" anytime and anywhere and that they are more closely tied to certain items / magical effects / whatever, creates a more dynamic type of tinkering where you can work on your build, adapting it to ingame situations and the items you find.

To me it looks as if that is the plan.
If it works in the actual game? Your guess is as good as mine.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:25 PM
Supporter

I have to admit that I didn't find much reason for experimenting in the beta. There wasn't really any difficulty that warranted experimentation to find the build that worked for the way I play. I think later on in the game this will be a factor though.

I'd still be surprised if I end up thinking this switching between skills is progress over regular skill trees. I know skill trees had problems but it still feels like Blizzard discarded too much instead of fixing it. I don't really think the answer becomes aparent until level 60 and the difficulty is ramped up. I hope it works, otherwise it'll be a great game but not one that I'll spend as much time on as D2.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:34 PM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albedoshin View Post
As for switching skills on the fly, once you hit Inferno at lv 60, when you switch your skills you loose a Magic Find bonus that you build up from killing specials so it kind of forces you not to change so you can get better loot.
Well, one player in the party is the Magic Find Bitch™.
He is there only to provide a maximum of (average) MF to the party and is not allowed to switch skills.
The others are geared to kill stuff instead.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:38 PM
Herald

I don't see the difference between having one player committing to magic find instead of everyone just wearing a few pieces to reach the same average. Either way, you are forfeiting a portion of your damage and I don't think doing it one way or the other will be more efficient.

I think it's an okay change. It makes the issue of MF in parties less black and white and encourages you to find gear with a good mix of the stats you want rather than minmaxing.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:01 PM
Supporter

During the open beta, my main toon ended up with four (maybe five, i can't remember) rares on her that had MF on them. All of them were off SK or champ packs, except one that fell out of one of those loose stones. I'm guessing that higher level unique items and set pieces will have bigger tradeoffs between MF and killing power, but in that short and (probably abnormal) example i found that compromise wasn't necessary, at least during the SK runs lol.

Guess we'll see the best MF/high end's in the rmah for those early windforce prices... =]

As far as the easy respecs, i personally don't mind it in d3. sure, we're going to lose some of the individuality of our toons, but to be honest that was equipment driven in d2 anyways. Like anyone who's played d2 for a while remembers, you'd find some epic gear and base your next build on the requisite str/dex/or int specs for that item, and dump the rest into vit. When you found the next one after that, rinse/repeat. Reciprocal hell cows with you and your buddies allowed for the acceleration.

D3 just streamlines that process. Hopefully they make up for some of the loss in hell cows camaraderie with an inferno difficulty level so high that you'll only want to play with battle-tested friends that you trust to be watching out for your health bar too.

Is D3's easy respec system better? My personal opinion is that it's just different. I prefer a penalty for respeccing and I liked TQ's rapidly increasing gold requirement. So for toons that one can carefully build and craft, grim dawn + TL2 + the BG remake will be there to really enjoy. Of all of these games, grim dawn and its add-ons are the ones i'm most excited about.

But until then, it'll be D3 in a fortnight. If anyone else from here is playing and wants to do some runs, hit me up on a PM. I'd be glad to team up with fellow GD'ers, where we can come back to GD later on its release.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:21 PM
Supporter

I don't think we will see alot of people with the same skill base with the free respects since there is soo many different combinations with skills, runes, passives and skill boosting items. although, I don't see it lasting as long as D2 but long enough for GD to hit alpha/beta/retail :-)
Old 05-01-2012, 12:03 AM
Champion

I in fact think we'll see more spec than in D2 regardless of the ''free respec'' for the sole reason that well there are thousands of skill combination.. and more importantly i'll use more than bonespear, maledict and corpse explode at once.. which is MORE than enough to satisfy my needs

Steam Username : Skellt
Old 05-01-2012, 02:37 AM
Supporter

So uh, who is going to buy Diablo 3?
Old 05-01-2012, 03:52 AM
Herald

Already got mine preordered along with Grim Dawn and Torchlight2. Looking forward to much arpg goodness this year and beyond.

Tags
diablo, difficulty