Old 04-12-2012, 05:33 PM
Praetorian

Oh man, Keyrock LOL
Old 04-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Lord Advocate

This was my first one

Old 04-12-2012, 06:47 PM
Campaigner

I wasn't advocating their return, merely that I kinda missed them.

It should be pointed out that those don't really work so well in the digital information age of Internets. Who can't look up "answer x" to "question y" and have it spoonfed to them inside of 30 seconds?

I understand the same problem exists with CD-keys. I always wondered if there wasn't a way to have the CD key required for an install be specific to that disk and no other, so that you can't just swap a CD-key around. You either have the key for YOUR disc, or you don't have a key at all. That can't be any LESS effective than the other copyright measures being taken, and its a hell of a lot less hastle to your legitimate customers.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:12 AM
Herald

Does anyone know what the first game was to use a code wheel? I think I have Renevent's beat as one of my favorites games from the past, Legacy of the Ancients, had one and released in 1987. Electronic Arts published that game, and it goes to show that they strive to be at the forefront of DRM schemes... I did also have all the gold box games with codewheels, as well as the Monkey Island games and probably some others I am forgetting.

I read that the Leisure Suit Larry series (I never got into these) had a question and answer system about adult oriented subjects to prove the player was old enough to play the game. Ha, I bet this worked pretty well back in the day. The Internet defeats the purpose of any of these old DRM schemes though.

Anyone know which game was the first to implement the code wheel?
Old 04-14-2012, 05:42 AM
Campaigner

My parents let my play Leisure Suit Larry when i was like 10, mum just answered all the questions for me and then left me to my own devices. lol.

Legendary Supporter upgraded to Boxed Deluxe Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisprinzessin View Post
I play for grass of course!
Old 04-14-2012, 10:54 AM
Lord Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kardiophylax View Post
Does anyone know what the first game was to use a code wheel? I think I have Renevent's beat as one of my favorites games from the past, Legacy of the Ancients, had one and released in 1987. Electronic Arts published that game, and it goes to show that they strive to be at the forefront of DRM schemes... I did also have all the gold box games with codewheels, as well as the Monkey Island games and probably some others I am forgetting.

I read that the Leisure Suit Larry series (I never got into these) had a question and answer system about adult oriented subjects to prove the player was old enough to play the game. Ha, I bet this worked pretty well back in the day. The Internet defeats the purpose of any of these old DRM schemes though.

Anyone know which game was the first to implement the code wheel?
I don't which game had the first code wheel but I sure as hell remember LSL1's adult question system lol. It was pretty funny actually...effective...sorta. I think I was 8 or 9 years old at the time and it usually took me 3-4 tries to pass it at first, and eventually I started to remember the answers.

Anyways, you can take the test here:

http://www.allowe.com/Larry/1questions.htm

(below the answer grid)
Old 04-14-2012, 02:22 PM
Champion

Yeah, the Leisure Suit Larry age verification question and answer system was pretty cool, easy to get past with a bit of patience, but cool nonetheless.

Currently Playing: Bayonetta
Old 04-27-2012, 10:37 AM
Supporter

hey I remembered playing Quarantine (road warrior maybe in the usa). To start the game you had to give an answer concerning the impact speed of a pedestrian was like your kind of wheels! Grand Prix had also specific questions.

There is only one reason for which i like gfwl is that it combines my xbox gamerscore but for the rest it sucks bigtime , and even then i sort of stopped following my achievements
Old 05-05-2012, 12:22 AM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renevent View Post
This was my first one

lol, sorry for the tiny thread necro bump but this picture made me think of the booklet that came with the Monty Python Flying Circus pc game where you had to pass a cheese quiz to start the game (enter the cheeses from random pages of the manual)
Old 05-08-2012, 04:18 AM
Initiate

I used GFWL once, it prevented me from playing the game, been boycotting that service since. Sad thing is, it was Dawn of war 2 i tried to play
Closed Thread