Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Developer Section > Development Updates

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 06-27-2017, 12:04 PM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDQUINT View Post
is really really really necessary

Sensei vs. Sensei
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #72  
Old 06-27-2017, 01:22 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yawgmoth View Post
The word I think you were looking for here is "exude" unless the Blight Fiend digs up poison from the ground around him. Maybe he does, I don't know!
Oops, you are correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni das Alagoas View Post
Is this armour going to be included in the dlc?
It is one of the Necromancer Legendary sets.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:57 PM
Supporter

Post Not a Necromancer, just a mage with familiar

It never ceases to surprise me how averse developers have become to the staples of necromancer classes.
It is a 'mob' class, the idea behind all necromancer classes is raising minions.
I know you don't like the idea of generating thousands of undead to match the hundred lot groups you have tentatively play balanced; but 2-3 'pets' with some of them even having a time out just doesn't really cut it.
I have explained it before a pet that times out is a glorified magic missile doing damage over time (DoT).
I don't mind that the game tries to ignore pets; I really don't; but the lack of stack-able summons for a necromancer is a bit of a deal breaker.
There's lots of ways to keep a horde manageable, from unit limits per level (to balance effective power), a return penalty (on health and damage retained), requiring upkeep, and component necromancy (requiring corpse dust per level of mob).
Why do you even want to take what is the FUN of a necromancer class out of a Necromancer class for?
To make another generic mage equivalent?
The problem is that when you care too much about balance a product loses it's diversity and without diversity stagnates into demise.

Take Starcraft as an example; vastly different factions all carefully thought out working in an equalization of imbalance.
It has stood the test of time.

Symmetrical balance is lazy balance. it's the idea that you'll allow a character to level, but only if the threat faced levels equally meaning a character has essentially the exact same experience playing whether he levels or not.
If you think THAT is interesting, you must have a lot of cardboard box fans to keep your product afloat.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:13 PM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickqt View Post
Uh... wrong forum buddy, D3 is beyond dead of a game, and just waiting for the next one as it was a complete wash as far as a game, no content or classes they give it could ever fix the actual issues, so nope not excited for it. I am however, excited for Grim Dawn's expac, even if I very much so dislike pet classes, hopefully I can find a couple builds that are not so pet reliant..
Soz bit off topic
That's the thing with grim dawn isn't it; it's classes seem to be so narrowly defined if your not focused on the one of two focuses it either is something you want/don't; if you need one & not the other then congrats you only get half a class welcome to compromised builds.
Getting back to topic
Perhaps the expansions needs to break up those focuses a bit so with a necromancer you could have a spell based death dealer, a blighter or a raiser; instead of some compromised vision that has none of the strengths of any of those routes.
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #75  
Old 06-27-2017, 03:16 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiousintahl View Post
It never ceases to surprise me how averse developers have become to the staples of necromancer classes.
It is a 'mob' class, the idea behind all necromancer classes is raising minions.
I know you don't like the idea of generating thousands of undead to match the hundred lot groups you have tentatively play balanced; but 2-3 'pets' with some of them even having a time out just doesn't really cut it.
I have explained it before a pet that times out is a glorified magic missile doing damage over time (DoT).
I don't mind that the game tries to ignore pets; I really don't; but the lack of stack-able summons for a necromancer is a bit of a deal breaker.
There's lots of ways to keep a horde manageable, from unit limits per level (to balance effective power), a return penalty (on health and damage retained), requiring upkeep, and component necromancy (requiring corpse dust per level of mob).
Why do you even want to take what is the FUN of a necromancer class out of a Necromancer class for?
To make another generic mage equivalent?
The problem is that when you care too much about balance a product loses it's diversity and without diversity stagnates into demise.

Take Starcraft as an example; vastly different factions all carefully thought out working in an equalization of imbalance.
It has stood the test of time.

Symmetrical balance is lazy balance. it's the idea that you'll allow a character to level, but only if the threat faced levels equally meaning a character has essentially the exact same experience playing whether he levels or not.
If you think THAT is interesting, you must have a lot of cardboard box fans to keep your product afloat.
Last I checked 9 skeletons (or more with item modifiers) + up to 3 Blight Fiends and a Wraith, on top of any pets from items and your second mastery is More than 2-3.

Even in the first preview of the Necromancer, he had 9 skeletons around him.

I don't know how you associate symmetrical balance with Grim Dawn.

Quote:
Soz bit off topic
That's the thing with grim dawn isn't it; it's classes seem to be so narrowly defined if your not focused on the one of two focuses it either is something you want/don't; if you need one & not the other then congrats you only get half a class welcome to compromised builds.
Think opinions will differ on that.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:11 PM
Supporter

The original post does refer to blight fiends in the plural but doesn't say anything about having up to 3 of them out at once.

Wow, you can really have 3 of them out at once? Is that at higher skill levels or something? (the pictured tooltip doesn't mention a multiple summon limit). Actually, with transmuter? If so, I hope it isn't too hard to have all 3 up.

I'll have to ditch my conjurer for a necromancer if that's the case, if only for the hilarity of having three of those huge fat asses clogging up the screen at once.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:36 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
I know you don't like the idea of generating thousands of undead to match the hundred lot groups you have tentatively play balanced;
I don't think the engine would be fond of you having 100s of minions.... and just because one game had that does not mean that this is what every Necromancer has to have

You can have about 12-15 summons or so I believe, so not 2-3 like you claim. This OP does not cover all skills after all.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:54 PM
Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamba View Post
I don't think the engine would be fond of you having 100s of minions.... and just because one game had that does not mean that this is what every Necromancer has to have

You can have about 12-15 summons or so I believe, so not 2-3 like you claim. This OP does not cover all skills after all.
If you mean 12-15 from the Necromancer class itself that's huge running currently on a conjurer you can reach that amount (2 class + item) as they each have 2 and then you have Revenant, Yeti one with your weapon and couple of Proc (mostly on Atk there is that one thing that can bring up to 6 Pet by itself was it a Relic?)

If Necro can bring up 12 Summon and then you add Yeti - Revenant - Manticore - Briathorn + any "on-hit" you could get over 20 on the screen It would take massive space!
Old 06-27-2017, 05:51 PM
Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zantai View Post
Oops, you are correct.

It is one of the Necromancer Legendary sets.
Thanks for answering.
I'm new to the game and I bought it mainly because I love necromancy in games. Is it easy to get these legendary sets?
Old 06-27-2017, 05:56 PM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni das Alagoas View Post
Thanks for answering.

I'm new to the game and I bought it mainly because I love necromancy in games. Is it easy to get these legendary sets?

Short answer : No

Long answer : Be ready to farm crucible/ultimate campaign a lot. If you want a particular set beforeyou drop it you can always trade. There is a specific thread for it here in this forum.

Tags
grim misadventure