Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Ideas and Feedback

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 12:59 PM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellucid View Post
So the idea that melee creatures can do more than just hitting you with the same basic shit as other melee creatures is somehow surprising to you? What the fuck am I reading.

Of all those creatures I mentioned, I can easily come up with multiple different ways to make them more threatening vs certain builds.
Scavengers apply heavy bleed stacks on you. Making them more threatening against people with low bleed resist.
Harpies attack faster with using their talons/claws as pseudo dual blades which deal heavy pierce damage.
Skeletal Warriors could have a blade arc-like attack and Warcry.

This is all easy shit to think up.

I can still bundle up every monster into the game into like 4-5 groups and they wouldn't be any different from each other, other than looks.
Those ideas? That's just making them do more of what they already DO. More bleed damage, more AS and pierce damage. The Blade Arc is technically different... Yet as has been pointed out to you, Skeletons already do different things as is, so that's not at all reasonable.

You're making it very clear. You don't like the variety we have, and you want more damage done.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:07 PM
Praetorian

Adding new attacks to enemies to increase variety is not going to change a thing. I have several builds who kill trash mobs and most heroes in a couple seconds, while they can't even touch them. My BWC Sorcerer literally dispatches groups of enemies by just walking through them while they can't even touch him because they die so fast.

I'm all for more enemy variety when it comes to their attacks, but it's not going to change a thing because they die ridiculously fast. And increasing their health will not make things better, it will the game just a slog to go through.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:58 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Dragon View Post
I hoped that it would come down to insults at least. Boring.

You rang? Just kidding

But you're right, it is boring. The whole "difficulty is non existent" thing is way too subjective tho for me to care overmuch about arguing over something that varies wildly from person to person.

Plus this kind of stuff is part of the reason having modding as an option is a good thing. Don't like Crate's view/implementation of something? There's mods for that. Don't like any current mods? There's the tools, a guide to get you up and running, and a knowledgeable community of modders to provide insight and assistance. Make the game more in your image then.

Anyway, I need some coffee.

Last edited by powbam; 05-07-2017 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:18 PM
Herald

Talking

Mods are cheating. Mods are not legit. Mods sucked 100s of additional hours of play time from my life and 100s more in dev. Stay away from DAIL. Grimarillion is good for additional challenge.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:22 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathanious View Post
Mods are cheating. Mods are not legit. Mods sucked 100s of additional hours of play time from my life and 100s more in dev. Stay away from DAIL. Grimarillion is good for additional challenge.

Wait! Don't stop there, Kathanious! Tell us how you really feel.

For realzies
Old 05-08-2017, 02:56 AM
Supporter

As someone who uses GDStash for creating and testing builds, I do agree that we could use enemies that make you react differently. AND there is a problem of trash dying before they can do anything, but like people said, increasing HP would most likely simply slow down clear speed. (pretty much what norzan said)
The problem is in two types of players: casual and hardcore. Those who devote a lot of time in this game and those who don't. The first type is the one who most likely still needs to level up characters (benefits from variety) and the one to have weaker build (does not benefit from difficulty). Vice versa for second type of player.
Maybe game could use a bit of increase in difficulty (difficulty makes you react, normal player has to dodge warden's stomp, ultimate one will most likely facetank it, also had similar experience with heroes in Titan Quest Soulvizier), but one thing we have to keep in mind is game has to leave player time to react (charged attacks, ranged mobs dealing slightly higher damage at range, ground shit). For example Zantarin's vitality bolts teeter on the edge of being unfair (I'd say unfair, but I've seen people say otherwise) with even a half barrage dropping character low.
Another thing about reacting to stuff is amount of effects player summons. On my druid I regularly cast stuff right into Fabius' blade shield, because I can't see him in the midst of storm I made. Same for saboteur with meteor storm and bunch of other stuff. I can't react to something if I don't notice it.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:21 AM
Herald

My other concern is that most people who begin Ultimate do so with nearly capped resists and a combination of good greens/legendaries/epics.

Should they be punished wearing end-game gear? Should they take twice the damage? Late game if you have farmed well and have geared appropriately you should feel god-like with your character. That's the reward for your farming efforts etc.

I also feel that the first 2 Acts should be easier than the rest of the content and have no idea how anyone can justify "wanting them to be harder". I mean all games have a spike in difficulty as you progress so why should Grim Dawn punish you right at the start of the game?

Finally I feel the devs have done a good job with the variety in enemy mobs.
You have disablers, debuffers, ranged units, gap-closers, healers, dot-stackers, damage soakers (tanks), reflect mobs, enemies which are immune to attacks at certain times, enemies which spawn more enemies. Enemies which buff groups in a radius etc etc. Everything is there. You then have enemies which explode on death, enemies which drain mana/life, enemies which upon death spawn more enemies. The list just goes on.

I would be gutted if Crate decided to give skeletons/grobles/harpies/ratmen 50 new melee attack animations, it does nothing to increase difficulty and would be unnoticed by 90% of players.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:07 AM
Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck_King View Post
I also feel that the first 2 Acts should be easier than the rest of the content and have no idea how anyone can justify "wanting them to be harder". I mean all games have a spike in difficulty as you progress so why should Grim Dawn punish you right at the start of the game?
Comedy gold. The first 2 acts are the beginning of the game on normal mode. You're 10+ hours in on ultimate and as such should not be free from getting a sufficient bump in difficulty.

Apparently people here are fine with the increased difficulty modes being worthless in all but name, because there's certainly no noticeable difficulty jump from my side. It's not even that I'm too good at the game, you all must be fucking awful at it if you're having difficulties.
"B-b-but you must just be using a secret OP build, when I pl-" bullshit. What build are you using that you cannot beat the game? Unless you're purposefully trying to gimp yourself, I cannot for the life of me see how you would be struggling.

That guy who I posted who was running a retaliation build on his first trek through ultimate with a hardcore character? Yeah, could have afk'd in the warden fight and came back to the boss being dead. Neither of the wardens forms could even do 1/4 of his health before he regenned right back up.
All with some shitty greens he found, most of which from elite difficulty.

My Trickster & Warlock just straight up killed bosses on ultimate in seconds as well, so this isn't isolated to just one build.

The entire point of increased difficulty modes seems to have been lost here. Enemies get substantially harder. The risk is far greater. The loot is much more enticing. It's made this way to entice you to play on. Right now playing through Elite felt no different what so ever than playing Normal Veteran. Ultimate felt mostly the same besides a select few instances.

Regular enemies feel like shit. Why don't you just reskin every melee creature to a Scavenger? They all act and are dealt with the same, so what's the point in them be different creatures?

What a joke.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:24 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
It's not even that I'm too good at the game, you all must be fucking awful at it if you're having difficulties.
Aaaaand sig'd.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:46 AM
Herald

Quote:
That guy who I posted who was running a retaliation build on his first trek through ultimate with a hardcore character? Yeah, could have afk'd in the warden fight and came back to the boss being dead. Neither of the wardens forms could even do 1/4 of his health before he regenned right back up.
All with some shitty greens he found, most of which from elite difficulty.
Yep, keep bringing up a retaliation build with Aether Clusters and consumables on their hotbar. Totally emphasises your point.
Closed Thread