Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #501  
Old 03-13-2017, 02:12 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chthon View Post
Could someone clear this bit up for me.

I've been wondering about a few things regarding the Hidden Path

-The Three Guardians, who are they and why do they attack us? Aren't we followers of the Three

-The Mad Queen is she related to the lore or is she simply a Derm Queen of some other nest who went insane when she was separated?

-The lore mentions that a Dreeg thrall was responsible for the Eldritch Creatures inside the temple. Does this account for the Sentinel as well?
Is the Sentinel a servant of three cause he wasn't attacking The Attendant?

-(Non-lore) Does The Sentinel ever spawn w/o the Eldritch Gaze on? I saw him spawn with a human face (no helm) in the crucible once)
Things haven't been the same since the Three vanished without a trace...

The Mad Queen is not associated with the Eldritch gods.

The Sentinel not having a helm in the crucible was a bug.

Quote:
why the heck do they drop pants? I mean the rest of the MIs make sense to me but animals shitting out pants doesn't
Gamism? If MIs only ever made literal sense, animals would never have anything. Or do you carry a sword-crafting kit with you when you fight Dermapterans? You skin their ass hairs off and sew yourself some pants on the spot.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:23 PM
Ascendant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zantai View Post
Gamism? If MIs only ever made literal sense, animals would never have anything. Or do you carry a sword-crafting kit with you when you fight Dermapterans? You skin their ass hairs off and sew yourself some pants on the spot.
-Thanks for all the replies.

-Actually the slicers being Derm claws made a lot of sense (the shape kinda matches as well). The pants on the other hand, well I didn't notice a lot of fur on that pterodactyl known as Guardian of Solael (but oh well)

-Only one left unanswered, is The Sentinel a servant of The Three or is she some random over-powered Eldritch Creature?

--------
Useful mods-
Spoiler!
Old 03-13-2017, 02:25 PM
Advocate

Quote:
Dermapterans claws as a weapon make a lot of sense, insectoid in general have amazing natural weapons.
Could be a fun feature to craft the sword pommel for it at the blacksmith.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:43 PM
Praetorian

Quote:

-The Mad Queen is she related to the lore or is she simply a Derm Queen of some other nest who went insane when she was separated?
Actually I had a thought on this. If you look at her lair there are massive amounts of Aetherial tainted corpses around her. With the aetherial invasion going on they must be fairly recent and likely her lore is more in the aetherial direction. Maybe, as you said, she went insane or something because she got cut off from her lair during the aetherial invasion, if we are to take her name in the literal sense

Last edited by Superfluff; 03-13-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:37 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluff View Post
Actually I had a thought on this. If you look at her lair there are massive amounts of Aetherial tainted corpses around her. With the aetherial invasion going on they must be fairly recent and likely her lore is more in the aetherial direction. Maybe, as you said, she went insane or something because she got cut off from her lair during the aetherial invasion, if we are to take her name in the literal sense
Actually the Flavor text from the mad queens claw clarifies this, the fortress ramparts shes under got build around her and basically trapped her, while her hive was probably destroyed by legionaries or other workers while the walls were being constructed.

also as for the area being called Foundation of Corpses, think about structures like Hoover Dam and The Great Wall of China where either from exhaustion or accidents hundreds or thousands of people died while building these things, they probably decided to just dump the bodies down there.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:51 PM
Ascendant

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8anarchist View Post

also as for the area being called Foundation of Corpses, think about structures like Hoover Dam and The Great Wall of China where either from exhaustion or accidents hundreds or thousands of people died while building these things, they probably decided to just dump the bodies down there.
Even though i disagree i think this is an interesting way to look at it.

Failed aetherial experiments maybe?

Cause i doubt she killed all those Aetherial Thrashers herself, she's not that strong (her aura is though)

--------
Useful mods-
Spoiler!
Old 03-13-2017, 06:53 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
You skin their ass hairs off and sew yourself some pants on the spot.
The best canon.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:29 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8anarchist View Post

Could be it. But some of those corpses look like Fleshwraped Butchers/ Thrashers.

From what i understand you need more than a long dead corpse to make these.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:18 PM
Acolyte

About Rashalga...

The foundation is an odd place - the corpses do indeed look like aether tainted bodies, but it may just be that the mountains of bodies are, from a code and design perspective, recycled assets from other areas of the game. If memory serves correctly, Lucius' boss room and Anasteria's boss room (if you fight her) are filled with similar piles of fleshwarped bodies. Also what strikes me as odd about the Foundation is the pond of fresh blood inside Rashalga's area - as an odd contrast to how much of the game's environments are liberally strewn with guts and viscera, the Foundation of Corpses is one of the only places that has actual pools/puddles of blood, with the only other place I know of being one certain area inside the Temple of the Three.

I'm under the impression that the Foundation of Corpses has some sort of naturally-formed cave formation connecting its ceiling to the surface, and that Aetherwarped creatures who weren't familiar with the Asterkarn's terrain have been accidentally falling into the cave over the course of the Grim Dawn: my thinking is that they're left mortally injured by the fall, after which point the Mad Queen kills them or just lets them drown in the blood pond. At the very least, I'm not convinced that Rashalga killed all those creatures to feed on them, considering how careless she is in letting them rot/lose all their nutritious fluids.

At the very least, that's the most likely explanation I can think of for how her chamber is filled with freshly-dead bodies if she's apparently trapped in there.

Of course, I'm personally more keen on believing that the Foundation of Corpses' design is more for the players' sake: Considering how lethal Rashalga is, it's appropriate that her area needs to appear overtly, exceedingly dangerous.

---
About the Temple of the Three

The Sentinel does seem to be a mystery. The Attendant doesn't seem to acknowledge the Sentinel at all in dialogue, but everything about The Sentinel seems to suggest that he/she/they/it served as some sort of guard appointed by the Witch Gods to defend the temple. I don't think the Sentinel is or was ever a human at any point, since The Attendant's dialogue gives me the impression that the Eldritch Gods don't reward their human followers with that sort of power.

One question I have to ask is how the Occultist abilities fit into the lore context of the Witch Gods going 'missing' - for instance, the description of the "Possession" skill states that the Witch God Solael essentially assumes direct control of your character, which seems a bit odd if he's apparently 'missing' according to anecdotes from his previous devotees. Similarly, the fact that the 'Eye of Dreeg' skill works perfectly fine implies that Dreeg is still capable of influencing Cairn in some shape or form, even if his covens were unable to commune with him directly.

Last edited by Machofish; 03-14-2017 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:30 PM
Ascendant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machofish View Post

One question I have to ask is how the Occultist abilities fit into the lore context of the Witch Gods going 'missing' - for instance, the description of the "Possession" skill states that the Witch God Solael essentially assumes direct control of your character, which seems a bit odd if he's apparently 'missing' according to anecdotes from his previous devotees. Similarly, the fact that the 'Eye of Dreeg' skill works perfectly fine implies that Dreeg is still capable of influencing Cairn in some shape or form, even if his covens were unable to commune with him directly.
Nice observation skills you got there. But I don't think the game's lore ever acknowledges our class (along with some other things). It's like we're using Blood Orb of Ch'thon against Ch'thonians. Why would Chthon allows us to do that?

--------
Useful mods-
Spoiler!

Tags
discussion, lore