Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > Rants

Notices

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 01-23-2012, 12:59 PM
Lord Advocate

Default Put save game files in one location!

Article from RPS that I totally agree with!

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...-in-one-place/

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS
STOP IT: Put Save Games In ONE Place

By John Walker on January 23rd, 2012 at 10:38 am.

I’ve mentioned this flippantly before, in The Rules, but really I’m beyond exasperated now. I demand – DEMAND I say – a single location for savegames to be agreed upon by all who make games, with a punishment of grisly, brutal death for any who fails to follow it. Below I’ve listed the locations for savegames for a bunch of the games I currently have installed.

I’m reminded of my rage this morning, as I settle down for a morning with the new Saints Row: The Third DLC. It turns out it doesn’t work with the press build of the original game I previously had, so I’ve had to install the release version. That means transferring my saves over. So where are they? After an appeal on Twitter I learn that they’re in:

C:\Steam\userdata\[my ID]\55230\remote

Oh, of course. 55230. Why didn’t that just immediately spring to my mind? But some may argue this is a failing of Steam, and not fair to blame on THQ/Volition. Well, let’s take a look at where we can find some other saves.

How about RPG classic, Dragon Age? Are they stored with the game? No no no, of course not. They’re in My Documents! Hidden inside the Characters folder.

C:\Users\John\Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age\Characters\Simon

Hmmm, I want access to my Trials 2 details. So are they in My Documents? No, they’re elsewhere. They’re here:

C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Redlynx\Trials 2 SE\2.0\scores

It’s important to note that AppData (or Application Data pre Win 7) is a hidden folder. Using Windows without knowing your way around it, you’re not even going to see that the folder is on your hard drive, let alone think to look in there. Let alone know the difference between “Local”, LocalLow” and “Roaming”. Deliberately set to scare you away, Windows doesn’t like ordinary people fiddling in there. So that’s where most save games go?

So I’ll look there for Minecraft saves too, as I want them on my netbook. But they’re not in MyDocs nor \Local\! They’re here:

C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\saves

In what appears to be the most deliberately hidden folder, ever.

Right, so Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood. Any of those three? Nope.

C:\Users\John\Saved Games\Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood\SAVES

This one, despite being in the hidden “Users” folder, actually makes a modicum of sense. Sure, it’s a game on Steam, and not being stored in Steam’s numerical system for some reason. But it’s actually in a folder called “Saved Games”! Along with Minesweeper, and nothing else. It’s also somewhat confused by having this location too:

C:\Users\All Users\Ubisoft\Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood

Which is completely empty.

And kudos to indie game Bust N Rush, for managing to be the only game I’ve ever seen in \LocalLow, with this catch location:

C:\Users\John\AppData\LocalLow\Techtonic Games Inc\BustNRush\SAVEDATA\13

Another Steam game, Skyrim, opts for somewhere else too. Back in My Documents now, but in a folder especially for “My Games”. Makes sense too, if it weren’t the only game in there.

C:\Users\John\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Saves

It’s quite near to Cthulhu Saves The World’s saves, which have their own unique space in a dedicated folder for game saves, here:

C:\Users\John\Documents\SavedGames\CSTW\Cthulhu Saves the World\AllPlayers

In short, what I’m saying is: STOP IT! Just
Which begs the question...where will Grim Dawn's save games be located?

(I'm guessing the same place where TQ saves were, but still lol)

Last edited by Renevent; 01-23-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:35 PM
Praetorian

Totally!

Hate that crap, all game saves should be in....my games folder. That's why it's there.

I'd imagine GD will use the same folder as TQIT did seeing as it uses the same engine.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASYLUM101 View Post
I'd imagine GD will use the same folder as TQIT did seeing as it uses the same engine.
Well, lets hope the guys at Crate are smart enough to find the piece of code to change the name of the folder to Grim Dawn. I would hate to have all my GD saves in my "Titan Quest - Immortal Throne" folder.

(Watch out for all the posts from people that did not get the expansion, asking if their save games can still work if they only have vanilla TQ )
Old 01-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Campaigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASYLUM101 View Post
Hate that crap, all game saves should be in....my games folder. That's why it's there.
yeah! +1 to that! at least you do not have to back up different folders, just one folder containing everything!
Old 01-23-2012, 04:47 PM
Campaigner

That save game crap has annoyed me for so long now.

Every time I decide it's time to do a complete system rebuild I have to spend literally HOURS combing through every drive and system folder to try and find where each and every tard-developer decided to save their game files...just so I can keep ahold of them. The fact that we all have super-massive HD capacities these days is NO excuse for not having a logically organized and centralized storage location for game files.

But you want to know what? I DON'T want files saved to My Documents or my user profile folder. These files and locations default to the same drive as the operating system, arguably the single weakest link in ANY computer (and quite often the drive that needs to be completely wiped the most frequently). If I install a game to a harddrive that's NOT the OS drive, chances are, that's where I want ALL of that game's data files INCLUDING saved games. OR...you could just ASK the user where they'd LIKE the game files to be saved! I KNOW, novel concept!!

And that brings me to ANOTHER bit that's been annoying me. Why aren't game installs portable? What is being entered into the registery that is SO damned important that a game will not run without it? And if it's SO important why isn't there a registry repair tool with the game so if you have to move the folder around (swap it to another drive/computer) it can do so seamlessly? Why is it basically a requirement that every single piece of software must be completely reinstalled every single time?? What the ****...

In an age of computers as advanced as they are now, why the HELL are we still in the technological-stoneage with software?? Look at hardware these days...Any piece, any manufacturer, completely interchangeable, many of them WHILE the system is still running.

Last edited by LostSoul; 01-23-2012 at 04:49 PM.
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #6  
Old 01-23-2012, 04:55 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

\Documents\My Games\Grim Dawn\SaveData

Quote:
Another Steam game, Skyrim, opts for somewhere else too. Back in My Documents now, but in a folder especially for “My Games”. Makes sense too, if it weren’t the only game in there.
I guess he hasn't played Dungeon Siege III, Path of Exile beta, Civilization 5, or Titan Quest, as those games all seem to default to "Documents\My Games"
  This is the last staff post in this thread.   #7  
Old 01-23-2012, 04:59 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSoul View Post
In an age of computers as advanced as they are now, why the HELL are we still in the technological-stoneage with software?? Look at hardware these days...Any piece, any manufacturer, completely interchangeable, many of them WHILE the system is still running.
I thought that maybe once we entered the 21st century, printers would work more then 50% of the time and windows would no longer end up getting stuck off-screen or underneath the task-bar but no luck. Still no fucking flying cars or moon colony either... so far the 2000's are a big disappointment.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:04 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
I thought that maybe once we entered the 21st century, printers would work more then 50% of the time and windows would no longer end up getting stuck off-screen or underneath the task-bar but no luck. Still no fucking flying cars or moon colony either... so far the 2000's are a big disappointment.
then you missed this and a few similar vids

real flying car
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7f1feSjDks

see there are flying cars, but yes still no moon colony, and I don't think that will happen for a long time yet, but in general, I do agree with your statement

Co-op Digital Deluxe Bundle supporter I hope GD is a success
Old 01-23-2012, 05:14 PM
Lord Advocate

Cool balloon lol...need to get one just to freak out the neighbors!
Old 01-26-2012, 04:59 PM
Supporter

Yeah I've noticed a lot of games have used "Documents\My Games" for their save location, but I agree there should be standards in the industry like this, if not at least give people the chance to decide where all their save files will go.

Grim Dawn... sounds like an evil dish soap.
Closed Thread

Tags
save games