Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Early Access > Ideas and Feedback

Notices

Old 02-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Minister of Information

Default Dialogues

A few wishes how the story of GD will be presented:

#1 TQ does not have any dialogues - monologues only. I'd like to read a few lines of what our hero/ine is thinking. Some gamers seem to appreciate, if their main character has a generic/empty character. I'd prefer that the toon I play expresses its own opinion about things going on.

This way there will not be any walls of text any more, which will make the whole thing more readable/enjoyable.

#2 Make 2 versions of the text - a male and a female version, so that the heroine is not always mistaken for a guy.

#3 I enjoy comic books and would like to see speech ballons instead of text boxes. Vagrant Story is a good example:
Old 02-01-2010, 06:20 PM
Speaker

I've seen a nice number of gamers complaining when the main character already has a personality. They argue that because of that, they cannot get "sucked into the game" (God I hate my limited English vocabulary) and the game feels synthetic.

I have no opinion on this matter tho, both works for me.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:38 PM
Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisprinzessin View Post
I'd like to read a few lines of what our hero/ine is thinking.
But the hero is you, so you know what the hero is thinking without dialogues, because you know what you are thinking... that's only my point of view.
Because I don´t like long dialogues, I like action! but of course a bit of introduction would be nice, a small dialogue to introduce the plot and the characters, but i would like not a lot af question-answer, question-answer, question-answer, .. But of course I am not against dialogues at all.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:08 PM
Minister of Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3us View Post
I've seen a nice number of gamers complaining when the main character already has a personality. They argue that because of that, they cannot get "sucked into the game" [...] and the game feels synthetic.
I for myself can only empathise with the character, if there is a personality. Well, some types will not work well and each of us has different preferences, but I think there are several archetypes many people find attractive.

If GD will have many matured NPCs, then the hero's personality will not be too obtrusive. Much depends on how much the hero is involved in the story, or if he is more or less a "meddlesome" stranger like in TQ.

I read that many people never identify with any sort of main character, but with the sidekick, the villain, etc.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Seeing dialogues would be quite interesting. I never like empty characters, they have the appeal of a sack of potatoes.

The character in these games is never a blank sheet; he always helps out people and drives back the demons. Would be nice if there was some personality behind that as well.

What would be even more kick-arse was if the personality was linked to your first mastery; but that certainly is a far cry from reality.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:20 PM
Minister of Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorpion_King View Post
I don´t like long dialogues, I like action!
There can be action in dialogues, too. In TQ I do not listen to all the stuff, people are telling. However, I find that the people of act 4 are better story tellers. Can the two of us agree on that dialogues need to be short, sharp and sexy?
Old 02-01-2010, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

Dialogues simply need to be skippable and non-essential for the game progress..
I'd still love to see them though.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerkyerk View Post
Dialogues simply need to be skippable and non-essential for the game progress..
I'd still love to see them though.
On page 503 of the GrimDawn Options interface, there should be a checkbox that permits players to skip all dialogs.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

Whatever happened to the 'click anywhere' else option?

Heh, it could work just like in Titan Quest. You'd just have to click a few more times to skip through.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:41 PM
Supporter

If there is (limited) dialog, there could be (limited) choice options ?

Talking to a few NPCs would open a window as if merchant, etc.
You would be given a choice, which could impact on the game story. I am mainly thinking about factions and reputation (if implemented).

You are proposed an optional (or alternative) quest. You accept it. You are given quest items, a better acceptance in that faction, but a lower one in the enemy faction.
You are coming back for a quest reward. You choose a symbolic reward and gain a better acceptance or a new quest. You choose to deprive the orphan from his father's weapon and gain a powerful item, at the price of your reputation.

Something just simple, functional and useful (basically, the choice of the reward).

Tags
character, dialogs