This is the last staff post in this thread.   #1  
Old 09-02-2010, 07:14 AM
Crate Employee - Designer

Default Skill PFX

Just up to my old tricks, working on some better pfx for two skills... Been doing a lot of skill work this week. Will let you know how it turns out once I figure out whether I'm happy with the new skills.

Trying to get a better texture library for making pfx this time around because I've learned that so much of what enables you to make good pfx is the textures. It is a frustrating process though as I find things that seem like they should make awesome pfx texture often look like total fail when you get them in the editor. I've gotten a little better at guessing what will work but it is still a lot of trial and error.

Once I have a good foundation of textures, making the actual effects should go much faster.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:38 AM
Praetorian

Sounds complex! Good luck figuring out all those things!
Old 09-02-2010, 08:34 AM
Advocate

What does PFX stand for?
Old 09-02-2010, 10:43 AM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sile View Post
What does PFX stand for?
particle effects i believe
Old 09-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Herald

Just remember to go easy on the buff effects! Especially for buffs you can keep up nonstop, I always get turned off from using it a bit if it has an elaborate effect.

A lot of arpg's are guilty of this, and especially Torchlight. Some of the shields makes it literally hard to see what's going in melee range.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:24 PM
Speaker

I see how it gets in the way of the action, but i've never perceived it like that. I really liked all the effects, and it can't be enough for me
Old 09-02-2010, 02:32 PM
Praetorian

Woot! That was something that kinda bugged me about TQ's PFX editor. There were really only a few textures that could be utilized well for spells. The lightning, the smoke, and the various orbs. Everything else just kinda ... looked weird.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:06 PM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3B0L4 View Post
I see how it gets in the way of the action, but i've never perceived it like that. I really liked all the effects, and it can't be enough for me
I'm fine with it if it's for a short duration or powerful spell or something, but I'm not fond of it when it's stuff that you will always have going, almost like a passive. It feels a bit pointless to get cool looking gear when your character is basically a walking bubble anyway.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:43 AM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASYLUM101 View Post
Woot! That was something that kinda bugged me about TQ's PFX editor. There were really only a few textures that could be utilized well for spells. The lightning, the smoke, and the various orbs. Everything else just kinda ... looked weird.
but a nice lightning around your hands with smoke driftin from it over your hand is more than just utilizing them well , it is amazing ....

also a proud Loyalist 23.11.15 (what took me 5 years to buy this game again .....)

10.10.17 and as life tends to be in the way of playing, only now tried using the loyalist pack, at least i can say i have a (sort of) life...
Old 09-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Speaker

I love working with the particle editor... i hope you enjoy it too

Tags
skills, textures