Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Community Section > General Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 01-22-2010, 11:51 AM
Seeker

Question What formats will Grim Dawn be available as ?

Is this going to be a digital only game or will there be a retail version as well ?

If there is going to be a retail version, has any DRM been discussed yet ? (Unlike many people, I prefer a disc-based check. ie: SecuROM)

Also, is this game going to feature an introduction movie, cut-scenes, and spoken dialog through out the game ? As much as I liked Torchilght, it's a budget game in my opinion.

Last edited by eisprinzessin; 05-20-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:11 PM
Praetorian

IIRC they've said that there might be a physical version released. It'll probably depend on how things go & what happens with publishers (if there is one & what the agreement is).

Torchwood may have been a budget game, but at least it was for a budget price (so that's ok in my book).
Old 01-22-2010, 12:30 PM
Emissary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama8 View Post

Torchwood may have been a budget game, but at least it was for a budget price (so that's ok in my book).
I think you mean Torchlight But yes I think I recall them saying digital distribution is a likely way to go, with a retail/boxed version being possible but I think unlikely at this stage
Old 01-22-2010, 12:41 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluga View Post
I think you mean Torchlight
Yup, I was watching a Dr Who re-run last night (or was it the night before?)...
Old 01-22-2010, 12:44 PM
Emissary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama8 View Post
Yup, I was watching a Dr Who re-run last night (or was it the night before?)...
Heh, all good. For a second I was wondering what this Torchwood game was
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #6  
Old 01-22-2010, 06:41 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

It is very possible that there will be a retail boxed release at some point. We may have some sort of animimatic (sort of like a cinematic but told through 2d art) but I very much doubt there will be a 3d cinematic unless pre-order sales increase 100-fold. Even just a short 60 second cinematic would cost upwards of $200,000.

The reality is that this IS a budget game to some extent, hence the $20 price-tag for the standard edition. In most respects, we don't think it will seem budget and, in terms of features, we think people will be getting a lot for their money. We have the advantage of using the Iron Lore engine and tools, which allow us to make a much more fully featured and higher quality product than would other be possible on such a low budget.

The fan contributions though are a way for us to add in more of these extras like additional boss battles, more V/O, more music, more items, etc. Although the pre-orders are going strong so far, I just don't think they're going to reach a level that would justify a $200,000 cinematic. Hey, that's like 40 boss monsters!
Old 01-22-2010, 06:47 PM
Acolyte

Don't worry about cinematics, money is much better spent on other things more important to the actual gameplay.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:48 PM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
... Although the pre-orders are going strong so far, I just don't think they're going to reach a level that would justify a $200,000 cinematic. Hey, that's like 40 boss monsters!
I never knew that boss monsters costed $5k each. That means that your average TQ player could net 5 Million dollars worth of boss kills!

Sometimes I worry that I have too much time on my hands...
  This is the last staff post in this thread.   #9  
Old 01-22-2010, 07:00 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coridan View Post
I never knew that boss monsters costed $5k each.

That's probably on the cheap too. When you add up the cost of designer implementation time, special fx, special coding, on top of the art... I'd guess most companies spend even more. For a game like God of War with such elaborate boss battles it is probably astronomical.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:18 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
Even just a short 60 second cinematic would cost upwards of $200,000.
**** me! I didn't think they'd be cheap, but I didn't realise they'd be that much. Out of curiosity how much (ballpark) do other things cost? Items, monsters, voice overs, etc...
Closed Thread

Tags
cgi, distribution, grim dawn drm, retail, securom, torchlight