Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Community Section > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 01:52 AM
Counsel

Default LVL on items???

Cant remember if it has been talked about yet, cant find it anyway if it has.

The LVL and/or stats for the use of an item will it be so if you find a cool rare drop you will have to vail like 4 to 8 lvl up before you can use it ???

Have to admit that in NWN1 you had the option to play the singleplayer game and with no lvl requiments in items, so if you found a cool item you used it right away.

many players like to find an item and then play more just to lvl up so you can use that item, I on the other hand love when you egt a cool drop, just pick it up and start killing with better weapon or armor piece.

can you even make a balance game if items did not need stats or lvl to use, so that stats will only affect dam output = ( str ). AC/crit%/range dambonus = (dex/agility) manapool magic dam output = (int ). phy risist hp ( con ) and so on.

dont know how many stats there will be, i know that you will then have the posibility of gamers running around in replay game having end game armor and weapons, but that will be there problem.

is it me only, and is it a totaly bad idea ? i mean a dagger of super quality dont need dex 200 str 110 to use i mean a dagger stil wieght still only 2 pounds, it is the magic that do the extra damage on it, get my point ?

lets say dagger get there dam bonus from dex, then it will be all up to the gamer if he/she will pump dex to max or not.

i can see the logic with stats requiment on armor, str wise for carry it around and if items have weight on it to see how mutch you can carry around ingame.

duno i juat sit here tabbing my mind down. plz come with usefull responses THX

*EDIT* it is mostly for weapons i wrote it

Last edited by Code187; 03-24-2011 at 02:12 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:05 AM
Lord Advocate

I think stat requirements on items are good...they kinda reinforce the decisions you make while creating a character.

Want to make a heavy plate wearing mage? Sure no problem! Make sure you invest in strength to meet the requirements!

So what does this system do? Well it gives you the option of wearing plate as a mage character...but you must sacrifice investing in intelligence to invest in strength in order to meet the item requirements.

It's give and take, and I think it's a great design. I feel choice is only really meaningful if the implications of those choices are significant.

I REALLY hope this doesn't change with Grim Dawn.

Last edited by Renevent; 03-24-2011 at 02:12 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:14 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
I think stat requirements on items are good...they kinda reinforce the decisions you make while creating a character.
He's talking about level requirements, too.

Stats are good and definitely in, we've had this discussion before.

Levels - I can't say they're necessary.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:25 AM
Super Moderator

I agree with Renevent here. D2 for example had class specific weapons, which restricts most players from using those weapons, ever. In TQ, all characters can wear all weapons you want, if you invest in the right attributes. This restricts the player's overall options, but in doing see it creates more choice, diversity and offers more unique builds. A game is not so much about reality as it is about having fun.

The level requirements.. well yea, that's a more tricky one. I don't twink my characters anymore anyway, as I feel it breaks the game, so for my personal experience, I couldn't care less. One should realize that removing the level constraints on equipment will break the balance beyond repair, so it might be a good mechanic to keep in to protect the players from themselves (I assume most unexperienced players will just use everything the game throws at them). On the other hand, it's a good way to rush characters through the final difficulty. I don't know, I think the negative consequences for new players of removing level requirements easily outweighs the positive consequences of seasoned players of rushing (besides, there's nothing wrong with a bit of challenge while rushing).
Old 03-24-2011, 02:33 AM
Lord Advocate

I have to say I'm a bit indifferent on the level reqs myself. I dunno...I think there is something to preserving some level of balance...and even the players from themselves (as you so aptly put it). Yes it's mostly a SP game. Yes people will cheat anyways.

It's not a huge concern to me though
Old 03-24-2011, 03:59 AM
Speaker

I don't mind level requirements on items, but the ones in Titan Quest didn't feel very well balanced at all. Most of the easier to find blues and purples were too high of a requirement, and most of the best gear was too low, in my opinion.

I'd prefer to see most of the beginner and intermediate items tend towards lower level requirements - so you can almost always equip what you find. And for the best stuff, I'd like to see lots of the items have higher requirements 65-68 for top end stuff (assuming lvl 75 cap)

I just felt like in TQ once you hit this magical level 45ish you could suddenly equip everything.

Oh and I see other people don't really care for level requirements. I think that works as well, since if you put well balanced stat requirements, they can act indirectly as a level requirement.

Last edited by ZorusX; 03-24-2011 at 04:01 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:06 AM
Speaker

what could be cool is if a weapon has 3 lvls to be upgraded to.

for example : after 100 kills being on - he reaches lvl 2 - better stats.
after 1500 kills -lvl3 -even better stats
after 5000 kills - max lvl - the best stats.

that way it is good to keep the same weapon on for a while, let it learn how to kill better....
Old 03-24-2011, 07:16 AM
Counsel

seems like i am verry bad in telling my point

armor stats YES.
lvl? NO
cant see why lvl must be on an item,
if you deside to spend all your attributes on STR to wear an armor at lvl 10 then why not ??? but prolly the item will be a lvl 14+ item.

weapons in general. TQ you start using a bronce dagger withs is more heavy than an iron dagger, but you need more str and dex to use an iron dagger .
yes i know it is a game and the main thing is FUN game play but even in ADD weapons dont require 200 STR to wield i mean a weapon is only heavy to a sertant point. after that it is the magic on an item that do all the wonderfull damage.

think about this, it is stats that is major foudation on skills and phy damage range damage. magic damage, then you can as easily make verry difrens builts even with out lvl range or stats on WEAPONS, not armor. again if u go bow way, it will be manly dex/agility you will be going and not str, i mean you dont need an iotem to tell you what stats you need to max out to get best posible damage output, same goes for mage, yes a mage in heavy armor might be cool og running around with a greatsword, but it will stil be the high int that boost skills and generel magic damage output right.

there fore i duno see why we need lvl requiments on weapons and armor,
yes put stats on armor so a mage cant run around in heavy plate with str 10

but the mage with a gold dagger str 10 will not do as mutch dage as a warrior with str 200, and a mage with a staff imbues with bonus damage on magic output acording to int, that way the game will still be open and it will be up to the player what to sacrifise one or more atribute to make funn builts.

not the lvl 34 needed, 150 str/98 dex for a mithrel hammer damage 85 to 125

the hammer might give 85 to 125 damage range, but if u have str 10 that will be the max damage done 125 if enemy dont have radution on damage , but if it is a player with high str it is a total difrence thing.

my mind cant see where the game will be ruind with out huge stats and lvl needed on the item, anybody going mage will boost stats to gain good outcome on damage,

oh i keep going on repeating my selv SRY all. i dont want my point to be the way to go, just trying to make you see it from my point of wiew
Old 03-24-2011, 07:16 PM
Minister of Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code187 View Post
Cant remember if it has been talked about yet, cant find it anyway if it has.
Do you remember this? Adding my previous reply for visibility, too.
Quote:
Items use stats, BUT PLZ dont put a lvl on it to use. if one have the right str or dex to use an item THEN let us use it, i been waiting from lvl 15 to lvl 22 to use a sword in TQ just becorse og lvl restrictions

SO NO LVL RESTRICTIONS is my one wish only stats
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisprinzessin View Post
We had a very good discussion about attribute and level requirements on items in May:
Remove Stat Requirements From Gear. ... in short: The level requirement will remain in GD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
The level restriction is a sort of balancing fail-safe in the event that certain items don't have attribute requirements or to put a reasonable limit how far ahead in items the player can get by twinking themselves with lots of +attribute gear and min / maxing their points. I think it could be less restrictive than it is on TQ though.

[...] To that end, level requirements may play more of a limiting roll while attributes may be more important in determining how effective you are with the weapon you equip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisprinzessin View Post
Can items either have stat or level requirements, but not both? You can find almost the same item multiple times, just with different level requirements (e.g.: 11, 25 or 34). So where is the point?
You can blame affixes for this. Affixes are were things start to get really messy because I at least haven't thought of a really good way to do requirements for them given that a single affix can appear on many different types of equipment over a large level range. So, setting some minimum item level seems the best solution. If an item already has an item level requirement, it just uses whichever is higher. If not, then it just applies the one from the affix. If you have a low-level affix on a high-level items, then you may end up with what seems like a ridiculously low item level requirement.
Now I've got a question to you. Which game are you referring to? When I play TQ, I hardly find items above my current toon's level. If so I would be very happy to have a new item, which is not already underpowered.
Quote:
The LVL and/or stats for the use of an item will it be so if you find a cool rare drop you will have to vail like 4 to 8 lvl up before you can use it ??? [...] many players like to find an item and then play more just to lvl up so you can use that item, I on the other hand love when you egt a cool drop, just pick it up and start killing with better weapon or armor piece.

Tags
equipment, items