Grim Dawn Forums

Grim Dawn Forums (http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Classes, Skills and Builds (http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Albrecht's Aether Ray Arcanist: Three Builds in B26 (Pure Arcanist, Sorcerer, Warlock) (http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22626)

WolfOverclocked 06-16-2015 11:31 PM

Albrecht's Aether Ray Arcanist: Three Builds in B26 (Pure Arcanist, Sorcerer, Warlock)

Updated for Build 27!
Hey everyone!
Here's an updated (and correctly titled thread) for, what is, my favorite build in the game, the Albrecht's Aether Ray Arcanist! Some people just say Aether Ray Guy, some say Aetherlord, some say Aether Adept, but whatever you call it, the build is really awesome and really fun. What I'm presenting below is a main build and two variations, a Sorcerer (thanks to Zars for giving me the basic idea before the level cap increase) and a Warlock (which can have a few variations). So, how I'm going to cover this is with the main build concept then I'll cover the variations right after that, then I'll present the items. Most of the information would be repetitive otherwise.

So, enough talking, here we go!

Pure Arcanist
Grimcalc: http://grimcalc.com/build/xsclhF
I won't be including plus skills grimcalc, but a general rule is add +3 to +4 and to have the beam at 26/16.
Here's the base build which the two variations below are based on. It covers the general build and skills and the two variations add/remove things from it.

Role
This is a nearly pure dps build based around using Albrecht's Aether Ray for single targets and small groups, coupled with Callidor's Tempest and Devastation for large groups.

Pros
-Damage, Lots of Damage
-Can solo endgame Veteran.
-Bosses melt under the beam.
-Groups/trash fall apart under falling rocks and/or your exploding body.
-Has control and defensive abilities that can help in avoiding death.
-Uses Aether damage, why settle for the lesser, basic elements of nature in this world when you can tap into the pure, raw energy of the universe, that which is used by your enemies and turn it against them in a solid beam of destruction?
-That being said, you also gear with fire, which is pretty easy to gear for.
-Beam, explosions, and falling rocks, it all looks awesome.

Cons
-Energy consumption to the max.
-Squishy without defensive abilities up.
-Requires specific gear to get really solid.
-Cannot self heal beyond potions, control and defensive spells are limited due to cooldowns.
-Aether is only used by the Arcanist currently (though fire is used elsewhere), which can be a little rough.
-Callidor's Tempest is a close range ability.
-Devastation can be unreliable.

Skills
One note, I'm not going to list the modifier skills, I'll just assume they can be taken or not based on personal preference, since all they really do is enhance the active skills.
Offensive
Albrecht's Aether Ray: This is the reason for the build and serves as the base from which everything is built around. It slices, dices, melts, burns, and looks cool. With enough aether and fire damages, it can even put a Minbari War Cruiser's beam weapons to shame!
Callidor's Tempest: This ability has the same damages as the beam and serves to take out packs that get too close/spread around you. It's super spammable too, so with increased casting it makes a Wand of Woh look like a child's toy.
Devastation: Another damage synergy and great for a 1 point investment. Use this against packs in the distance that are clumped together or large single targets. This is also great for hitting things on the other side of things the beam can't pass through (like walls and trees).

Defensive
Olexra's Flash Freeze: A great 1 point control ability, stops packs dead, the area matches Callidor's Tempest more-or-less, so you can stop a pack, then explode them.
Mirror of Ereoctes: The best "oh poopy" button there is. Prevents damage so you can run away or face tank for 3 seconds.
Maiven's Sphere of Protection: In B27, this ability got awesome. It's a toggle passive style ability now and offers great defense for a minimal sacrifice of damage. Really solid, especially with points spent on it.

Buffs
Iskandra's Elemental Exchange: It and its modifiers are really solid 1-point abilities, especially if you have some +1 to all Arcanist skill items and if you've got Crushing Will and/or Mantle of the Weeping Eye. It's especially nice now that it offers energy regen.
Inner Focus: Maxing this is super helpful for this build. It a) builds Offensive Ability, allowing the bonus crit damage on the beam to happen more, making the beam stronger and b) increases Spirit, which increases Energy, Energy Regen, and Magic Damage, all of which makes the beam stronger.
Arcane Will: I have a point in here, because why not? It's a small bonus, but given the squishiness of the build, you'll see it proc quite often.
Mental Alacrity: The cost reduction is super helpful, but also the beam takes casting speed into account now, so this is a buff for not only the beam, but also getting Callidor's Tempest going super fast.
Fabric of Reality: Flat aether damage increase, obvious choice, makes the beam stronger.

Sorcerer
Grimcalc: http://grimcalc.com/build/t1sapY
Using what I've mention above as a base there are changes with the class, due to having to get to 25 Demolitionist in mastery points and have enough to pump a few things up.

Advantages/Disadvantages compared to Pure Arcanist
-Can stun a large group of enemies with Concussive Bombs
-More robust and has an easier time with managing energy, this is because of the extra attribute gains from the mastery points.
-Beam is slightly weaker, but it's still really strong.
-More offensive and defensive buffs.
-The fire (and actually, the lightning as well) mesh well with the Arcanist.
-Callidor's Tempest isn't spammable anymore, though Fire Strike kind of makes up for it.
-You do lose the ability to gloat over being a pure Arcanist, though things work a little smoother with the mastery combo.

Skills
Callidor's Tempet --> Wrath of Agrivix: This skill goes from being a spammable group clearing ability to being a one-shot control skill. It's actually really handy when a large group of smaller enemies horde you and you can throw them away with it. Knocked down enemies can still be attacked, so this works great as a control skill. So, in this build, I have it replace Olexra's Flash Freeze, more-or-less.

Flame Touched: Another small fire buff which will help along the same lines of Iskandra's Elemental Exchange.

Blast Shield and Vindictive Flame: Two defensive skills that provide some raw defense and some retaliation. With more points these could be really solid defensive abilities, especially when combined with Mirror of Ereoctes and Maiven's Sphere of Protection.

Canister Bomb -->Concussive Bomb: The main reason to go Demolitionist with this build, the Concussive Bomb provides a massive stun effect. It just roots everything. It's got a quick cooldown and deals some damage. It's awesome.

Warlock Beam
Grimcalc: http://grimcalc.com/build/bqFJxp
Grimcalc: http://grimcalc.com/build/iRhQeP Version 2!
Version 1: A concept build to prove the concept.
Version 2: This build is based around using the Aether Ray with Tainted Power as the main delivery mechanism for chaos, fire, and vitality damage. These damage types are shared by the Occultist side of things with Sigil of Consumption/Destruction and Solael's Witchfire/Second Rite. The Familiar is added in for it's small passive bonuses, but also because my current chest piece for this guy has +1 to Summon Familiar.

Advantages/Disadvantages compared to Pure Arcanist
-Less synergy within the Arcanist half of the class because of the damage switch, though fire still works with both.
-Synergizes with the Occultist though, as there's lots of chaos damage there.
-Also, because Disintegration has vitality damage, you can cross over with the vitality damage abilities within the Occultist mastery.
-Pet options!
-Has access to Curse of Frailty and Vulnerability, one of the best debuffs in the game!
-Completely loses Callidor's Tempes and Devastation. though these could potentially be brought back if fire is the focus over chaos. This means the beam is used heavily and taxes energy, but also it means there's not big group clearing bombs.
-Can possibly self heal, if Blood of Dreeg is taken.
-You'll get the most out of the Blackwood Wand and Spiritweaver Circlet (listed in the gear section below).
-Highly customizable! Try it out, there's lots of options that I just can't cover here, it could be it's own huge thread!

Skills
Tainted Power/Disintegration: I'm pointing out the beam here because it's not a chaos/fire/vitality attack, which are the three damages this build gears around. You'll want the two beam skills maxed out completely, both to get the outright largest chaos/fire damage, but also to add as much vitality damage as possible.

Sigil of Consumption/Destruction: These are only 1-pointers presently, but are a candidate for leveling up. Because the damage types are all within the main damages the build is built around the sigils are a great source of damage, either on their own or when coupled with the beam. I'll also note, that this build doesn't have the bombs the standard Aether Ray guys have, specifically Devastation, so you'll have to rely more on the beam, and thus, your energy drains more. The sigil can help mitigate this because it will provide a DoT that weakens the enemies so you can finish them off. It's also a survival ability because of its life steal.

Solael's Witchfire/Second Rite: Like Iskandra's this is a straight up buff,but in the case of Second Rite it's a lot of chaos damage and vitality damage added to your attacks, and thus, provides more value added than Iskandra's, even though IEE is still 1-pointed here.

Curse of Frailty/Vulnerability: This ability is awesome, even as a 1-pointer, a true 1-point wonder ability. It weakens the enemy to your damage while slowing the enemy, thus keeping you safe. This slow also keeps enemies in the sigils, thus dealing more damage.

Gearing, Stats, and Tactics
What follows here are the gearing options, the attribute allocation I used, and some tactical/strategic advice.

Stats
There's no specific way of doing this, but I went with Physique/Spirit in a 1:1 ratio and a few points in Cunning to make sure I could meet prerequistes.

Gear - Components
Weapon: Immaterial Edge is the best option but others include: Blackwood Wand, Soul Flayer, Defiance, Spellweaver, or Devil's Bargin (Devil's Crossing, Honored) - Wrathstone
Off-Hand: Crushing Will, Dementia, Death's Ruin (Order of Death's Vigil, Honored), or a well crafted Rhowari Spellweaver Codex - Blessed Steel/Haunted Steel/Radiant Gem/Other

Helmet: Spiritweaver Circlet or Nether Crown - Any (I'm using an Antivenom Salve)
Chest Piece: Anything with high Energy Regen - Chains of Oleron (I'm using a skill energy cost reduction one.)
Pants: Open Slot, have fun! - Ancient Armor Plate

Shoulders: Mantle of the Weeping Eye - Mutated Scales
Gloves: Inscribed Bracers or Rhowari Handguards (Rovers, Honored) - Spellwoven Threads/Unholy Inscription/Restless Remains
Boots: Open Slot, have fun! - Mark of the Traveler/Mark of Mogdrogen

Belt: Frizzick's Utility Belt or Death's Cord (Order of Death's Vigil, Respected Blueprint) - Any (I'm using a Molten Skin)
Medal: Combat Medic's Mark (Though there are options, including crafted ones.) - Aether Soul
Relic: Haunt

Amulet: Amulet of the Eye or Pendent of Ubiquitous Wrath (Order of Death's Vigil, Revered) - Arcane Lens/Aether Soul
Rings: Aetherlord's Signet, Devil's Wrath Seal (Devil's Crossing, Revered) - Mark of Illusions

Augments: Uroboruuk's Path I for the amulet/rings is the definite shoot for, even though it's Order of Death's Vigil Revered. Otherwise, there are some in Devil's Crossing (Corpsefiend Tentacle, I believe) that are Aether/Vitality damage which will serve well. Also, in the Rover camp there's Rhowan's Path I that have a nice caster oriented boost.) For the weapon/off-hand, you can really go with anything at this present build.

Future Gear: Legion Aetherspark, Legion Vestments, possibly Legion Mantle (Black Legion, Honored), The Augments in the Black Legion are also pretty juicy looking. I'm also looking forward to the Paragon of the Arcanum set, it looks cool and looks like it'll have some nice bonuses.

General Gearing Recommendations: Damagewise, gear to look for should be based around supporting aether damage, then fire or vitality damage. Otherwise, look for Energy Regen on as much gear as possible, especially the chest piece. Affixes to look for include Aetherfire-, -of Arcane Blaze, -of the Flesh Hulk, -of Albrecht's Focus, and Magi-. I haven't seen many of those affixes but they're coming more often in B27.

Alternate Skills/Gear
Maiven's set is a legitimate alternative option for pretty much any Arcanist. It gives bonuses to elemental and aether damages and gives +1 to all Arcanist skills when completed. For skills, I'm considering working in Reckless Power/Ascendance because of the that huge damage buff it grants, though damage is rarely an issue for me personally. Ascendance would be a nice group buff though, so if I'm playing with friends I may do a temporary respec and activate it to give them a buff on top of Iskandra's. If Nullification had more applications, I'd consider it, but usually things are dead before any buffs/debuffs they use matter.

For a chaos build/Warlock Beam: The Rhowari Spellweaver Codex or Heretic's Tome and Rhowari Chaos rings are super helpful as well. Spellbinder's Grip are a solid pair of chaos gloves while the Mark of the False Gods is a solid medal. The Cthonian Thread Sash is the belt to go for and the Warp Shard is a not-bad-but-probably-going-be-replaced amulet. Components are standard though Enchanted Flint makes for a nice weapon component option and Symbol of Solael works on the off-hand. I threw a Black Tallow in the medal, since it's the chaos damage equal to an Aether Soul.

Future Ideas
I think I've found the Sorcerer to be my favorite of the three, so I'm going with that in the future. With more points from future cap increases, I'm probably going to build up the abilities I've got. I don't know that I'd seek out new abilities, since the hot bar is pretty full at the moment. I think Maiven's Sphere is top of the list though Canister Bomb being bigger and badder sounds nice too. With more points though, these can be used more often and would be more powerful. The Warlock has a ton of potential, from having a vitality damage sub-focus, to stronger pets, to a huge chaos focus. There's a lot that the Warlock can have.

Tactics
The main thing I do is look way ahead on the screen for packs of enemies and judge which I'm going to do: beam, Devastation, or explode. If it's a pack of trash mobs I'll usually trot on through, explode them, then move on. If it's got a lot of things like revenants or knights or harpy oracles or things that generally have more-than-average hit points, I'll hit them with Devastation, then pick off stragglers with the beam. If there's a hero, I tend to focus the beam on them, after either exploding trash they have, beaming trash they have, or Devastating them. Sometimes, I'll beam them first, since it's possible to almost instantly kill them, then take care of the rest. The beam is strong enough that only the bossiest of bosses can stand up against it. In this case, I'll start the beam, then wait for an attack to be made and Mirror against it. Lots of the build is instinct for me and really does have situational elements, but those are things I think of while playing, especially the looking ahead concept.

For the Sorcerer, the Canister Bomb is a great lead-in. It sets up groups for a Devastation or for the beam. That, combined with Maiven's Sphere and the Mirror provides some great defensive moves. For the Warlock, the pets help manage the battlefield a bit, but Curse of Frailty is an awesome move to open with and then you can pick things off with the beam.

Videos
Here are four videos featuring everything I mentioned above.

Part 1: The Items
Part 2: The Pure Arcanist
Part 3: The Sorcerer
Part 4: The Warlock
Version 2 of the Warlock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GhptwCfb2Q

Build 27 Update Video!: https://youtu.be/tteOJabiZqs

But also, here's a playlist featuring all of my Albrecht's Aether Ray content, stretching all the way back to when the Arcanist was first introduced! The Playlist Link!

Conclusion
Thanks for reading through this guide, everyone! I know it's a big one, so I hope you enjoyed it! If there are any mistakes I've made please let me know. I'm open to questions and comments and constructive criticism.

Dre 06-17-2015 04:00 AM

This was really informative and easy to understand for a total noob to the game like myself.

I've got a few of the items you listed like dementia and nether crown and I've been trying to figure out an aether ray build... this gives me a great starting point and reference.

Thanks for posting this, man.

WolfOverclocked 06-17-2015 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dre (Post 239948)
This was really informative and easy to understand for a total noob to the game like myself.

I've got a few of the items you listed like dementia and nether crown and I've been trying to figure out an aether ray build... this gives me a great starting point and reference.

Thanks for posting this, man.

Thanks! I tried to be informative, easy-to-understand, and a little funny.

Those two items are definitely a good start to gearing the build up.

c4ndlejack 06-17-2015 07:08 AM

Is it possible to get enough attack damage converted to health to make a difference?

Grohuf 06-17-2015 07:19 AM

I tried to use AAR and only good result I recieved with OFF + AAR. Tempest + AAR is hard to play combination because these skills require different playstyle.
Using Canister Bomb instead of OFF should be nice idea. Maybe I will try sorcerer myself.

PS Nice double green in the video.

Zars 06-17-2015 08:16 AM

I suggest give a point in Nullification for whatever build you play. It's really life saving skill. I can't count how many times it saves me from reflect damage heroes and some dangerous elemental mages.

WolfOverclocked 06-17-2015 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c4ndlejack (Post 239989)
Is it possible to get enough attack damage converted to health to make a difference?

I've tried using a little bit of it (Haunted Steel and it's Blooddrinker II ability) but it didn't make a noticeable difference for me. With everything else to gear for, I eschewed life steal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grohuf (Post 239990)
I tried to use AAR and only good result I recieved with OFF + AAR. Tempest + AAR is hard to play combination because these skills require different playstyle.
Using Canister Bomb instead of OFF should be nice idea. Maybe I will try sorcerer myself.

PS Nice double green in the video.

I think that as 1-point wonder control spells, you could go either way now. If you're using Tempest as a attack spell, then you've got that to take out anything that hordes you and you've got the beam to melt bigger targets. Flash Freeze is a great skill though, I like them both as control spells.

Zars did the Canister Bomb first, so he deserves credit for that. It's a really nice build option and with the recent cap increase it's more flexible.

And that green, I was staring at it last night and I think it may be better than my Immaterial Edge, but the Edge just looks so cool I don't think I can trade it out as my melee weapon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zars (Post 239998)
I suggest give a point in Nullification for whatever build you play. It's really life saving skill. I can't count how many times it saves me from reflect damage heroes and some dangerous elemental mages.

I'll have to give it another look. I tried it out a while ago but found it really circumstantial. I want to use it though, because I like the concept of the ability.

Usually for reflect, the only times it gets me is if I'm not paying attention and miss the spikey effect on the monster and just shoot them with the beam and die in the process of realizing my mistake. :rolleyes: If I do notice it, I'll usually pop Mirror and force my way through or I'll wait the second for its duration to end. I do think it'll be more useful later as the difficulty increases and stopping some enemy buffs/clearing debuffs will be more important.

Also, thanks for the Cannister Bomb idea from your Aetherlord thread!

Grohuf 06-17-2015 07:48 PM

Quote:

I think that as 1-point wonder control spells, you could go either way now. If you're using Tempest as a attack spell, then you've got that to take out anything that hordes you and you've got the beam to melt bigger targets. Flash Freeze is a great skill though, I like them both as control spells.
OFF is pretty bad as 1 point skill. I speak about maximizing OFF and AAR.
Tempest for control is bad because it knockbacks. It's hard to damage knockbacked enemies by AAR (it just misses them).
Tempest for damage requires different playstyle than AAR. It's hard to combine two playstyles. I do not tell that this is impossible but it's uncomfortable for me.

doemaen 06-17-2015 08:28 PM

What do you think of a build like this for a chaos/fire/vitality build with insane leech and AoE from Sigil of Consumption and single target damage for high priority targets.

Marcus 06-17-2015 09:05 PM

Hey Wolf, love your videos, keep up the great work. I'm curious about Elemental Balance in your pure Arcanist build. That skill only increases DoT damage, so wouldn't it be better spent in Overload for % elemental?