Grim Dawn Forums

Grim Dawn Forums (http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Development Updates (http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Grim Misadventure #103: Enter Ugdenbog (http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47168)

Zantai 10-10-2016 04:57 PM

Grim Misadventure #103: Enter Ugdenbog

2 Attachment(s)
Welcome to Grim Misadventures, the premier source of all Grim Dawn development news. Since our last update, the game has seen the addition of new items to hunt for with the release of patch v1.0.0.6. More is still to come as we prepare a new Aetherial Roguelike for you to explore as part of a free content update, which will include a wealth of new lore to discover.

But we are also busily chipping away at our upcoming expansion, a pre-order of which is included in the Grim Dawn Loyalist Edition. Last time, we previewed two new monsters coming with the expansion, but that is just the tip of the iceberg. The expansion is absolutely packed with a massive new chapter of the Grim Dawn story, new items, new mastery combinations and more.

Today we’re going to delve into one of the first places you will explore: Ugdenbog.

You already learned about the resilient Ugdenbog Spikeshells, but it’s not just the wildlife you have to worry about when entering one of the most hostile environments in Cairn, one that was avoided even before the Grim Dawn struck. From the toxic plant life to the treacherous paths across the murky waters, Ugdenbog is an inhospitable living hell.

And yet while nobody sane would even consider entering the area after dark, there is evidence of human activity, though perhaps not the kind you would want to socialize with.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/attac...1&d=1476118534

And where there are dark places, so too does darkness thrive. Rumors of insidious worship spread about Ugdenbog long before the Cult of Ch’thon gained a foothold following the arrival of the Aetherials. What foul beliefs thrive in the forsaken bog?

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/attac...1&d=1476118536

Needless to say, it isn’t wise to stir things up in Ugdenbog, but that is precisely where you will need to go as you continue your tireless battle against the Aetherial and Chthonian forces invading Cairn. What could demand such trials from you? Only Inquisitor Creed knows…

Like knowing what is coming up next for Grim Dawn? Check back on 10/24/2016 for the next Grim Misadventure.

PrinceXavieR 10-10-2016 04:59 PM

Awesome update.... let's make the world a grimmer place..

KoalaeiO 10-10-2016 04:59 PM

It looks amazing!

galneon 10-10-2016 05:03 PM

Please stop tweeting fb.me links that never work. One out of ten fb.me links actually work, and yours never do. Enough.

LeftY_CRO 10-10-2016 05:03 PM

looks promising!

Orendist 10-10-2016 05:05 PM

Wow, this dark forest looks very frightening! Make more zones like this!
And new mastery - GREAT!

AlienFromBeyond 10-10-2016 05:08 PM

Will you be increasing the mastery limit? Otherwise I foresee the release of an additional mastery breaking mods that are already at the 30 limit.

arnge 10-10-2016 05:09 PM

Awesome, I love the atmosphere of Ugdenbog already. :D

Garfunkel 10-10-2016 05:09 PM

Quote:

new mastery combinations
So will there be a new mastery in the expansion?

Zantai 10-10-2016 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by galneon (Post 438550)
Please stop tweeting fb.me links that never work. One out of ten fb.me links actually work, and yours never do. Enough.

We looked into fixing them and they appear to be broken yet again... :rolleyes:

Nine 10-10-2016 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garfunkel (Post 438558)
So will there be a new mastery in the expansion?

Yes... How is this not common knowledge by now :confused:

Somerled 10-10-2016 05:12 PM

This thing is shaping up to be very interesting. Grim Dawn lore is best lore.

Garfunkel 10-10-2016 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nine (Post 438560)
Yes... How is this not common knowledge by now :confused:

You know, it is a suprise for me :) Very nice though

galneon 10-10-2016 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zantai (Post 438559)
We looked into fixing them and they appear to be broken yet again... :rolleyes:

I don't know what their problem is, but it isn't just you. Use ANY other shortening service. These links almost never work for me coming from anyone and I just end up having to search Facebook (a platform I do not use) for the linked content.

the8anarchist 10-10-2016 05:14 PM

Huh, been 2 weeks already?

As for who made those grisly things my moneys on wendigo worshipping mad shamans

Garfunkel 10-10-2016 05:17 PM

I wonder if those shaman-like things are in fact something like aura shrines that give nasty powers to the monsters within its radius.

eralduspr 10-10-2016 05:26 PM

Ohhhhh boy... I can't wait to see all the new lore coming up with this new expansion...

That Ugdenbog area looks amazing! I hope we have high chances of getting lost in there... :p

Looking forward for all the new stuff, specially the new gear pieces, the new mastery and hopefully, new components as well.

Xeilua 10-10-2016 05:44 PM

Ugdenbog looks awesome! What happens after nightfall, I wonder? :eek:

medea fleecestealer 10-10-2016 05:46 PM

I have a high chance of getting lost anywhere in Cairn. :D Makes the exploring interesting.

My bet is it's some perverted form of worship of Amatok, Spirit of Winter.

Toxic plant life, great. There goes my death count climbing again. ;)

Kojotek 10-10-2016 05:52 PM

Looking really good. Always a fan of those spooky, foggy forests and swamps. And the human activity probably will be some cannibal tribes, a good addition to the dark side of Cairn. Can't wait to explore every nook and cranny of Ugdenbog :)
And really looking forward to the reveal of the new mastery also!~

Cavar 10-10-2016 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the8anarchist (Post 438564)
Huh, been 2 weeks already?

I thought the same thing.

Cactus 10-10-2016 06:11 PM

Cheers to Crate Developers

Thank you for the amazing game, looks promising!

Edit: "New mastery combinations" instead of a new mastery? What does it mean?

powbam 10-10-2016 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cavar (Post 438582)
I thought the same thing.

Must be contagious cause that's what I was thinking too. Didn't even feel like it's been two weeks since the last.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

powbam 10-10-2016 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cactus (Post 438586)
Edit: "New mastery combinations" instead of a new mastery? What does it mean?

Probably what most of us have long guessed.. More than one. I'm thinking *at least* 2 new ones.

I'm sure they'll cough up more details in a future Misadventure.

Cactus 10-10-2016 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powbam (Post 438588)
Probably what most of us have long guessed.. More than one. I'm thinking *at least* 2 new ones.

I'm sure they'll cough up more details in a future Misadventure.

Oh! If that would come true, :rolleyes:!

Can't wait!

powbam 10-10-2016 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cactus (Post 438589)
Oh! If that would come true, :rolleyes:!

Can't wait!

I'm hoping so too. The more the merrier.

ArachnoPunk 10-10-2016 06:24 PM

Two new masteries? Crate you spoil us so!

MatMB 10-10-2016 06:35 PM

the first pic really reminds me of True Detective (first season of course :p ) and it looks damn scarry. great work, rellay looking forward to that new content !

Kojotek 10-10-2016 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powbam (Post 438588)

Zantai probably meant that you can synergise the skills from the new one with existing ones for 6 new combinations, not 2 completly new ones.

Also I'm wondering if there will be a new hostile faction with a new Nemesis boss and a new friendly faction with a questline and gear/auguments. The Ugdenbog humans could be the hostile one, but I don't think that they will be spreaded across the lenght of whole expansion area. As of course I think that it will take us trough a few different landscapes (fingers-crossed for a desert themed area with some buried ruins)~

powbam 10-10-2016 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kojotek (Post 438597)
Zantai probably meant that you can synergise the skills from the new one with existing ones for 6 new combinations, not 2 completly new ones.

True.. It could be interpreted that way as well. I'm still going to put my money for +2 :)

Guess time will tell.

Mauricius 10-10-2016 07:03 PM

You got me sold at a wealth of new lore to discover. :p:p:p

Ugdenbog looks amazing on that screenshot , the expension is going to be awsome. :D

Dikkiedik 10-10-2016 07:04 PM

Holy Slith balls (not sure if slith have balls, but anyway) I wanna jump 2 weeks into the future right now!!

Garfunkel 10-10-2016 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powbam (Post 438598)
True.. It could be interpreted that way as well. I'm still going to put my money for +2 :)

Guess time will tell.

Too much work for 2 new masteries. Don't forget they have to create a bunch of new items/sets for that mastery, balance everything etc. Besides, they are going to create new Act and new lore, monsters, items...

Ceno 10-10-2016 07:06 PM

inb4 'new Mastery combinations' means...........

Selecting THREE masteries at some point (wasn't there a TQ mod that did that?).

Thundernut 10-10-2016 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powbam (Post 438598)

Guess time will tell.

It could mean a lot of things. I'm hoping two masteries, since there are two that have long been hinted at. The first I think is kind of a lock is some kind of gunslinger class, the second being a necromancer/shadow knight of some sort. I would love both, but as someone else already said every mastery they add is a ton of work and the work for each gets exponentially higher as more are added.

Croc 10-10-2016 07:24 PM

Awesome and spooky.

sauruz 10-10-2016 07:25 PM

murky waters ? we gona see a murloc in there :P ( ahah)

galneon 10-10-2016 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dikkiedik (Post 438605)
Holy Slith balls (not sure if slith have balls, but anyway) I wanna jump 2 weeks into the future right now!!

The males certainly do. They keep them inside a slit, along with their hemipenes. When needed, the hemipenes deploy like landing gears, or, given their spiny nature, arresting hooks. If the balls come down with the hemipenes, something is seriously wrong and the slith should be delivered to the nearest vet. The balls are there, but you should never see them, even if graphics are set to very high.

This is part of the new lore to be discovered.

normalguy 10-10-2016 08:48 PM

Is a man not entitled to his new class? I've rejected all answers

AlienFromBeyond 10-10-2016 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceno (Post 438607)
inb4 'new Mastery combinations' means...........

Selecting THREE masteries at some point (wasn't there a TQ mod that did that?).

Not sure, I think I would remember a mod like that. Being able to pick a third would be kind of sweet, but would generally only be useful for some very low hanging fruit skills/passives due to lack of skill points.