X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All I see is that they’ve shifted +stats to gear since gear has no inherent stat requirements, and they’ve removed nuanced +skill variances and instead gave the player a full suite of actual useful skills to try out and build their character with. Runes, passives, and gear are all entangled into this grand system, something that Diablo 2 had but on a much smaller scale, and I blame rune words for that.

I've played a few of their games on release and other than WoW 1.0 I've not had more than a blip on their newer games.

For example in SC2 launch day was pretty smooth for the most part, most WoW expansions have also been really smooth, possibly a bit laggy.

Ultimately I never expect launch days to be smooth, but it always surprises me when they are.
    _______
    Legendary Fan & KickStart Supporter

Comment

• Originally posted by Renevent View Post
      Anyways I don't want to go on an on about this subject...I do want to play the game and damn been waiting years for this day to come lol.
      Same here, I'm tired of reading about this game, I want to play it.

In the end of the day it's all subjective, it either pushes buttons or it doesn't, simple as that.

BTW: here is some nice skill pool comparison between Sorceress and Wizard, in case choices dilemma.

Comment

• Man they really outdid themselves with the skill choices.
        _______

Comment

• That's kind of a silly comparison considering it's just the same skills with the rune variant...these are not totally different skills. It would be like taking Diablo 2's skills and having a copy for every skill level and synergy or high rune combination.

With that said the number of skills wasn't my concern anyways...I kinda consider D3's skill system to be something like Guild Wars and that's not totally bad. I just wish they stuck to their guns and made it like they originally announced (skill trees, more dynamic runes with multiple power levels, ect).
          Last edited by Renevent; 05-04-2012, 02:43 PM.
          "I've always felt that a person's intelligence is directly reflected by the number of conflicting points of view he can entertain simultaneously on the same topic."

Comment

• that comparison is a cute dick waving contest but i sure as hell don't see the point.

try comparing single classes in use of passive skills and different types of active skills (attack, spell, debuff, buff, summon). with that said you won't find a more nuanced summoner than the necromancer and you wont find a better crowd controller than the witch doctor. the limiting to 6 skill slots still was a big mistake as it limited skill creation severely (don't ask how, apply some creative thinking ). let's wait and see what enemies/enemy compositions they came up with, shall we? (with an emphasis on "let's wait" )

and itemization is still a fucked up concept, multiplied by the fact that they make profits with a flowing item "economy".
            Last edited by durruti; 05-04-2012, 03:08 PM.

Comment

• I bet I could build a great crowd controller Monk, mostly using skills that slow and confuse / blind enemies.

I have 3 Monk builds in mind - the brawler (fist weapons + fist skills).

- The healer (Mostly healing skills).

- The crowd controller, now.

I could probably pull them off depending on how crowd control works in inferno.
              _______

Comment

• I would disagree. A lot (certainly not all) of the rune variants are more different than the skills in D2.

In D2 you had an ice bolt, an ice bolt that exploded in an aoe, and an ice bolt that exploded in a slightly larger aoe. You had 3 different frozen armors (freeze attacker, slow attacker, shoot projectiles at ranged attacker), and 2 different fireballs.

Many of the runes I've tried have had bigger variations than that. The witchdoctor's default firebats (continuous jet of flame, like the D2 firestorm) turned into a giant bat missile that flew sporadically like an unguided rocket and eventually exploded in a huge aoe.

In D2, Bash and Stun were two separate skills for the barbarian, but they are now different runes for his Bash skill instead. I don't think it's fair to say that he had two skills in D2 and that they were condensed into one with slight variations in D3.
                Praise the sun!

Comment

That's kind of a silly comparison considering it's just the same skills with the rune variant...these are not totally different skills. It would be like taking Diablo 2's skills and having a copy for every skill level and synergy or high rune combination.
                  Originally posted by durruti View Post
                  that comparison is a cute dick waving contest but i sure as hell don't see the point.

As far as I know, runed skills have different looks and new mechanics etc, so for me they are totally different, and not the same.

Wanted just to show the pic I found...no need to throw poo, so breathe deeply everyone.

Comment

• I don't think I did throw any poo...

Anyways there is variability in D2's skills as well. Level 1 Summon Skeleton and Level 20 Summon Skeleton are a bit different no?

On that same token some of the D3 runes don't change the underlying skills that much either...some just do more damage.

I guess my point is that image is pretty lopsided.
                    "I've always felt that a person's intelligence is directly reflected by the number of conflicting points of view he can entertain simultaneously on the same topic."

Comment

• never ever "post that pic i found" in an "important [internet] discussion", mindray, never ever do that. you're playing with fire. only you can prevent forum flames.

sorry, if that came off insulting, i will return to my renunciation from all these d3 debates.
                      Last edited by durruti; 05-04-2012, 03:31 PM.

Comment

• My point of the pic was to show there indeed are choices in this game, becasue I heard some folks saying opposite.

hehe durruti, fire in Diablo 3 topic? I hope there is none, but there is always someone with matches.

Comment

• WOW O_O! that sure caused a bit of an uproar there. come back in a few hours and 3 pages of posts hahaha. It was fun going through D2 with multiple barbs and what not. You can't do that in D3. There is always going to be copy cats out there that needs to look up THE build but how many people could say that they beat hell with only warcries or only curses. That is what I am going to miss the most with the new system. I can't see how far i can go with build A or B anymore since i dont get to choose when i get said skill. By no means i think the game sucks or anything but i will miss doing crazy builds and making them work.
                          Last edited by Albedoshin; 05-04-2012, 04:18 PM.
                          You are now looking at a new owner of the Hoarders Edition for $250. :-)

We are that much closer now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scryer View Post
                            You can pre-load the game now without even purchasing it, also I'm getting the CE, thus will be picking it up from Gamestop.

It's really up to you, if you want a physical copy of the disc you can buy it from Best Buy / gamestop ect. Either way you'll end up with the game attached to your Blizzard account and you'll have the ability to download the game whenever / where ever you like.
                            Don't wanna get hit in the crossfire ... so just wanted to add that if you grab the digital edition now, the installer program will D/L 7 gb onto your hard drive. It's a lot smaller than the 42 gb or so from the weekend beta, so presumably there's a lot more to d/l.

Hopefully the D/L servers don't get wrecked on during release, but maybe that was partially what the weekend beta testing about too.

Comment

• 42GB? That sounds like a mistake...I'd be surprised if the whole thing is more than 10GB's.

Comment

42GB? That sounds like a mistake...I'd be surprised if the whole thing is more than 10GB's.
                                Oops, it was 14gb... dunno which part of my ass i pulled the 42 out of.

Comment

Working...
                                X