HOMEGAME GUIDEMEDIAFORUMBuy Now!CRATE

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dark Souls

    I'm surprised no-body has mentioned this game yet, so I thought I might as well.
    It is a console game (PS3/ XB 360), and is the spiritual successor to "Demon Souls".
    It comes out in October.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJHLyzGfXfU

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1563hgmh0uU

    I personally am looking forward to this game more so than ES V: Skyrim, but that's just me.

    And since this game has no nudity or sexual themes, my girl-friend is going to let me play.
    "WOOT"


    Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I would just re-cycle this one.
    The PC version comes out later this month (August 24).
    Here is a new vid..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjWmq...&feature=g-u-u
    Last edited by shawnmck; 08-10-2012, 02:27 AM.

  • #2
    Here is another that shows off a few more classes, such as Witch, Pyromancer, & some other class.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA305RWd3qU

    And some trailers showing off some big bosses.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUQdWwGAFpc

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzpY9y93e8M
    Last edited by shawnmck; 08-12-2011, 06:36 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Since most of us seem to be mainly PC gamers, this game gets overlooked. I like my PS3 and all, but it only cost me $300. My graphics card alone cost that, so finding a good PC game gives me my money's worth, better graphics and typically better customization.

      Comment


      • #4
        I pretty excited about this game...just worried it's a little too "hardcore" for me. I don't have the same reaction time I had when I was a kid.
        "I've always felt that a person's intelligence is directly reflected by the number of conflicting points of view he can entertain simultaneously on the same topic."

        Comment


        • #5
          I really wanted to play more Demon's Soul's. It is still sitting on my shelf unfinished but it's not because it was too difficult, or pissed me off countless times, or anything. It's because there is no way to PAUSE it!

          No pause just doesn't work in a small apartment with a 2 year old and a wife.

          I hope Dark Souls has one.
          AMD Phenom X4 975 3.6//ASUS M3A78-T//8GB DDR2-1066 RAM//GTX 660//Asus Xonar D2X//Crucial C300 64GB SSD//Windows 7 x64//Alpha Tester

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Renevent View Post
            I pretty excited about this game...just worried it's a little too "hardcore" for me. I don't have the same reaction time I had when I was a kid.
            I think I know what you mean...?
            DS is a tough game. It requires a ton of patience. I myself almost gave up on it because the penalty for dying was so stiff.
            But I eventually got better and learned to like the game despite it.
            One reason for me liking it is because it's difficult but more realistic or plausible. The game's difficulty isn't artificially raised by throwing mobs of enemies at you. Just 2 or 3 enemies can be extremely tough (as it would be in real life). Enemies block consistently, try to flank you, and what-not.
            (I really don't like it in games where they make the game more difficult by increasing the number of enemies so that you end up with a large mob against one person, it feels convoluted & exaggerated, but that's just me)

            But my reaction time has also been compromised quite a bit as well. Not just because of age (I'm 41), but also because I have rheumatoid arthritis.
            What helps in this game's favor is that it is a bit more cerebral in that you will actually learn to plan attacks & learn to make adjustments in your technique when you come across newer enemies or bosses.
            It can still be extremely frustrating though, and the Developers have mentioned that they wanted to make it even more difficult then Demons souls.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Kirii View Post
              I really wanted to play more Demon's Soul's. It is still sitting on my shelf unfinished but it's not because it was too difficult, or pissed me off countless times, or anything. It's because there is no way to PAUSE it!

              No pause just doesn't work in a small apartment with a 2 year old and a wife.

              I hope Dark Souls has one.
              As far as I know, it is not going to have a [pause] feature, but I could be wrong. SO far it looks almost identical to demons souls in just about every way, except with some new elements thrown in, such as being more open world, having better check-points via camp-fires, and whatever else.
              There may yet still be a pause feature, but I kinda doubt it.

              Comment


              • #8
                I like a challenge but Demon Souls was beyond that. I heard they did something after I stop playing (shortly after release) to curb the frustration. My biggest complaint with the game was not the difficulty of mobs so much but my inability to save frequently. The last time I spent an hour and a half dungeon crawling and died and ended up back at square one I was done. At least give me some save spots throughout the game.
                Early adopter Legendary Contributor/Supporter.

                "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction"~ Blaise Pascal

                “Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by OneEyeRed View Post
                  I like a challenge but Demon Souls was beyond that. I heard they did something after I stop playing (shortly after release) to curb the frustration. My biggest complaint with the game was not the difficulty of mobs so much but my inability to save frequently. The last time I spent an hour and a half dungeon crawling and died and ended up back at square one I was done. At least give me some save spots throughout the game.
                  If you choose to not buy the game because of it's difficulty & severe penalty for dying, then I totally understand.
                  But the game does allow you to save whenever you want. It also saves regularly. What it does not do is allow you to progress to a certain waypoint unless certain requirements are met.

                  It's the way-point system that is the problem, and I totally agree. The game punishes you for dying, and it sends you all the way back to a starting point of an area and also re-spawns all enemies. That is severe.
                  But it does save. If you managed to pick up a specific item, weapon or armor before you died, then you will find that you still have that same item in your inventory when it re-spawns you.

                  But yeah, the penalty for dying is very severe, and is a bit of a turn-off.
                  However, I think the Developers are trying to lessen things by allowing more way-point areas that are what they call "camp-fires", in which you activate said camp-fire and it becomes your way-point.
                  They are still in pre-set locations, but there are more of them.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Video Review from IGN is up.

                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmLaLqYauTA

                    Here is another from skulloguy

                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTRRr5R5hcw
                    Last edited by shawnmck; 09-30-2011, 10:49 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by shawnmck View Post
                      I think I know what you mean...?
                      DS is a tough game. It requires a ton of patience. I myself almost gave up on it because the penalty for dying was so stiff.
                      But I eventually got better and learned to like the game despite it.
                      One reason for me liking it is because it's difficult but more realistic or plausible. The game's difficulty isn't artificially raised by throwing mobs of enemies at you. Just 2 or 3 enemies can be extremely tough (as it would be in real life). Enemies block consistently, try to flank you, and what-not.
                      (I really don't like it in games where they make the game more difficult by increasing the number of enemies so that you end up with a large mob against one person, it feels convoluted & exaggerated, but that's just me)

                      But my reaction time has also been compromised quite a bit as well. Not just because of age (I'm 41), but also because I have rheumatoid arthritis.
                      What helps in this game's favor is that it is a bit more cerebral in that you will actually learn to plan attacks & learn to make adjustments in your technique when you come across newer enemies or bosses.
                      It can still be extremely frustrating though, and the Developers have mentioned that they wanted to make it even more difficult then Demons souls.
                      That bit about it being even more difficult than the first game is really what worries me. I just hope it doesn't end up be so frustrating that it becomes unfun. To be honest I am not as good at twitch games these days either. Only 30 years young here but I've definetly noticed my reaction time slowing a great deal...and maybe even getting a little lazy in games too. Not sure I have the patience for a game to 'punish' me hehe.

                      Well I pre-ordered the game anyways today...so I guess we'll see how it goes
                      Last edited by Renevent; 09-30-2011, 11:13 PM.
                      "I've always felt that a person's intelligence is directly reflected by the number of conflicting points of view he can entertain simultaneously on the same topic."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I haven't bought a console in a while. But this game makes me wish I had one.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Renevent View Post
                          That bit about it being even more difficult than the first game is really what worries me. I just hope it doesn't end up be so frustrating that it becomes unfun. To be honest I am not as good at twitch games these days either. Only 30 years young here but I've definetly noticed my reaction time slowing a great deal...and maybe even getting a little lazy in games too. Not sure I have the patience for a game to 'punish' me hehe.

                          Well I pre-ordered the game anyways today...so I guess we'll see how it goes
                          I hope you end up liking it.
                          I've heard that in some ways it is harder, and in some ways it is easier. I can't comment myself until it comes out next week and I've had a chance to play it.

                          BTW
                          Have you played Demons Souls before ?
                          Or is this your first experience with the series ?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by shawnmck View Post
                            I hope you end up liking it.
                            I've heard that in some ways it is harder, and in some ways it is easier. I can't comment myself until it comes out next week and I've had a chance to play it.

                            BTW
                            Have you played Demons Souls before ?
                            Or is this your first experience with the series ?
                            First experience

                            I've wanted to play it in the past but don't have a PS3.
                            "I've always felt that a person's intelligence is directly reflected by the number of conflicting points of view he can entertain simultaneously on the same topic."

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Judging from video footage, Dark Souls looks like it plays pretty much identical to Demons Souls.
                              The game is really difficult at first, but it has more to do with the stiff penalty for dying then anything else. When you die you will lose any unspent EXP in the form of souls (which can be recaptured if you make it back to the spot where you died before dying again) and will start back at the beginning of an area (or in this case, a campfire that you activated), and all enemies will have been re-spawned.
                              The learning curve is through the roof.

                              But as long as you take things slow and learn enemy placement & patter, and learn to block, parry, roll effectively, then you will begin to drastically improve.
                              The game isn't difficult in the sense that everything is near impossible to do, only that it is difficult to know what to do in any particular circumstance.
                              This game is all about learning what to do, and what not to do, all the while dying a lot in the process.
                              Once you learn what to do, the game become considerably easier.

                              One of the down-sides to buying this type of game early, is that it may be tough to get On-line and ask for tips on how to beat an area or boss, as they might not have figured it out yet, or missed something that could be of use.

                              But if you can force yourself to be patient with this game, then I can guarantee you that you will eventually end up liking it.
                              Just the boss fights alone are awesome, and there are plenty of them.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X