X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by garkham View Post
    In 10 years, if everything is digital, I won't buy any game anymore. For me equation is : stuff = buy, digital = piracy. I do not buy wind. Unless biiig exception as Grim Dawn.
    Hehe, with me it is the opposite, if it isn't on Steam I *might* buy a physical copy, but more than likely I simply won't bother getting / playing it. Just way more convenient and taking up less space too
    Last edited by mamba; 05-04-2012, 02:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mamba View Post
      Just way more convenient and taking up less space too
      Yeah it suck to have to enter the CD/DVD every time you want to play. Forcing you to get a no-cd crack. That's why steam is so successful, if you want something, you can play it in with only few mouse clicks.

I can say I will often play my boxed editions more than my digital editions when I'm bored, because a box between 10 others stands out way more than an icon in an ocean (>250...).

Comment

Originally posted by medierra View Post
        Saying that it is okay to pirate a digital version of people's work is just a self-serving justification to ease your conscience. Once you install the game on your computer, there is no difference where it came from, you're still playing the same game.
        Thanks medierra for your point of view. I don't try to justify myself nor saying it's okay to pirate. But what I feel inside is that for games (as for CDs and movies) is that it lacks something when I have them digitally only. And this lack prevents for wanting to spend money for them, unless rare exceptions such as Grim Dawn. This feeling won't disappear with the evolution of the society, because I'm a "collector" and need those physical pieces of shit on bookshelves.

I own probably 600 games, 40 CDs and 3 movies - physically. I love going to the cinema or concerts too, it's kind of a digital pleasure ; but when it comes to have it permanently home, I need something outside my hard-drive. It's the same when I play.
        Just a good o' PC game collector who abhors dematerialisation.
        Legendary fan who fell in love with Grim Dawn since Valentine's Day 2012, yet happy owner of a
        Kickstarter's Hoarder's Edition.

Comment

Haha poor you Abel, it took me 1h to download the whole game.

But yeah, i always ended up cracking my cd games to play without cd because it was less of a hassle to go get the cd and then put it in, put the other in its box, go store it...

The era of digital is awsome to me, places where internet lacks, yes are at a loss currently but hey can you remember 20 years ago when playing a 8 bit game was a boner?
          Except some really really rare cases, internet will soon be everywhere
          Currently playing : The Pit : Sword of the stars / Dota 2 / Don't Starve / Age of Empires 2 : Forgotten Empires / Dishonored / Antichamber

Steam Username : Skellt

Comment

Originally posted by Skellt View Post
            Except some really really rare cases, internet will soon be everywhere
            Hot bread?

Comment

Yeah, it really sucks for me. Needles to say online games give me troubles hahaha. So for me, at least now physical is way better :-P
              You are now looking at a new owner of the Hoarders Edition for $250. :-)

We are that much closer now.

Comment

I don't like sport too, but standing up, going to store a game and taking another. I can still handle. And for a long time.
                Just a good o' PC game collector who abhors dematerialisation.
                Legendary fan who fell in love with Grim Dawn since Valentine's Day 2012, yet happy owner of a
                Kickstarter's Hoarder's Edition.

Comment

I personally prefer a physical copy of all my games.
                  Maybe I am a hoarder at heart...or maybe I'm just anal that way.
                  But the point I really wanted to make is that its good to have options.
                  Both forms of media can be accommodated...that way those of you who like Digital can still download everything you want, and people like myself can still buy a physical copy.
                  It is going to be a sad day when one version is forced.

Keep in mind that not everyone has good access to the Internet.
                  I myself live in a bad area of Southern California (near the Mexican border) that has crappy Internet services. There is a better service available, but I cannot afford it, so I put up with the crummy service that I do get, even though I lose connection multiple times throughout the day.
                  It is the reason why I won't be getting Diablo 3. After all, what is the point of buying a game that I can't play..?

But I enjoy to collect favorite pieces of software, whether they be a video-game, music cd, or movie on dvd or blu-ray. It is like my little treasure.
                  BTW
                  I must have like 4 or 5 copies of Titan quest on dvd lying around.

Would love to add Grim Dawn to my collection.

Comment

Originally posted by Albedoshin View Post
                    The Highest one i have found to date is only 10GB per month and then anything over that will be extra money to the bill. Downloading Skyrim puts me over my cap in one day, then i have to wait a whole month for my next download or just bite the bullet and pay a hugh bill. Thats one of the problems i have with the digital over physical.
                    Holy crap you guys have bandwidth limits? I pay $59 for unlimited bandwidth at 20/10 speeds (FTTP)....not too bad I guess, there's better out there. And I thought AT&T was outlandish for imposing a 250GB limit! I mean, if it's a physical limitation for the ISP to provide unlimited bandwidth, ok, but I get the feeling they just enjoy the extra $$...

Now, on topic, I personally love digital downloads. It's convenient, and I always have it for when I switch PC's, or want to manage the space on my HDD it's really easy to swap games out. I do, however, still have my old boxed versions of all the old Black Isle/Interplay (my favorite company ) games and D2/Starcraft
                    Last edited by jmb42088; 05-05-2012, 04:19 AM. Reason: added quote

Comment

yep most of the ISP offer roughly 30 to 100 gb limit.

sometimes 250 through DSL

and then some unlimited plans with buisnesses, you can get them for your house but still
                      Currently playing : The Pit : Sword of the stars / Dota 2 / Don't Starve / Age of Empires 2 : Forgotten Empires / Dishonored / Antichamber

Steam Username : Skellt

Comment

well the current ISP plan Im on has a 100gig bandwidth limit, the higher package is 200gig, but Im not bothered with that one

but at least its a lot better then I was getting, and gives me more room to download stuff

as for boxed VS digital copies, I like digital copies, but I will be having boxed copies of DFA and wasteland 2, but not bothered with GD boxed copy, I still prefer boxed copies for really large games, but now that I got more bandwidth, its not a really big concern anymore
                        Legendary key holder since 20/12/2010

Co-op Digital Deluxe Bundle supporter I hope GD is a success

Comment

I also like having a boxed copy of a game. I enjoy looking at the box art, reading the manual, and looking at any collectibles that may come with the game, and just seeing it on my game shelf. I absolutely hate the idea of my games residing only in "the cloud".
                          I also like having all the files on my computer, and not dependent on an internet connection for whether I can even play or not. That being said I do have some Steam games. The main thing I hate about Steam is when the latest update to a game breaks it, leaving you up the creek until it is fixed. At least with a hard copy you can always uninstall, and reinstall back to the version that worked.
                          If one day the only way you can get a boxed copy IS a collector's edition, then so be it.
                          Or if boxed copies become a "European Thing", then I guess I'll be getting a lot of the Euro versions of games..
                          Grim Dawn Boxed Special Edition

Comment

I buy my games digitally, and my music and movies "boxed".
                            With most games the disc is just a novelty (old version). I like to DL at the moment of launch, and most games I want are not available or are over priced out here in Australia anyway.

If I buy a boxed game its only things like Grim dawn. Stuff that I want to have on my self. Not to even install off, generally I cant justify the added price for a shelf piece.

Unlike an LP, game discs become old; and not in a good way.

*edit* I just justified getting Grim dawn in a box.
                            Last edited by jalex3; 05-18-2012, 08:02 AM.

Comment

I started gaming again when someone pointed out Torchlight to me on Steam. Since then the majority of my games are on Steam and I couldn't be happier with it. It was their sale that brought me to TQ:IT and then eventually to here.

The reasons I like it:
                              1) I can shop online and have the game immediately (download depending).
                              2) I can pre-order games and install them for launch day release.
                              3) I can go to any computer and log into Steam, download the game, and play.
                              4) No physical stuff to keep track of.
                              5) I'm a hoarder at heart, so I love logging into Steam and seeing all my games.

The exceptions here being boxed CEs I bought because I got carried away - Rift (MMO), D3, and GD (just to support Crate).

Although I will admit I typically acquire games via nefarious means and later buy them if I like them on Steam during a sale.

Comment

I don't usually buy boxed games except as an impulse buy at a retail store. That said, I probably could be convinced to purchase some boxed games as collector items if I had a little more disposable income. Digital games are a lot easier, and usually cheaper.

(As to the previous discussion about Steam - don't forget that you can download mods off of there too. I think a centralized database of mods for games is a brilliant idea.)
                                Early Access Edition Backer.

Keep up the great work Crate!

Comment

Working...
                                X