X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elephant paints trees

This is the coolest thing I have seen in ages. I had no idea Elephants were this smart and creative! I have a whole new respect for the animal kingdom!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8J3OqsPG60
    After Void(null) left there was basically no point anymore...

Originally posted by Void(null) View Post
    This is the coolest thing I have seen in ages. I had no idea Elephants were this smart and creative! I have a whole new respect for the animal kingdom!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8J3OqsPG60
    They are not that smart. He was trained to paint that.
    Look into the face of the enemy, and rejoice!
    For to stand before him, to bask in his fury,
    is to tell him that you fear him not,
    and that he is within a sword-thrust of destruction.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragnar View Post
      They are not that smart. He was trained to paint that.
      So was my wife, and Picasso.

Comment

yeah the elephant was been trained to do that, as you can see the keepers hand every so often, so not the same, I do hope the elephant is well treated, sometimes they aren't
        Legendary key holder since 20/12/2010

Co-op Digital Deluxe Bundle supporter I hope GD is a success

Comment

I learned to draw comic book characters by putting a sheet of paper over the lines and drawing over them until I could do it without the lines underneath.

Every so often in art class instructor would take my hand and guide it to let me feel the proper motions. heck my mother did that with me when I was a baby to help me develop drawing circles from squiggles.

While the Elephant is being trained, is that really so different from a human being trained? Granted its not the Elephant sitting down and saying "You know what, I want to paint me some happy little trees today! I see some trees, Im going to paint those!" However she very much is putting paint brush to paper and painting a picture.

Comment

I would liken the elephant more to trained in the sense of how a computer program is being "trained" to create something. He doesn't understand any of it, he just does as he is instructed. He doesn't create, he recreates, which is the difference between an artist and somebody who just copies stuff with no insight in the process or even in the result.

I'm afraid the teaching methods for animals performing such tricks quite often relies on punishment.. I do hope the elephant is being treated well.

Still, it's amazing, I'll give you that.

Comment

What's amazing is that he remembers how to paint what he was trained to paint, not that he's actually painting, because he's not using any creativity at all.

Like I said though, it IS amazing that he remembers how to paint it.

That said this is fairly old iirc, there's a few other clips of these elephants from 2008 i think

Comment

Elephants are intensely smart, one of the smartest animals on the planet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephant_cognition

Kinda why I hate hearing about poaching of elephants and things like that...it's not only the death of an animal that bothers me but they actually grieve over each other's loss.
                Last edited by Renevent; 04-18-2012, 06:39 PM.
                "I've always felt that a person's intelligence is directly reflected by the number of conflicting points of view he can entertain simultaneously on the same topic."

Comment

Originally posted by ASYLUM101 View Post
                  What's amazing is that he remembers how to paint what he was trained to paint
                  What's amazing is that he is painting that with the brush stuck in his nose... let's see Picasso or Void's wife try that!

Comment

Originally posted by Father Squid View Post
                    What's amazing is that he is painting that with the brush stuck in his nose... let's see Picasso or Void's wife try that!
                    Don't tempt me.

Comment

Originally posted by Father Squid View Post
                      It's a bit different than sticking a brush up his nose....
                      The proboscis, or trunk, is a fusion of the nose and upper lip,[42] elongated and specialized to become the elephant's most important and versatile appendage. African elephants are equipped with two fingerlike projections at the tip of their trunk, while Asians have only one. The elephant's trunk is sensitive enough to pick up a single blade of grass, yet strong enough to rip the branches off a tree.
                      It's the elephants "only" arm. :/ (4 legs and an arm/nose/lip)

Comment

Working...
                      X