HOMEGAME GUIDEMEDIAFORUMBuy Now!CRATE

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I'm not having much luck with cats it seems...

    It's only been about 3 months since my old cat Patch, was killed the old neighbours dogs. Tonight I get home and discover that my kitten, whom was only just over a year, has been skittled right outside my house. Ragamuffin was still warm to the touch when she was found and is now burried along side my beloved Patch.
    Last edited by DragonWolf; 04-16-2012, 12:44 PM.
    High Priestess of The Cult of Crate

    Legendary Supporter upgraded to Boxed Deluxe Edition
    I play for grass of course!

  • #2
    Sorry to hear that man.

    Comment


    • #3
      that is bloody heart breaking, Im so sorry, that is really sad
      Legendary key holder since 20/12/2010

      Co-op Digital Deluxe Bundle supporter I hope GD is a success

      Comment


      • #4
        Dragon, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.

        If you need someone to talk to, please feel free to add me on Steam. Just look for Zidders Roofurry. I lost my 12yr old ibizan, Shiner, last August, and i'm still having a tough time getting over losing her. I know what you're going through.

        That being said, and I hope you'll forgive me for saying this, but please, please, please, if you do get another cat, please keep it indoors. I see far too many pet owners like you going through the pain of losing a beloved pet because they let their cat roam free. There are so many dangers out there, and domestic cats were bred to live indoors, not outside. Other peoples pets, wild animals, cars, never mind the damage they do to local flora and fauna. To those pet owners reading this who let their pets roam..please reconsider. It's not only illegal in most states (if you live in the US) but there are far more negatives involved in letting them roam than positives.
        http://www.furaffinity.net/user/zidders/
        "Shared pain is lessened.Shared joy is increased.Thus we refute entropy."
        -Spider Robinson

        Comment


        • #5


          bad luck, that really sucks.

          Comment


          • #6
            Have you considered not letting them outside?

            Judging from the data you have presented you seem to be doing perfectly fine with cats up until the outside variable. If you remove this variable, you may adjust the outcome of the equation to a more desirable one.
            After Void(null) left there was basically no point anymore...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Void(null) View Post
              Have you considered not letting them outside?

              Judging from the data you have presented you seem to be doing perfectly fine with cats up until the outside variable. If you remove this variable, you may adjust the outcome of the equation to a more desirable one.

              One could say that this post was (puts on sunglasses) null and void of emotion. Gosh that was terrible.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Void(null) View Post
                Have you considered not letting them outside?

                Judging from the data you have presented you seem to be doing perfectly fine with cats up until the outside variable. If you remove this variable, you may adjust the outcome of the equation to a more desirable one.
                Cat - Outside = Fat cat --> Heart attack

                Have you considered a dog? If you choose one big enough you could even get a payback from your neighbor.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by varsovie View Post
                  Cat - Outside = Fat cat --> Heart attack
                  Cat + outside = Stolen, hurt by someone elses pet, run over by a car, injured somewhere by something, causing injury to someones pet or some person somewhere, possibly leading to a lawsuit/pet being euthanized, damage done to local flora and fauna-seriously, there are a ton of negatives here. So much can happen and it's SO irresponsible to let a pet run loose. Domestic cats were specifically bred to be indoor companion animals, they are NOT a natural part of the environment. The mere fact that most countries allow domesticated animals is amazing, considering the effect non-native species have on the environment.

                  In fact, one of PETA's main agendas is taking away peoples ability to have pets because they feel it's unnatural for humans to keep animals. Stupid? Very but the reason their arguments make sense to so many people is because there's a grain of truth to it. We're completely responsible for making most dog and cat breeds due to selective breeding, which is why we need to be responsible pet owners, which means keeping dogs and cats inside or giving them fenced in yards and special enclosures so that they stay confined to a specific area and aren't a danger to people or the local ecology. Your cat and dog might be the best pets in the world but an animal that feels threatened or thinks it sees something to hunt and ends up having instinct kick in can be a dangerous thing.

                  If you keep your cat inside and control its diet, you don't have to worry about obesity. We feed our dogs a combination organic dog food and bones and raw food diet. They are extremely fit and healthy (they're ibizan hounds), and it doesn't cost nearly as much as commercial dog food does. It's healthier for them too. Your cat doesn't need to be outside to excercise. Get it something to climb on. Climbing and chasing a laser pointer gives them a pretty decent workout. We have a large yard and we let our dogs run and play together for a few hours each day. If you don't have a yard, many cities and towns have dog parks. You can get them excercise there and they get to socialize with other dogs, which is great for their immune system and for their temperment.
                  http://www.furaffinity.net/user/zidders/
                  "Shared pain is lessened.Shared joy is increased.Thus we refute entropy."
                  -Spider Robinson

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Thelionheart View Post
                    One could say that this post was (puts on sunglasses) null and void of emotion. Gosh that was terrible.
                    Not complete without this.
                    After Void(null) left there was basically no point anymore...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Really sorry to hear that

                      Having never had a pet in my life (apart from goldfish), I was talked into getting a rescue kitten. Going into the rescue centre Ruby took an instant liking to me and kept climbing up onto my shoulders . I never thought I would feel that way about an animal but the bond between us was so strong. She was quite a feral cat that had been discarded in a big town before I took her in. This made her want to explore everywhere. Sadly after 6 months of having her she got ran over by a car . It was the hardest thing in my life so far seeing her in pain at the vets . She lasted another day before dieing of her injuries.

                      I now have 2 more rescue cats and before getting them seriously thought about keeping them indoors. It feels a bit cruel to me keeping them inside, they get so bored and just want to go and play. It is a hard decision to make because of the risks. They are now 2 years old and thankfully do not go far from the house. The worry is always on my mind but I just don't think I could keep them locked indoors all the time.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        This is propably the worst. Coming home and finding your cat dead/dying. Been there...done that.

                        At least I dont know what "skittled" means so it doesn't feel to bad I think.
                        "It may take centuries to rise but once the Ice starts moving even mountains will yield."
                        - Armant, Prophet of the Northern Empire

                        "Buying things enhances my gaming experience."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Dobster View Post
                          They are now 2 years old and thankfully do not go far from the house. The worry is always on my mind but I just don't think I could keep them locked indoors all the time.
                          Dobster, I know this is gonna sound nuts but you can actually train your cats to go out with you on a leash. It takes a bit of time and a lot of patience but trust me, it's a lot better to do that than to let them run loose. Also, try a laser pointer. If you have stairs, zip the laser up and down stairs. Plenty of excercise.

                          I know I sound like a broken record but you're helping your cat more by keeping them indoors than by letting them roam.

                          http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteColl...tsoutandin.pdf
                          http://www.furaffinity.net/user/zidders/
                          "Shared pain is lessened.Shared joy is increased.Thus we refute entropy."
                          -Spider Robinson

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by zidders View Post
                            Cat + outside = Stolen, hurt by someone elses pet, run over by a car, injured somewhere by something, causing injury to someones pet or some person somewhere, possibly leading to a lawsuit/pet being euthanized, damage done to local flora and fauna-seriously, there are a ton of negatives here. So much can happen and it's SO irresponsible to let a pet run loose. Domestic cats were specifically bred to be indoor companion animals, they are NOT a natural part of the environment. The mere fact that most countries allow domesticated animals is amazing, considering the effect non-native species have on the environment.

                            In fact, one of PETA's main agendas is taking away peoples ability to have pets because they feel it's unnatural for humans to keep animals. Stupid? Very but the reason their arguments make sense to so many people is because there's a grain of truth to it. We're completely responsible for making most dog and cat breeds due to selective breeding, which is why we need to be responsible pet owners, which means keeping dogs and cats inside or giving them fenced in yards and special enclosures so that they stay confined to a specific area and aren't a danger to people or the local ecology. Your cat and dog might be the best pets in the world but an animal that feels threatened or thinks it sees something to hunt and ends up having instinct kick in can be a dangerous thing.

                            If you keep your cat inside and control its diet, you don't have to worry about obesity. We feed our dogs a combination organic dog food and bones and raw food diet. They are extremely fit and healthy (they're ibizan hounds), and it doesn't cost nearly as much as commercial dog food does. It's healthier for them too. Your cat doesn't need to be outside to excercise. Get it something to climb on. Climbing and chasing a laser pointer gives them a pretty decent workout. We have a large yard and we let our dogs run and play together for a few hours each day. If you don't have a yard, many cities and towns have dog parks. You can get them excercise there and they get to socialize with other dogs, which is great for their immune system and for their temperment.
                            Zidders, I'm sorry but excuse my French, some of this is a load of ...

                            Where did you get the idea that cats were bred to be indoor companions? Most likely they gravitated to man because the pickings were good around manmade habitations (think mice, rats, voles, etc.). Then humans started feeding them and they found they were on to a really good thing, but it has never stopped their hunting instincts even after thousands of years of "domestication".

                            PETA's arguments make sense if you want to see wholesale slaughter of all those animals who can no longer be kept as pets and who, as a consequence, will become endangered species. After all, where would dogs, cats, etc., fit into any ecosystem in the world as wild animals these days? But yes, I do agree that these days it is better to keep cats in an enclosed area, simply because there are so many dangers in big cities and unfortunately, a lot of people who like to hurt animals and think it's fun.

                            All of my cats have been outdoor roamers and none of them have ever been fat because of it. And as you pointed out regarding your dogs, if cats don't get the opportunity to mix with other cats their immune system can't always cope with illnesses that an outdoor cat would shrug off.

                            Unfortunately, I'm afraid in America the measures you suggest are probably for the best to keep your cats (and dogs) safe, but thankfully in most places in Europe we don't need to go to those lengths.

                            DragonWolf, I'm sorry to hear about your two cats. It's to sad to lose both so close together, especially when one is so young too. We had to have our 16 year old cat put to sleep a few years ago due to cancer and we still miss her very much. But we hope to be able to give another cat a good home soon and I hope you'll find it in your heart to do the same.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X