No announcement yet.
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another cool thing to do would be to have the floor give way in the house and you fall into a cave/tunnel system you need to fight your way out of. Maybe take a little damage during the fall.

I know, easier said than done. lol
    Cavar
    Legendary Key Holder since February 2010

Kickstarter Contributor - Hoarder's Edition - 5/2/2012

Comment

Random houses

I just want to add my 2 cents -- That's definitely looking pretty awesome.

Just makes the wait all that more difficult ..

Comment

Ooo me likey.

I always wanted to be able to see what my dream housewould look like after the apocalypse, and now I can.
        High Priestess of The Cult of Crate

Legendary Supporter upgraded to Boxed Deluxe Edition
        I play for grass of course!

Comment

Originally posted by evil medierra View Post
          I think it would be cooler if the trap caused your computer to blue-screen between you and the exit!
          Yep THAT's grim...!

Comment

Brilliant , trying to find exemples of that in other ARPG ,but no I see nothing in my poor brain database, all close quarter fights have been in dungeons, temples, industrial complexes (the rather poor Restricted Area) so close quarter yes but no Urban fight or then you have to look for non ARPG like Fallout Tactics ,Jagged Alliance or Silent Storm etc to have urban fights like Grim Dawn will be offering with that. And having that in a ARPG is really a nifty idea,will really add more variety to the game.Dunno if other next gen Arpg have thought of that also,but I really love the idea of a sort of above ground dungeon maze area aka urban landscape lol

Comment

After reading Gamespy article, a thought crossed my mind..

Is it possible to have multiple floors in buildings? I mean, can we expect to experience something like below?

- Run into a building
              - Find stairs
              - Go to second/third/whatever upper floor
              - While trying to go out of the house, get blocked/overwhelmed by monsters on the stairs and fight your way through or die

It would be fantastic.. =)
              --TQ:IT Death Effects Mod maker (DEM), Former ASYLUMSMOD, Masteries & Krater(alpha) Tester, Masteries Calculator maker--

Thorough GD info here: www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?p=71628&postcount=1

Best music label of all times: www.g7welcomingcommittee.com/

"Boxed Deluxe Edition" support

Comment

would be cool, and like shoot from cracks in the floor...

Comment

Just to clarify - does this integrate with the randomized barrier engine so the path through the houses will be different each game? *crosses fingers*

Comment

Originally posted by i.n.s.a.n.e View Post
                    After reading Gamespy article, a thought crossed my mind..

Is it possible to have multiple floors in buildings? I mean, can we expect to experience something like below?

- Run into a building
                    - Find stairs
                    - Go to second/third/whatever upper floor
                    - While trying to go out of the house, get blocked/overwhelmed by monsters on the stairs and fight your way through or die

It would be fantastic.. =)
                    Yes, we currently have houses with multiple floors, although, due to the nature of the camera, it isn't possible to be on a floor that is below another floor. So, the way it works is that you'd enter on a bottom floor, then find stairs up to a second floor but the second floor would be adjacent to the first floor, not directly above it, if that makes sense.

Actually, you can sort of see this in the following screenshots, where the first shows the bottom floor entrance to a building and then the second screenshot is after I've run up the stairs to the second story and then you can see some outside stairs going back down out the back.

http://www.grimdawn.com/screenshots/...ront03_lrg.jpg

http://www.grimdawn.com/screenshots/...ront04_lrg.jpg

We have this idea for a ruined mill-town that we want to create where you'd be going into buildings, fighting through different floors, go up on rooftops and walk across little bridges to other buildings, etc. I sort of imagine the look of a bombed out town, like you'd see in WWII photos, where the bottoms of buildings are somewhat intact but the top might be blown off and leaning walls or plant bridges might connect different buildings.

Comment

Originally posted by medierra View Post
                      So, the way it works is that you'd enter on a bottom floor, then find stairs up to a second floor but the second floor would be adjacent to the first floor, not directly above it, if that makes sense.
                      So It's basically a ground floor with decks/half-stories around it serving as higher floors? I guess it's an engine limitation but it actually sounds very good as it gives the illusion of 3D while keeping the map easy to navigate (unlike many 3D maps with indoor environment in them).

T
                      That said, we do plan to sometimes have special breakable wall-pieces that are meant to be a sort of semi-secret way to open up alternate routes through the level. They'd probably be distinguished by some cracking in the wall plaster or whatever that, if you were looking for it, would signal that you could break through.
                      This also sounds nice. Brings back old memories of bombing walls in the original Zelda hoping to find a secret room.
                      But it seems to me that it will be much harder to hide the secret rooms in an isometric map which pretty much shows everything around you. My suggestion would be to deliberately show the players some structural weaknesses so they know there's something behind them, but keep these vulnerable only to some higher level abilities/weapons.
                      This will give some purpose to backtracking throughout the game at higher levels. Many Zelda and "Metroidvania" style games are actually built around this kind of backtracking and discovering new interesting challenges and puzzles in areas the player already went through. This can add longetivity while keeping the game interesting for higher level players, all while reusing existing environments already in the game (which is probably a good thing when you're an independent development team with a limited asset budget ).

Comment

I would LOVE to see a Mutant Giant coming out of the roof of a house -la_Alice in Wonderland... OR OR maybe some part where there are explosives and... oh defining gameplay area... okay >_> (okay enough foolling around I had my fun) Although the idea of destructable houses seems fun, I don't think most people would like to transform this in a Red Faction hybrid... just saying.

Combat in confined spaces you say? Bring my sledgehammer of something!

Comment

That said, we do plan to sometimes have special breakable wall-pieces that are meant to be a sort of semi-secret way to open up alternate routes through the level. They'd probably be distinguished by some cracking in the wall plaster or whatever that, if you were looking for it, would signal that you could break through.
                          Nice. Would definitely love to see more breakable walls in the game. One of the things that bugs me about ARPGs is that environments tend to be static even when monsters and the player are tearing the place apart. The best part about having destructible walls in a game where spells and explosions are flying everywhere is the emergence that happens when you least expect it. You fling an explosive at an enemy, miss, but it hits a a wall which breaks, and your immediate response is, "Oh ... that's a surprise."

Comment

have you tried sims 2? i hate the game, but my gf played it a lot and built a lot of houses. maybe you could get some ideas from there.

Comment

Fun!

This is really cool. I can see alot of frantic, edge of my seat gaming going on with hordes of enemies trying to splatter me all over the interior of these buildings.
                              Fun all around!

GDFTW!
                              Professional Kitten Stomper.

Comment

Working...
                              X