No announcement yet.
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Randomization is one of the very few things about TQ that let me down. It is fantastic to see that you have been able to combine handcrafted exteriors with randomized barriers.

I hope that you are also able to make each alternate path diverse enough. Expecting brutal melee opponents and ending up have to take a path through ranged npcs instead could throw someone for quite a loop (in a good way).

Comment

Even the simple additions of path blocking will add a bunch of variety to the standard maps. While I didn't miss randomization too much in TQ (and I had 45 different characters) I applaud anything that gives replays a bump up. Nice.

Comment

Lookin' Great!

\m/
        "believe in what gods you may, but TRUST in cold hard steel"

-//Legendary Key Holder//-

Comment

Wow! This will add to game's re-playability I think. Great job.

Comment

great update about a great feature, thanks!
            in TQ there were wide areas that bottlenecked so you could essentially choose to take your own route through, but i'd usually stick to my preffered path anyway, just out of habit. mandating alternate routes is a great way for subsequent playthroughs to offer a little something new. i know ill be wondering where the alternate routes are and what they would have had in store when i play.

how about paths that open based on side quests?
            XBL Gamertag: TheDukeOfBeef
            ---------------------------
            i welcome the zombie apocalypse

Comment

Good work on that, I really like it.
              "It may take centuries to rise but once the Ice starts moving even mountains will yield."
              - Armant, Prophet of the Northern Empire

"Buying things enhances my gaming experience."

Comment

Thanks for the update, medierra! This is awesome news!! As was said already, randomization was the only thing missing in TQ. =)

Oh God, I can't wait even more now, it is unbearable!
                --TQ:IT Death Effects Mod maker (DEM), Former ASYLUMSMOD, Masteries & Krater(alpha) Tester, Masteries Calculator maker--

Thorough GD info here: www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?p=71628&postcount=1

Best music label of all times: www.g7welcomingcommittee.com/

"Boxed Deluxe Edition" support

Comment

Looks a bit awkward to my taste. Why do you jam the passage instead of making the wall solid? This kind of "obstacles" annoyed me a lot in Dragon Age 2 and looked very unnatural. Your implementation looks better, but solid wall would be even better in my opinion.

Btw, this wheat field looks very TQish. Maybe a bit better.
                  Working on GrimDawn.ru

Comment

Oh right, medierra, does the pathfinding work with the new randomized content, IIRC you were talking about it being broken with the new system. Might remember wrong though. :P

Comment

Hmm, I don't know which is worse, not getting updates and wondering what happened to the genius',
                      or getting updates and screenshots and not being able to play it yet.
                      Last edited by nighteyes; 11-08-2011, 07:52 AM.

Comment

It's definitely an interesting way to force players to take different routes. The kind of block seems a bit unnatural though, I think I'd prefer to see a closed wall instead of a bunch of debris 'accidentally' growing in the entrance's location.

Comment

Can this implementation dynamically change the path?

I mean it would be cool if a river 's ford is uncrossable during rain.
                          Or for a quest you must go on top of a mountain, there it is two path a series of mines and a little trail on the mountain flank, but blocked by falling trees.
                          So you go in the mines, but a jerk burn all the supports with his napalm catapult and the entrance collapse.
                          So you get on the top of the mountain, kill the jerk and use his catapult to burn the trees and finish the mission on the trail and ashes.

GJ so far, semi randomized quest, path, terrain and enemies will greatly boost the replayability of Grim Dawn.

Comment

Very good job, I can't wait to play this game. Randomization will add replayability... and I strongly want to play the game more than once

Comment

I think this will solve a very important problem that TQ had.

Sometimes the map was too wide. I would always find myself circling the edge of the map and then wandering through the middle of it to collect any extra XP. This always felt very sloppy, like I was somehow cheating the game.

I still hug the edges of the map, just in case I lose a cave or a bone pile or something.

I think with maps designed with barriers in mind it will force players to explore without mindlessly following a single wall.

Comment

Originally posted by kapxapot View Post
                                Looks a bit awkward to my taste. Why do you jam the passage instead of making the wall solid?
                                The level of precision required to properly orient and position a wall piece so it joins up right is not possible with the current tech. The tech that allows us to create randomized barriers was not specifically designed for that purpose. It was designed to create randomized scenery and that scenery has the ability to block pathing. So from that, the idea to use it to create the randomized barriers arose. Getting wall pieces to line up properly would require new tech, which isn't likely to happen. I live in New England, which is covered in old fieldstone farm walls and it is not uncommon to see this very thing where they are interrupted by larger rocks that have brambles and small trees growing among them. It could probably be made to look a lot better if placed by hand but that's what you get with randomized systems.

Comment

Working...
                                X